• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    10ring & I are thinking about going. I've posted on the Indiana Appleseed facebook page about it a couple times. I'm not sure which one of you Hat wearing instructors monitor that page but you know I have one of YHJ's rifleman books. ;)

I'm hoping to firm up some plans this week.

I can't see all the pics and links above due to web filtering @ the office. Could someone give me a better idea on start/stop times? Course of fire? Round count? I might want to try a bolt action iron sight gun. I'm not sure yet.

That info will give me a better idea what gun(s) & ammo to bring. Thank you!

I will just copy and paste the info page for you.

Time Zone: Central
    Centerfire: Allowed
    Redbrush Rifle Range, Inc.
    Evansville, IN
    Address: 3299 W Eble Rd, Newburgh, IN 47630
    When/Where/Type/Notes:
    March 23rd – Appleseed Intermediate Clinic: Intro to Long Range ***More Info Below***
    April 20-21
    July 20-21
    Sept 21-22
    Nov 9-10
    How to Prepare for an Event
    Rifles must be cased and left in vehicle until after the Safety Briefing. Do Not bring your firearms out until instructed to bring them to the firing line. No loaded firearms on the range unless on the firing line and load command has been given. Eye and ear protection required. No illegal types of legal firearms are allowed. Some ranges are .22 rimfire only. At ranges that allow centerfire no firearms over .30 cal are allowed.
    Range Fee: $5 per person per event. Range members, under 21, women, active military/reserve/guard, and elected officials exempt.
    Camping Available:
    Limited primitive camping is available onsite. Please use contact info below to make advance arrangements.
    Scales Lake Park is 20 minutes away in Boonville, IN, www.scaleslakepark.com (please take note of their firearms policy).
    Hotels:
    Motel Manor, 2155 SR 61, Boonville, IN, www.motelmanor.com, 15 minutes away.
    Several other options available in Evansville, IN.
    Directions:
    From interstate 64 take exit 39 this is Hwy 61 go S on Hwy 61 into Boonville.
    You will come to a stoplight in Boonville you need to turn R or W at this light. You want to stay on Hwy 61 S. Continue W until you come to the light with the Shell gas station on the left hand side of the road, turn L or S on Hwy 61. Continue S on Hwy 61 about 7.3 miles (if you go to the intersection of Hwy 61 and Hwy 66 which is the Alcoa entrance you have gone too far South) until you come to Eble RD turn L or E on Eble Rd about 3/4 mile the range will be on the R or S side of the road.
    GPS: N37° 57.2309', W87° 18.5671'
    State Laws to be aware of:

Indiana State gun laws at the NRA: nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/indiana.aspx
    Indiana State gun laws at GLBS: gunlawsbystate.com/#!/states/indiana-gun-laws

It is the responsibility of attendees to know and comply with all Indiana and Federal Firearms Laws.
    Misc:
    ***March 23rd Appleseed Intermediate Clinic: Intro to Long Range
    This special one-day event is designed to introduce previous Appleseeders to the practical aspects of long range shooting. Prior attendance to at least one Appleseed event is required. Bring your centerfire rifle and 200 rounds, and we will take you and your marksmanship fundamentals out to 500 yards. Prepare to carry ALL of your gear for the entire day, including lunch and water, and dress for the weather. Check-in is at 7:30 am; be ready to start at 8:00 am sharp.***
    For more information contact:
    Name: IN State Coordinator Email Address: IN@appleseedinfo.org
    Name: Private Message to "AuntieBellum" on the Appleseed forum.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    May 2, 2010
    With the amount of ammo you will spend... you are better off purchasing a 22lr (if you don't have one).... At 3-5 cents a shot, it will literally pay for itself by the end of the weekend.

I picked up an extra Appleseed rifle from Walmart about a month ago... Savage Model 64 = $135. Comes with iron sights and a built in rail if you want to use a scope. Extra mag on ebay is about $25. Add a sling and a brick of 22lr and you are in it for about $200 and have an extra rifle that will hold some value and give you a return on your investment if you don't like it.

Where are you getting 22lr for 3-5 cents a shot???

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Where are you getting 22lr for 3-5 cents a shot???
    Typical bulk pack pricing. A little hard to come by recently, but most stores (Walmart, Dunhams, etc) where I've bought ammo haven't raised prices since the panic. I paid $18/500 for CCI Blazers (3.6 cents/round) and last week paid $20 for a 525 pack of Remington (3.8 cents/round). Certainly not match grade stuff, but plenty accurate to shoot Rifleman at 25 yards.

japartridge

Master
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Not going to be able to make it to the March 23 event... between cost of Ammo (Thank you for the generous offer Techres) and various other family commitments I can't make it this month. I will be attempting to make it to one of the others.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    OK fellas, I just bought the last ticket. I guess I'm going to see what I'm made of and if I can shoot with the big boys.

I just received my order of 200 casings and 250 bullets, so next week will be spent hand loading for Saturday. :faint:

Anyone want to carpool down to Evansville?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    OK. I have not done a full distance seed before. But from threads I've read on atterbury, everyone says pack light, you'll be carrying your stuff, etc...
    Is this a similar situation?

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    OK. I have not done a full distance seed before. But from threads I've read on atterbury, everyone says pack light, you'll be carrying your stuff, etc...
    Is this a similar situation?

This is what I have been told and am planning to do. Everything you need including your lunch will be carried with you throughout the day.
    See you all Saturday!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Tried to sight in some Federal XM855 in the 14.5" AR today and it sure doesn't group as well as the PRVI PPU 75gr stuff does in my 20" AR. But... that's what I'm stuck with shooting due to current ammo shortages. This will be interesting for sure.

It was interesting putting an Appleseed AQT out at 100 yards (scaled for 25 yards) just to see how small those little silhouette dudes looked.

Freeborn Man

Marksman
    Jan 17, 2010
    Memphis, IN
    What is the range like? Does it have tall grass like Camp Atterbury? Can a cart be pushed easily enough?

Looking forward to a great day of shooting!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Anyone else staying at Motel Manor? I don't have any camping gear nor can I get my SUV and "truck camp" that day so I guess JVE & I ruff it there. :nailbite:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Just finished reloading, ran out of powder at 159 rounds :wallbash: plus I have 60 commercial rounds. Talk about not being prepared.

I'm showing up anyway. I guess I can always practice dry firing when I run out of ammo. :):

Are the only INGOer's going are RobbyMaQ, Hop and myself? Or is no one else just posting about it?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I will have some excess .223, though I am guessing most will be shooting other calibers?
    I thought Clay was going to go, but haven't heard from him in a while

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    One spot left. Anyone???

Rayne, did you get my reply email a week and a half ago? I fear my emails back to you are getting stuck by the spam filter. :(

Top Bottom