• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    Appleseed info

Just an FYI to all you who have been following this thread, I just checked the Appleseed website schedule and guess what I found for March 23???

THIS

Hmmmm, 400 yards. No to get to a regular Appleseed event! :woot:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    :) :) :) :) :)

Ummmmmmmmm sounds good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like Im in!

now the question is: M1? AR? AK? OR 5.45 AR? ;)

mk2ja

Master
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Wait, how far out does the regular Appleseed go?

I only did a mini Appleseed, and I didn't actually qualify there. But does my military marksmanship qualification qualify me?

And perhaps more importantly, I hope there will be one in my area!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Wait, how far out does the regular Appleseed go?

I only did a mini Appleseed, and I didn't actually qualify there. But does my military marksmanship qualification qualify me?

And perhaps more importantly, I hope there will be one in my area!

25 yards and then recently they started adding 100 or 200 yards to the end of the 2nd day.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    But the targets get smaller, so you're really going out further than just the 25. I forget how far out it simulated.

The last row of targets simulates a range of 400 yards. Check the Appleseed site for shoots in your area. I think prior Appleseed participation is all you need to get into one of the KD shoots. Check the info for the particular shoot to be sure.

BTW, THANK YOU! for your service.

brian

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    The AQT simulates a 400 meter target. The specific design of the AQT is to simulate the test as it was given in the 40's. Some military shooting scholars consider the marksmanship training in this era to be the zenith of American rifle instruction.

To be clear on one thing. Any Appleseed that can shoot at full distance will shoot at full distances given range availability. One of the unfortunate realities that Project Appleseed discovered as it really started to grow in 09 and 10 was that there are fewer than 30 ranges in the country where AQTs can be shot at full distance with an average crowd shooting together. Most ranges just can't handle the distance because of lack of facilities, fear of encroachment, etc. Indiana is really lucky because we have access to Atterbury and a few other ranges that can handle them. now we just need more Hoosiers that can actual shoot.

The reason that Appleseed uses 25meters is because it is actually an ideal range for practice. A 4moa target, the standard of a Rifleman's QuarterMile, is about an inch at 25. A piece of quarter inch graph paper makes an excellent target for analysis. (By the way, I have the facilities to shoot out to much longer distances but still prefer to shoot at 25 for most of my practice thanks to the education of Appleseed) You can check targets much easier because you don't have to walk as much.

Not only that, but as many of you Seeders will remember the Red Coat target at the beginning of Saturday gives you an idea of how effective you can be at different ranges. I recently went down to supervise a full distance shoot in Kentucky and we shot a Red Coat first, as usual. We then had the shooters shoot targets at the actual distances. Stunningly, the Red Coat exactly predicted their ability to keep shots on the full size targets. The numbers were exactly the same.

Boba

Marksman
    Jan 23, 2013
    The AQT simulates a 400 meter target. The specific design of the AQT is to simulate the test as it was given in the 40's. Some military shooting scholars consider the marksmanship training in this era to be the zenith of American rifle instruction.

Not only that, but as many of you Seeders will remember the Red Coat target at the beginning of Saturday gives you an idea of how effective you can be at different ranges. I recently went down to supervise a full distance shoot in Kentucky and we shot a Red Coat first, as usual. We then had the shooters shoot targets at the actual distances. Stunningly, the Red Coat exactly predicted their ability to keep shots on the full size targets. The numbers were exactly the same.

:yesway::yesway: AWESOME!! I'll keep plinking at my redcoat targets.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Rayne, here is the answer to where:

8433149368_80834e00ce_c.jpg

That give you where and when, the rest is just math. And the sum total is:

You have to go!

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Rayne, here is the answer to where:

8433149368_80834e00ce_c.jpg

That give you where and when, the rest is just math. And the sum total is:

You have to go!

Ok so here come the questions...remember my Remington 22-250 that I shot at m first seed in Brown County? It doesn't have an external magazine but has an internal magazine box that will hold 4 rounds plus one in the chamber.
    Being as this is different than a normal Appleseed will this rifle work for this KD Appleseed? Or will I need more than five rounds at one time?

I'm not sure it will matter what rifle I can use, as I am looking at possible surgery on my elbow. All my shooting plans are on hold for now :(

Boba

Marksman
    Jan 23, 2013
    Just curious...
    Iron peep sights or optics; encouraged or discouraged??

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Just curious...
    Iron peep sights or optics; encouraged or discouraged??

Scope, Ox optics, or Irons?

Any of the above. Preferably whatever is your real rifle, not your show off one, competition one, etc.

The real one.

techres answered better than I can.

I'm no Appleseed spokesman but I've attended 3 (2 full distance shoots) and patched twice and I can say they will teach you to use whatever you bring. Beyond that they will teach you how to apply the marksmanship principals to whichever you bring.

Personally I think you get more out of the event when you have something to dial up or down. Learning holdovers applies the same math and logic, and BDC's do some of that work for you but I think you learn and will retain more by physically dialing up and down your elevation and side to side for windage as you determine the dope on your rifle. That can be done with irons or a low power scope.

I also think most people are simply blown away at how well they can see a target at 400yds with iron sights when they apply the marksmanship skills they are taught. A lot of people can't imagine that with a little instruction they can lay in prone, with relaxed muscles and comfortably hold a site picture on a target 400 yds away without watching it wiggle, move and dance around. :twocents:

Top Bottom