Spare pistol mag: Bullets to the front? Or to the rear?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you carry your spare magazine?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I was going to go through taking pictures tonight, but I don't carry a spare mag whilst going to work.

I did find a semi helpful halfway picture of a bullet forward reload...I think we all know how to get to this point from a bullet forward approach.
    pistol-magazine-reload.jpg

Which you simply lower your loading elbow down and to your side while raising the hand to the magwell for this:
    imag0121.jpg

This way give you a good grip on the mag from hold tp magwell, and allows you to not stare at the gun and keep your eyes on target. It really is the most beneficial way with the least amount of movement. The shortest distance between mag and magwell is a straight line...or arc in this case :-)

what I am trying to say, is the wrist naturally turns as you lower your elbow into the natural orientation for the load. Take your hand and point it up palm towards you. Thenhen rotate it down to where the mag would be. Your wrist shouldn't move, that's all at the elbow :-)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Last edited:

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Forward.

The one I don't get is the guys who have a double mag pouch with one going each way. I see a lot of that, and sometimes from people who know a thing or two (Bill Jeans for one). Some of the older mag pouches were made that way, but I always assumed it was because it was easier to make or because nobody had much if a preference back then. Now I see people doing it by choice.

Oh yeah- Garand: Bullets down.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Understood, more thinking about the fact that I can tuck my gun pretty well in my IWB holster, but these may be a bit more interesting to deal with from a concealment standpoint.

Raven Concealment makes mag pouches which use their "tuckable" attachments. That might work well for your purposes.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I carry my spare mags bullet-front forward/up because that's the way IPD/MCSD was teaching it when I was taught. It only took a couple of years of tactical reloading during qualifications to become second-nature and I don't see any reason to change what my body has already learned and assimilated.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    still hard to make out what he's doing.

Is he indexing the side of the mag, then the side of the gun as brings it to the magwell?

Looks like his index finer is kind of along the front corner of the mag at a bit of an angle, but fingertip on the front of the round, touching fingertip to the front of the magwell..

picture.php

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Looks like his index finer is kind of along the front corner of the mag at a bit of an angle, but fingertip on the front of the round, touching fingertip to the front of the magwell..

right, but he would have to have rolled the mag in his hand to get it there.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    right, but he would have to have rolled the mag in his hand to get it there.

Nope, watch the vid again. He has to roll it to get it in when he does it with mag facing forward, but not when the mag is facing back.

Arms goes back, palm of hand toward body, thumb down..
    Grasp mag, thumb in front(back of mag), Index finger to the rear(front of mag)
    pull up, point finger along mag edge
    Pull mag rest of the way up and out, move hand til index finger is forward, straight shot up into magwell

Almost same exact movements as pulling your handgun from the holster..

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok so I had some time to actually sit down and try the "rearward" method.

I was looking for breakdowns in the technique.

As GBuck/Rob Pincus/Roadie and others have pointed out, it certainly works, and it is able to be done without chicken-winging so much. With some practice I'm sure I could get better/faster with it.

That being said, I had some issues when it came to "tactical" reloads ie removing and retaining a partial magazine and inserting a full one. I don't know if you "bullets rearward" guys have a preferred technique, but I wasn't getting it.

To break it down further, I snapped a few pics.

Here is how I would normally remove a magazine from a pouch (bullets forward).
    16apee9.jpg

Here is how GBuck does it (bullets rearward).
    qrg043.jpg

With bullets forward, I index off of two points-- the bullet tip/index finger, and baseplate/palm.
    209t73b.jpg

xof7k8.jpg

And it looks like this.
    2an3ab.jpg

k318o5.jpg

Even with bullets rearward, GBuck indexes off the same two points. The difference is in how the magazine is oriented in the hand.

8z4aph.jpg

34nfmec.jpg

Now when I perform a tactical reload, I move my index finger over to the side of the magazine, so I can pinch the partial mag as it falls from the gun. I then insert the full mag and slam it home with my palm.

Like this.
    5zffiv.jpg

nr17q9.jpg

28hpeg9.jpg

Now if I attempt to tac-load using the bullets rearward technique, it looks like this.

33tqx6o.jpg

155m9w2.jpg

You'll note that the full magazine is oriented 90 degrees off, which means I have to split my fingers further apart, which isn't as easy or comfortable.

The other (and more important) problem is that the partial mag would hinder insertion of the full magazine, hitting me in the forearm. This is due to the 90 degree turn of the full magazine.

4tqb9z.jpg

The quick "fix" for this was to simply rotate the magazine in my hand as I went from pouch to gun, thereby putting it in the same orientation as it would've been if I had removed it from a bullets forward position in the first place.

To the bullets rearward guys-- how to you perform a tactical reload? Am I missing something?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Evan,

I have to admit, tactical reloads are something I dont practice near enough, so I really dont have any input on that. i will try it and see what I find.. However, you might have hit upon why I was struggling with tac reloads at the MDFI Handgun I class..

Hmm, more to ponder..

Thanks for the pics btw..

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    :laugh: (I kid, I kid. Just a little friendly competition ;) )

Thanks for the video Rob! Those were some pretty slick reloads.

Off-topic question-- what was that ending procedure you were performing there at the rear of the slide?

Top Bottom