Spare pistol mag: Bullets to the front? Or to the rear?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you carry your spare magazine?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    How about bullets facing out? Safariland is selling their may carriers that way. The sales guy said it was the same as bullets forward basically, where you "index" it. It seems like less movement may be required than bullets forward. Less twist of the wrist is required I think.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    How about bullets facing out? Safariland is selling their may carriers that way. The sales guy said it was the same as bullets forward basically, where you "index" it. It seems like less movement may be required than bullets forward. Less twist of the wrist is required I think.

Maybe for duty gear? Don't see how carrying a mag with the thick side out being an advantage for casual carry.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    On my duty gear it was bullets up since I wore my mags horizontal strong side in front of my pistol.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

I have seen these and they would be fine for competition but I don't think they would be very practical for EDC. I think it would be as described able to index the finger with less rotation.

In last nights practice session I was able to do a 1.06 reload with bullets forward of course.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    If I may say something here without offending anyone .
    It's nice to see these vids of you guy's with competition belts and speed holsters and such .But how many times are you going to be wearing those rigs in a self defense situation ?
    In all reality you'll either be drawing from an IWB or OWB with a shirt covering it and your mag holders . So could you re shoot your vids showing this drill from your every day carry rigs ?
    I think that would be of much greater education for this thread , at least for me personally and for those of us that have not had a lot of training or shooting competition experience.
    I know your times won't be as fast , but this thread did not appear to be asking how fast your reloads were in competition rigs .

Also Esrice posted some pics showing the two different methods . Front as opposed to rear . My question here is , why would you not just drop the mag instead of trying to hold onto to 2 while make a quick reload ? If you had to make a magazine change quick , release the mag and replace the mag right ? Am I missing something here , I'm nowhere near your skill level , but when I practice I let the empty hit the floor because I have small hands and I never learned to juggle .

Thanks

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Also Esrice posted some pics showing the two different methods . Front as opposed to rear . My question here is , why would you not just drop the mag instead of trying to hold onto to 2 while make a quick reload ? If you had to make a magazine change quick , release the mag and replace the mag right ? Am I missing something here , I'm nowhere near your skill level , but when I practice I let the empty hit the floor because I have small hands and I never learned to juggle .

Very good questions.

What you are referring to (drop mag freely, insert new) is a speed reload. This is most often performed when the gun has run dry, at slide-lock. The goal is to get empty mag out of the gun quickly, so a new one can be inserted. In this case, there is no need to bother retaining the empty magazine.

What I was referring to was a tactical reload. This performed immediately after some rounds are expended, or during a "lull" in the action. Its a way of topping off your gun so that, if you need to fight again, you do so with a fresh ammo source. In this case you want to retain the magazine because it has good rounds still in it. Because of this, it requires some juggling.

It was the tactical reload that I was having trouble doing when I had the bullets facing rearward.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Thanks ecrice for helping me better understand the difference .

I'm still puzzled as to the people posting their race gun rigs in the videos , does a tactical reload mean you'll be wearing your EDC , or that it's only possible to do a video of it while wearing a race rig ?

I doubt much that anyone of those videos is remotely close to an actual tactical reload with an EDC . I would hope that someone will post a video of what your looking so we can all really get a sense of the difference in a real world scenario .

Thanks for the thread , it makes me realize how I need to to get some proper training .

Thunder Ranch comes to mind , lol , I wish .

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    magazine with bullets facing to the back and buttplate of the mag upwards. one smooth motion while keeping eyes on the target and firearm parallel to the ground.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Thanks ecrice for helping me better understand the difference .

I'm still puzzled as to the people posting their race gun rigs in the videos , does a tactical reload mean you'll be wearing your EDC , or that it's only possible to do a video of it while wearing a race rig ?

I doubt much that anyone of those videos is remotely close to an actual tactical reload with an EDC . I would hope that someone will post a video of what your looking so we can all really get a sense of the difference in a real world scenario .

Thanks for the thread , it makes me realize how I need to to get some proper training .

Thunder Ranch comes to mind , lol , I wish .

Haters gonna hate :D

Everyone that has posted a vid is using a "Production" division rig, which means the mag carriers are largely the same ones you would use for EDC. Mine are plain' ol blade techs, same ones I carry with. And I'm reloading the same CZ I carry. The only difference between the rig in the video and my carry setup is the holster, which sits slightly higher and closer to the body, and the belt, which doesn't have velcro (it's a fashion faux-pas, you know :): )
    The other guys are reloading plain ol Glocks. If you think it's just wiz-bang race gear, it isn't.

Now, the point of these videos was to show that, despite all the blather about how much one's wrist needs to rotate, bullets forward is still faster and smoother.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Haters gonna hate :D

Everyone that has posted a vid is using a "Production" division rig, which means the mag carriers are largely the same ones you would use for EDC. Mine are plain' ol blade techs, same ones I carry with. And I'm reloading the same CZ I carry. The only difference between the rig in the video and my carry setup is the holster, which sits slightly higher and closer to the body, and the belt, which doesn't have velcro (it's a fashion faux-pas, you know :): )
    The other guys are reloading plain ol Glocks. If you think it's just wiz-bang race gear, it isn't.

Now, the point of these videos was to show that, despite all the blather about how much one's wrist needs to rotate, bullets forward is still faster and smoother.

So , since you seem to think I'm a Hater , I'll play along .

What you keep showing in your race rig is not what esrice was talking about at all .

Go read his reply to me up a couple of posts , read where he talks about a Tactical Reload vs what you guy's continue to show in your videos .

Nowhere are you doing what he's talking about , so if that point that I made is Hating so be it .

Show me how fast you are drawing from your IWB with your shirt pulled over your gun and mag holder , then do a tactical reload like esrice was talking about .

I'll me more than happy to see a real video of this , instead of how fast you can draw from a competition rig .

Something like this , but with EDC like IWB carry .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z38yTHDDLw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP73_yBYCVs&list=UU1snTCq_ux1LtAhN0rNplaw&index=5&feature=plcphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCTL65YvlC0&feature=related

This is from IWB , he admits he's a little slow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQKHQeAkK8&feature=related

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    bullets forward is still faster and smoother.
    What you keep showing in your race rig is not what esrice was talking about at all .

I don't really think the main argument in "bullets forward" vs. "bullets rearward" is one of speed.

Maybe it is, but I don't see enough guys using "bullets rearward" to make a good comparison. The argument could certainly be made that "most tactical and competition shooters go bullets forward because it is faster", but it could also just be that it is a more widely accepted practice, or that "bullets rearward" just isn't any faster or slower to cause people to make a differentiation.

I'm still not seeing any real major differences, assuming we are comparing people with similar time on the gun with their preferred carry method. Other than what I've pointed out before-- that tactical reloads seem more difficult when the bullets are rearward. (no one has yet to show me how they perform one when they carry "bullets rearward", so its tough to compare)

I see absolutely ZERO advantage to bullets facing backward.

I can think of one, and I stole it from Rob Pincus.

Drawing a magazine from "bullets rearward" does allow one to keep their elbow closer to the body. Drawing from "bullets forward" requires a bit more chicken-winging.

At the end of the day, the differences seems so minor that I don't know if it would be worth a person jumping from one technique to the other.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can think of one, and I stole it from Rob Pincus.

Drawing a magazine from "bullets rearward" does allow one to keep their elbow closer to the body. Drawing from "bullets forward" requires a bit more chicken-winging.

How well does it work sitting in the car?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I tried drawing my mag while sitting in my Jeep.

I didn't see any difference between bullets forward vs rearward.

I must be doing something wrong?

Top Bottom