• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not much of a fan. That show is good for a laugh if you can get through more than a couple of minutes. They had a segment on an Arisaka and went into how super rare they are and how they had to special load some light rounds for it. I was ROTFL when they made a big deal of pulling bullets. Slow mo and all, saying how dangerous it was and hopefully it doesn't explode.

Or, the segment where they put a scope on a .308 Saiga, declaring it to be the first sniper AK. Sure, the bull barrel was nice, but they over dramatize just about everything they do. I'm guessing that they are far from the first to scope any Saiga, including the .308.

It's not my favorite show, but it does beat a sharp stick in the eye.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    IMHO the show does more way damage than good for the shooting community. I for one would like to see it either make some serious changes or go away. Sorry SOG fans.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It was amusing listening them opine about future military contracts and "playing with the big boys" because they were able to weld a couple pieces of flat stock together, drill a couple holes in it and make a pivoting mount. That looked like something ANYONE with basic welding skills could've done in their basement, but they make it sound like some breakthrough achievement.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    It was amusing listening them opine about future military contracts and "playing with the big boys" because they were able to weld a couple pieces of flat stock together, drill a couple holes in it and make a pivoting mount. That looked like something ANYONE with basic welding skills could've done in their basement, but they make it sound like some breakthrough achievement.

Dont forget they painted it black too!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I used to like the show when it first started. Now I think it's headed in the same direction as most reality shows. You have an increasingly irritating, arrogant owner who thinks he's the greatest gun builder in the world, the off-spring who thinks she's America's newest heart throb (even though it looks like she swallowed an inner-tube) and then there's the Keebler Elves in the back room.

It's just a matter of time before they split up, one sues the other, they build individual business's and start build-off competitions with each other.

:)

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Even my sons, 10&7, think its corny. It always seems like they are modifying an AK or AR something. Its amazing what you can do with a drill press, lathe, DeWalt drill, welder and black spray paint. "Game changer".

No offense to the fans of SoG... I would still watch Star Trek but they dont run them anymore.

Message to History Channel: PLEASE bring back "History of the Gun" and produce new episodes. That was a very informative series. How about making an episode for each manufacturer. I personally would love to see HK's, SIG's, S&W, etc operations. That would be cool. imo.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Even my sons, 10&7, think its corny. It always seems like they are modifying an AK or AR something. Its amazing what you can do with a drill press, lathe, DeWalt drill, welder and black spray paint. "Game changer".

No offense to the fans of SoG... I would still watch Star Trek but they dont run them anymore.

Message to History Channel: PLEASE bring back "History of the Gun" and produce new episodes. That was a very informative series. How about making an episode for each manufacturer. I personally would love to see HK's, SIG's, S&W, etc operations. That would be cool. imo.

I agree, that show had alot of good info in it and no drama!

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    How about the "Chumly" of the show Criss? Spends all of his time (at least in front of the camera) chasing Will's daughter, getting everyone else to do his work, eaves dropping on conversations and giggling like a school girl. He wouldn't have a job if he worked for me. I agree, bring on more episodes of History Of The Gun. Way better show!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    How about the "Chumly" of the show Criss? Spends all of his time (at least in front of the camera) chasing Will's daughter, getting everyone else to do his work, eaves dropping on conversations and giggling like a school girl. He wouldn't have a job if he worked for me. I agree, bring on more episodes of History Of The Gun. Way better show!

Hey, don't knock Chumley. =)

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    I watch it, but I wished there was more about building the guns than any of the drama they have!:rolleyes: They get to play with all the cool toys:rockwoot:
    Things I don't understand, they built 4 Mg42's and built a cradel/turret.
    I didn't see who the guy was that ordered it? Those Mg 42's can only be mfg. for the sale to LEF or the military:ar15: What Law enforcement needs 4 Hitler's Buzz saws on a mount?:dunno::dunno:
    Maybe the guy that ordered it is a private contractor working over seas :xmad:
    if that is true all of us that can't afford a class 3 weapon is getting screwed!!:xmad: I havn't seen any revised Provision to the May 1986 Bill.:draw:Don't get me wrong, I like the show and watch it!
    I just think that fair for one is the same for use others! Back in the early 80's when a person could buy a select fire class 3 gun for $1500.00 and drop in auto sear were $150.00 the great state of Kansas wasn't a class 3 state:xmad: In 06-07 we be came a class 3 state, those $1500.00 guns are $5000.00 and if you can find a registered Auto sear you are going to pay $12,500.00 at least.
    Just my :twocents:
    Greg

localone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    NW Indiana
    After watching last season and seein the promote that 1919 like crazy I was tempting to putmine up for sale and raking in on the show. All my sons friends dads were wanting them like crazy after the show aired

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    IMHO the show does more way damage than good for the shooting community. I for one would like to see it either make some serious changes or go away. Sorry SOG fans.

You're probably right. Top Shot reflects much better on gun owners than SOG does. SOG makes gun owners look like a bunch of yahoos that simply want to make the biggest bang they can. Both have their share of un-needed drama, but Top Shot focus's on marksmanship and ability where as SOG seems to focus on the drama with the guns playing a minor role. The owner does come across as a self important prick.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I watch it, but I wished there was more about building the guns than any of the drama they have!:rolleyes: They get to play with all the cool toys:rockwoot:
    Things I don't understand, they built 4 Mg42's and built a cradel/turret.
    I didn't see who the guy was that ordered it? Those Mg 42's can only be mfg. for the sale to LEF or the military:ar15: What Law enforcement needs 4 Hitler's Buzz saws on a mount?:dunno::dunno:
    Maybe the guy that ordered it is a private contractor working over seas :xmad:
    if that is true all of us that can't afford a class 3 weapon is getting screwed!!:xmad: I havn't seen any revised Provision to the May 1986 Bill.:draw:Don't get me wrong, I like the show and watch it!
    I just think that fair for one is the same for use others! Back in the early 80's when a person could buy a select fire class 3 gun for $1500.00 and drop in auto sear were $150.00 the great state of Kansas wasn't a class 3 state:xmad: In 06-07 we be came a class 3 state, those $1500.00 guns are $5000.00 and if you can find a registered Auto sear you are going to pay $12,500.00 at least.
    Just my :twocents:
    Greg

The buyer wanted the guns for half a dozen special events that he had throughout the year. Will told him they could build the guns, but a RJ employee would have to accompany them to the shoots. Basically, it's more or less a "rental" setup. The guns would be post-samples and could not be owned by the buyer.

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    RY, Thanks!! I was just talking to my brother in law, and that is what we were talking about. I would say that 90% of the builds will stay with RJ. Thats is COOL.
    Later
    Greg

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Things like this make it difficult for me to watch the show.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BoRCcRsjAQ[/ame]

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    How could she be faking?? She's a gun expert! ;)

At least she's not jumping from helicopters like her dad and screaming, "DON'T YOU WISH YOU WERE ME"!!!.

Top Bottom