Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Full details:

8444940752_95a6a867c8_b.jpg

japartridge

Master
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    OK, so now I'm thinking about doing this one... Only problem is getting ammo for my vz.58... the only 7.62x39mm I've found lately is so horrendously overpriced that I just refuse to do it! I'd just dip into my reserves, but they are lower than I like right now as well. Plus I really want my RDS... damn, gotta get my **** together!

I'm in the process of getting a Savvy Sniper sling, anyone have any experience with this kind of tactical sling at an Appleseed? I still have my original Czech sling for it as well, but it's not exactly useful! hmmmmm

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    JA,

If you are willing to shoot yugo surplus then we can probably get you a supply at original cost from my stockpile.

Techres

japartridge

Master
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    JA,

If you are willing to shoot yugo surplus then we can probably get you a supply at original cost from my stockpile.

Techres

Tech, I may just take you up on that! My vz is chrome lined and loves surplus stuff! hmmm, OK, so now I need to get my RDS (optional) and hopefully my UW gear chestrig will be in my grubby mitts in time. I know I can ring steel about 75% of the time at 100 meters, I'd love to get good enough to be able to do that at 400 - 500... man that's going to be a heck of a hold over on 7.62x39! :D

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Tech, I may just take you up on that! My vz is chrome lined and loves surplus stuff! hmmm, OK, so now I need to get my RDS (optional) and hopefully my UW gear chestrig will be in my grubby mitts in time. I know I can ring steel about 75% of the time at 100 meters, I'd love to get good enough to be able to do that at 400 - 500... man that's going to be a heck of a hold over on 7.62x39! :D

japartridge,

Something to consider about red dot sights (RDS).

I shot my first Appleseed with an Aimpoint that had a 4 MOA dot. The Appleseed targets on the bottom row are 4MOA across so my red dot covered the target! Even with a 2MOA dot, much of the target will be obscured.

It's not impossible to use the RDS, but I would recommend you consider either open sights or magnified optics.

For folks with standard eyesight, you will be surprised what you can hit with open sights. As you age, you discover the joys of magnified scopes! :)

japartridge

Master
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    japartridge,

I shot my first Appleseed with an Aimpoint that had a 4 MOA dot. The Appleseed targets on the bottom row are 4MOA across so my red dot covered the target! Even with a 2MOA dot, much of the target will be obscured.

It's not impossible to use the RDS, but I would recommend you consider either open sights or magnified optics.

For folks with standard eyesight, you will be surprised what you can hit with open sights. As you age, you discover the joys of magnified scopes! :)

I'm getting to the point that irons are hard... I can hit about 75% with irons at 100 meters, only about 25% at 200... haven't tried beyond that! of course that was with a sling that was not the correct size, or suited for my vz. hmmm, I'd probably end up with only irons anyway... hmmmm,

tyme2climb

Plinker
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    Just learned about Appleseed; want to attend, but I'm not a semiauto guy. I have read the what to bring pdf on their site, but my son inherited my .22 this year, so could I bring a bolt action .17 mach2 w/detachable mag and a Rem 700 for the centerfire? I would like to train with what I hunt with.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Just learned about Appleseed; want to attend, but I'm not a semiauto guy. I have read the what to bring pdf on their site, but my son inherited my .22 this year, so could I bring a bolt action .17 mach2 w/detachable mag and a Rem 700 for the centerfire? I would like to train with what I hunt with.

Those will do fine at a first seed. This event presumes that you have attended an Appleseed first and have learned the foundations that we teach at that event.

Once you do that and come to one of the advanced events like this one, you should bring the Rem 700 and it will be fine. As for rimfire, it is not going to be a good choice for what is being done.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Very tempting. You "RWVA hat wearers" have teased me several times now hinting at 500 yards @ Atterbury. :stickpoke:

I have several bolt action WWI/II era guns to pick from. All have iron sights. Trying to put 10 rounds downrange @ 500 yds with one of these gals under the stop watch might be tough. The ammo is pretty rare and hard to find for some of them too though.

Should I stick to something more modern and reliable?

tyme2climb

Plinker
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    Those will do fine at a first seed. This event presumes that you have attended an Appleseed first and have learned the foundations that we teach at that event.

Once you do that and come to one of the advanced events like this one, you should bring the Rem 700 and it will be fine. As for rimfire, it is not going to be a good choice for what is being done.

Thanks, should have been more clear; this would be my first Appleseed. April event per website. Would I be better off w/ a Garand at 1st event or bring to 2nd? That is an option. My 700 shoots mighty expensive ammo (.257 Wby Mag):spend: If shooting lots of centerfire at 1st event, could borrow brother's M1.

Boba

Marksman
    Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks, should have been more clear; this would be my first Appleseed. April event per website. Would I be better off w/ a Garand at 1st event or bring to 2nd? That is an option. My 700 shoots mighty expensive ammo (.257 Wby Mag):spend: If shooting lots of centerfire at 1st event, could borrow brother's M1.

I would recommend your .17 for your primary for your first Appleseed. If you end up doing long range at the end of the second day, bring your centerfire (Garand or Rem 700) as a back up. :twocents:

Have fun!
    :yesway:

lucky4034

Master
    Jan 14, 2012

With the amount of ammo you will spend... you are better off purchasing a 22lr (if you don't have one).... At 3-5 cents a shot, it will literally pay for itself by the end of the weekend.

I picked up an extra Appleseed rifle from Walmart about a month ago... Savage Model 64 = $135. Comes with iron sights and a built in rail if you want to use a scope. Extra mag on ebay is about $25. Add a sling and a brick of 22lr and you are in it for about $200 and have an extra rifle that will hold some value and give you a return on your investment if you don't like it.

Last edited:

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    japartridge,

For shooters with a RDS I teach them to use the 6 o'clock hold. This allows the shooter to have full view of the target and a good solid aiming point just like iron sights. It works great, I have had many shooters shoot Rifleman score with their 4 moa RDS as I have shot mine out to 500 yards with success. Where there is a will there is a way, run what you got.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    10ring & I are thinking about going. I've posted on the Indiana Appleseed facebook page about it a couple times. I'm not sure which one of you Hat wearing instructors monitor that page but you know I have one of YHJ's rifleman books. ;)

I'm hoping to firm up some plans this week.

I can't see all the pics and links above due to web filtering @ the office. Could someone give me a better idea on start/stop times? Course of fire? Round count? I might want to try a bolt action iron sight gun. I'm not sure yet.

That info will give me a better idea what gun(s) & ammo to bring. Thank you!

Top Bottom