So who was CCing (badly) at the Children's Museum today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    From the way Fargo was describing what this guy could be, someone should have called the cops on him, he could have been a violent person ready to shoot up the next place he took his family too.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Now if Frank is simply uncomfortable interacting with strangers when he is not acting as a LEO, that is valid. Some people don't feel comfortable talking with strangers when not in a professional capacity. That is understandable.

Hiding behind the badge isn't how I roll. Any other baseless ASSumptions you want to throw out?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Frank doesn't have to explain himself to me... the comment that he wasn't armed or getting paid overtime just rubbed me the wrong way. It shouldn't be about LE duties, it should just be about helping people out.

You say I don't have to explain myself but then you make a comment about how I'm scared to talk to someone if I'm not on-duty?

And the comment about being paid OT was a joke. As far as not being armed, are you going to walk up to someone who obviously is and tell them they are committing a felony? Your balls are obviously way bigger than mine.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I also want to thank Frank profusely for not calling the cops on this guy and having him arrested.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just want to stress how this could have bee used as an opportunity to help someone out. When some poor guy gets arrested for carrying there and the media shows up interviewing idiots, we all lose.

I could have had him arrested then come on here bragging about it, but no - I point out that I didn't and I still get the 3rd degree from you. Its not my fault if someone gets arrested, their actions take care of that. Like I said, next time I'll be the ******* and call my buddies to come enforce the law as it was written, discretion be damned.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    As far as not being armed, are you going to walk up to someone who obviously is and tell them they are committing a felony? Your balls are obviously way bigger than mine.

Why would you ever go unarmed, as an off-duty cop? I sure as hell wouldn't. If not for society's sake, then at least for the defense of myself and my loved ones. You can't tell me that you've never seen a mope that you've arrested in a public place while you were off duty, unless maybe you live on the opposite side of town where you work. Even then, bad guys have cars, too.

I won't judge one way or the other on your actions regarding the oblivious CC'er, that's your call and your discretion. But it boggles my mind that a cop wouldn't carry something, even an LCP or a snub .38, off duty.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Why would you ever go unarmed, as an off-duty cop? I sure as hell wouldn't. If not for society's sake, then at least for the defense of myself and my loved ones. You can't tell me that you've never seen a mope that you've arrested in a public place while you were off duty, unless maybe you live on the opposite side of town where you work. Even then, bad guys have cars, too.

I won't judge one way or the other on your actions regarding the oblivious CC'er, that's your call and your discretion. But it boggles my mind that a cop wouldn't carry something, even an LCP or a snub .38, off duty.

Last time I checked the statute for carrying in a school was limited to cops on "official business." But I'm fine with being a hypocrite and carrying where the commonfolk can't and playing the "its ok, I'm a cop" card and not following the law like I expect others to.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Hiding behind the badge isn't how I roll. Any other baseless ASSumptions you want to throw out?

Dude... read what I said again with a positive attitude. It wasn't an insult. I just meant that perhaps you aren't the kind of person to stop a stranger and start up a conversation. I was making the point that some people can interact fine with strangers when it is business, but don't like to when it's not. I was attempting to offer a reason other than you just not caring.

However when you say things like "I wasn't armed" or "do you want to fill out my overtime form" it makes it sound like you aren't interested in helping people unless you are getting paid. I was trying to say that perhaps there is a reason other than that. Maybe I was just wrong.

If you felt threatened to engage in friendly conversation with this man without having a gun, perhaps you should have called the cops, he obviously looked dangerous.

You being a LEO has nothing to do with this thread. It has to do with you witnessing someone putting themselves in legal jeopardy and instead of helping them out you went online to poke fun of them... or did you just want a pat on the back for not putting your jackboot on his throat and arresting him?

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    Last time I checked the statute for carrying in a school was limited to cops on "official business." But I'm fine with being a hypocrite and carrying where the commonfolk can't and playing the "its ok, I'm a cop" card and not following the law like I expect others to.

I'm not clear on the school law, I thought cops could carry just about anywhere, even off duty. You are no hypocrite by carrying where other people can't. You have a responsibility because of your position in society, whether you are on duty or not. The law IS that you can carry where others can't, whether you agree with it or not. I'd be furious if one of my family members were hurt or killed in a place where I wasn't allowed to carry, and a man who has sworn an oath to protect and serve was useless because of some misguided sense of fairness.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    And since you aren't actually reading my posts... I HAVE told someone at the CM that! I wasn't armed either. I was just nice about it and approached the subject in a manner so they knew I was just helping out.

It's not hard. You start by not showing your badge to them. Forget you are a cop for a minute and just give them an FYI. They don't have to know you are LE!

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    the museum owns that, so illegal

Well, guess I won't be going to the Children's Museum anymore unless the law gets changed.

I still think we need to push to allow for the firearm to be legal on school grounds as long as it is locked inside the vehicle, as a start. There is too much potential for people to become felons unintentionally.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Dude... read what I said again with a positive attitude. It wasn't an insult. I just meant that perhaps you aren't the kind of person to stop a stranger and start up a conversation. I was making the point that some people can interact fine with strangers when it is business, but don't like to when it's not. I was attempting to offer a reason other than you just not caring.

However when you say things like "I wasn't armed" or "do you want to fill out my overtime form" it makes it sound like you aren't interested in helping people unless you are getting paid. I was trying to say that perhaps there is a reason other than that. Maybe I was just wrong.

If you felt threatened to engage in friendly conversation with this man without having a gun, perhaps you should have called the cops, he obviously looked dangerous.

You being a LEO has nothing to do with this thread. It has to do with you witnessing someone putting themselves in legal jeopardy and instead of helping them out you went online to poke fun of them... or did you just want a pat on the back for not putting your jackboot on his throat and arresting him?

Reread my original post. I wasn't poking fun, I was pointing out that his CC wasn't effective.

And to clarify since you are stuck on it. I didn't say anything because I was with my family and was enjoying their company, not dwelling on what others were doing and how I could intervene to keep them out of jail.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'm not clear on the school law, I thought cops could carry just about anywhere, even off duty. You are no hypocrite by carrying where other people can't. You have a responsibility because of your position in society, whether you are on duty or not. The law IS that you can carry where others can't, whether you agree with it or not. I'd be furious if one of my family members were hurt or killed in a place where I wasn't allowed to carry, and a man who has sworn an oath to protect and serve was useless because of some misguided sense of fairness.

You fail to undrstand my post. I don't have midguided fairness, and from now on I will be unapologetic for taking advantage of my position.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    For those that feel Frank should have intervened...

What do you do when the guy tells you to mind your own ****ing business and pulls out his weapon? Use the wife and kids as a shield?

If I knew the guy I might offer friendly advise. If it's a stranger (with a weapon) I mind my own business. I'm not risking my family's safety and well-being to keep a stranger out of jail. :twocents:

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    For those of you who think that a LEO has a hard time walking up to someone and telling them their opinion, I think you're thinking of a different profession.

Also, for anyone who thinks its a good idea to argue with a cop...

picture.php

Sorry, you lose.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Wow, I have been gone for a week........ Are we ripping on Frank_N_Stein? LOUSY FUZZ!!!!! FLATFOOT! ATTENTION WHORE! Pack that damn gun! What, are you a peace-nic? (I just wanted to get some before he starts busting heads)

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Wow, I have been gone for a week........ Are we ripping on Frank_N_Stein? LOUSY FUZZ!!!!! FLATFOOT! ATTENTION WHORE! Pack that damn gun! What, are you a peace-nic? (I just wanted to get some before he starts busting heads)
    and what makes it so sad, Frank is one of the good guys.

FTR, I wouldn't approach an armed person carrying illegally unless I knew them. Especially if I was unarmed at the time. :dunno:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    He could have been a cop. Just sayin'.

Yeah, and Frank stated up thread (somewhere) that it was possible, but wasn't someone he recognized. Now, by 'recognized' I can't say if he meant personally or by 'the look'.

Just as a point of information, what's the ratio of IMPD with full sleeve tats vs. IMPD with no tats below the elbow? Best guess from our LEO brothers is good enough an answer for me.

Top Bottom