Spare pistol mag: Bullets to the front? Or to the rear?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you carry your spare magazine?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Who was your mcsd instructor? That's not how it's being taught there now. :D

I actually learned it when I attended an IPD firearms qualification course in 1996 (along with a couple other "non-police-academy" folks). That was the way it was being taught, as I recall. When I went through the Special Deputy program in 1998, I don't believe our "instructor" expressed a preference; I simply kept on with what I had learned. For a couple years after I became a part-time Special Deputy, IPD/MCSD were still sharing ECPR and conducting joint training. By the time they split up again, my preferences were pretty well cemented in place.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm still looking for a good, clear video of how one does the rear-facing bullets mag draw.

I don't know if I was doing it right in my video, it was the only thing I could come up with that seemed logical.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Never saw a man in combat leave his weapon up to eye level, rotate it 90ish degrees while twisting off target to reload as shown in the posted videos, except in combat video games.

How long ago did you see combat? Could the TTPs have changed since then? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but a lot has changed in terms of close-quarters and urban tactics in the past decade. Many recent vets-turned-trainers are teaching "workspace" just in front of the eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDp6x3FHsQ

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I carry my spare mag in a horizontal knife sheath with the bullets facing downward. It's then a natural move to grab it with my thumb and a couple fingers and load my sidearm without having to turn the mag. I prefer a horizontal because it doesn't hinder or print when bending over or sitting down--rides nicely on my support side.

kalbksth.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I carry my spare mag in a horizontal knife sheath with the bullets facing downward. It's then a natural move to grab it with my thumb and a couple fingers and load my sidearm without having to turn the mag. I prefer a horizontal because it doesn't hinder or print when bending over or sitting down--rides nicely on my support side.

I saw some mag holder like that somewhere, has the mag ride with the belt, thought it was a neat concept. I like your method here even better.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I saw some mag holder like that somewhere, has the mag ride with the belt, thought it was a neat concept. I like your method here even better.

These only cost between $5-$7 at the Army Surplus store too. They also have the flap that closes over the front of the sheath to keep the mag in place. It comes open quickly & easily too.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I apologize for not having any pics/video for show and tell. I got a mac and I'm learning how to use it--next will be knowing how to upload them to a specific thread.
    I canabalized a method I was taught 30+yrs ago in the IDF for reloading an M16 (I don't know if that method is still taught).
    step 1) turn the new mag 45 deg. forward below the mag well, about 3/4 the length of the mag.
    step 2) release the old mag. into the bottom half of your palm and hold it with your bottom 3 fingers and remove it.
    step 3) insert the new mag. as normal.
    Ok so I had some time to actually sit down and try the "rearward" method.

I was looking for breakdowns in the technique.

As GBuck/Rob Pincus/Roadie and others have pointed out, it certainly works, and it is able to be done without chicken-winging so much. With some practice I'm sure I could get better/faster with it.

That being said, I had some issues when it came to "tactical" reloads ie removing and retaining a partial magazine and inserting a full one. I don't know if you "bullets rearward" guys have a preferred technique, but I wasn't getting it.

To break it down further, I snapped a few pics.

Here is how I would normally remove a magazine from a pouch (bullets forward).
    16apee9.jpg

Here is how GBuck does it (bullets rearward).
    qrg043.jpg

With bullets forward, I index off of two points-- the bullet tip/index finger, and baseplate/palm.
    209t73b.jpg

xof7k8.jpg

And it looks like this.
    2an3ab.jpg

k318o5.jpg

Even with bullets rearward, GBuck indexes off the same two points. The difference is in how the magazine is oriented in the hand.

8z4aph.jpg

34nfmec.jpg

Now when I perform a tactical reload, I move my index finger over to the side of the magazine, so I can pinch the partial mag as it falls from the gun. I then insert the full mag and slam it home with my palm.

Like this.
    5zffiv.jpg

nr17q9.jpg

28hpeg9.jpg

Now if I attempt to tac-load using the bullets rearward technique, it looks like this.

33tqx6o.jpg

155m9w2.jpg

You'll note that the full magazine is oriented 90 degrees off, which means I have to split my fingers further apart, which isn't as easy or comfortable.

The other (and more important) problem is that the partial mag would hinder insertion of the full magazine, hitting me in the forearm. This is due to the 90 degree turn of the full magazine.

4tqb9z.jpg

The quick "fix" for this was to simply rotate the magazine in my hand as I went from pouch to gun, thereby putting it in the same orientation as it would've been if I had removed it from a bullets forward position in the first place.

To the bullets rearward guys-- how to you perform a tactical reload? Am I missing something?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Last edited:

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My time on top was short and sweet. Nicely done RVB.

On my way to the range I realized that in the car I had 4 devices capable of recording video. It's possible that carrying magazines bullet backward is some how related to technophobia.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    How long ago did you see combat? Could the TTPs have changed since then? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but a lot has changed in terms of close-quarters and urban tactics in the past decade. Many recent vets-turned-trainers are teaching "workspace" just in front of the eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDp6x3FHsQ

OMG....he's talking about efficiency and using the slide release! Tactical Timmy heads everywhere just exploded. :laugh:

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Not really i show the students the how and whys of each and let them decide

but there are other factors that go with each as well

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Bullets FWD = sub 1s

Bullets backward guys- the time to beat is 1.40, shot to shot at 7yds. Make with the videos! Prove yourselves! :laugh: (I kid, I kid. Just a little friendly competition ;) )

New time to beat is 0.99 seconds.

Bone stock G19. About 5 yds (sorry, Rob, forgot you specified a distance). Using my competition belt/holster/pouch rig and G17 mags cause, well, that's what I had with me. Draw was 0.81! :eek:

Where's the bullets-backwards vids?? ;)

-rvb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0NL0Af_SI

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    New time to beat is 0.99 seconds.

Bone stock G19. About 5 yds (sorry, Rob, forgot you specified a distance). Using my competition belt/holster/pouch rig and G17 mags cause, well, that's what I had with me. Draw was 0.81! :eek:

Where's the bullets-backwards vids?? ;)

-rvb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0NL0Af_SI

I'm sure that 2yds made all the difference in the world. :):

Scary fast, nicely done! I'm gonna go dry fire some more now. :n00b:

H&SFarms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Southeastern Indiana
    The opening of the pouch is toward the middle of my body. I am right handed so my mag pouch is on my right side just in front of my holster, the opening toward the middle of my body. I use my weak hand to grasp the mag. I will try to post more pics when I have time to try to clarify how I do it.

this is a picture I found on Google that shows how my mag ouch is placed on my belt.

imgres

How do you perform a tactical reload? Do you turn the mag in your hand?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Top Bottom