So who was CCing (badly) at the Children's Museum today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    I don't have midguided fairness, and from now on I will be unapologetic for taking advantage of my position.

I'm not sure I would call it an advantage. The armed citizen has the advantage of being responsible for only him/herself and loved ones. There is a greater expectation of a police officer, whether on duty or not. Some people like to carry for the sake of carrying, but I do it as something I see as necessary (like insurance), and more of a burden than any sort of "advantage."

You have nothing to apologize for. Period.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'm not sure I would call it an advantage. The armed citizen has the advantage of being responsible for only him/herself and loved ones. There is a greater expectation of a police officer, whether on duty or not. Some people like to carry for the sake of carrying, but I do it as something I see as necessary (like insurance), and more of a burden than any sort of "advantage."

You have nothing to apologize for. Period.

By advantage I meant the privilege of carrying where non-cops can't.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well poop. Here I thought I was doing the right thing by not carrying. So much for me being unarmed at the Children's Museum ever again. I don't think I have the right to carry where others don't, but I may have the privilege of doing so.

I think the Federal law is the one that limits school carry to officers on official business only.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Yeah, and Frank stated up thread (somewhere) that it was possible, but wasn't someone he recognized. Now, by 'recognized' I can't say if he meant personally or by 'the look'.

It's already been mentioned. Frank stated that yes it is possible, but it wasn't any he knew. And IMO it's pretty unlikely. I'm just guessing but I think it would be pretty rare among officers to have full sleeve tats. Most depts. I think have a policy of no visible tats while in uniform. And covering up full sleeves in the summer would be a pain in the ass.

A cop in Indy, doesn't have to be from Indy. He could be anywhere else in the U.S., as authorized under LEOSA.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Fargo... why say you are a cop?

That is my point. This has nothing to do with being a cop. I think the risk of saying "excuse me sir, I just wanted to give you a friendly warning that the museum is technically a school because it has a preschool. I just thought you would appreciate knowing" is pretty much non-existent.

If you think there is no risk in going up to an armed stranger and telling him he is committing a C Felony while unarmed and with your family, I suppose that is your perogative.

It also ignores the simple reality that there are bad people who carry guns for bad reasons who have no hesitation in engaging in violence if they feel threatened in any way or for little to no reason at all.

I pray you never run into one.

The excuse that you aren't armed or getting paid overtime is a lame excuse.

If you can't distinguish between being armed and being unarmed, I once again pray you never run into a real bad person.

Now if Frank is simply uncomfortable interacting with strangers when he is not acting as a LEO, that is valid. Some people don't feel comfortable talking with strangers when not in a professional capacity. That is understandable.

Nowhere did Frank say that, and in fact he said the opposite.

Joe

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I think the Federal law is the one that limits school carry to officers on official business only.

Yeah, as I read it it may be a violation of GFSZA for an off duty officer to carry in a school unless he/she has a LTCH. I know quite a few LEO's who maintain a LTCH for just that reason.

A cop in Indy, doesn't have to be from Indy. He could be anywhere else in the U.S., as authorized under LEOSA.
    As I read it, LEOSA doesn't cover public schools in most states because schools are gov't property and carry may be prohibited unless that state's code defines out of state cops to be LEO's for state law purposes. Plus there is a potential GFSZA issue in both private and public schools unless you have a LTCH valid in that state. I don't know what the status of the preschool in the CM is in this regard.

There are no test cases that I am aware of in the area; the above is not legal advice and should in no way be relied on as such.

Best,

Joe

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    As I read it, LEOSA doesn't cover public schools in most states because schools are gov't property and carry may be prohibited unless that state's code defines out of state cops to be LEO's for state law purposes. Plus there is a potential GFSZA issue in both private and public schools unless you have a LTCH valid in that state. I don't know what the status of the preschool in the CM is in this regard.

There are no test cases that I am aware of in the area; the above is not legal advice and should in no way be relied on as such.

Schools, yes. Though daycare isn't defined as a school.

Top Bottom