So who was CCing (badly) at the Children's Museum today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Wasnt me I am a big guy not with full sleeves but with tats and a big full red beard and still wearing my high and tight. If I were there and were carrying you would bave never known even though I carry a full frame XD in .45ACP... Probably wasnt anyone on this forum or he would have known he would get bashed . If it was someone here they wont admit it because they are too mall ninja cool to think you actually saw them being stupid...lol

icecubes_2.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Of course you don't know there is a preschool there until AFTER you park, walk over the street, buy your tickets, and see the preschool sign around the corner. Of course you already committed a (strict liability) felony the moment you turned your car off.

Gotta love the stupid laws.

Unless of course you frequent one of the biggest state based gun forums in the country!:D

(Shameless plug, my employee review is coming up as a MOD so I have to suck up as much as I can.)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Three words. Dis. Cresh. Un. ;)

I couldn't help but be reminded of the single most important three letter word issue this country faces:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBHPvfAt5ow&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

:laugh:

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Maybe it was a LEO?

Possibly, but he wasn't anyone that I recognized.

i am to take it that you are a LEO Frank? if so i gotta say cheers to you for not trying to go all John Mclaine on the guy. nice to see a policeman who lives and let lives.

Yes, I work for IMPD. I know which battles to pick, and that wasn't one of them. I don't get involved in anything off-duty, especially when my family is with me and I'm not carrying a gun.

Made the trip to the children's museum today. It was crazy... Packed. I hate disarming down there, but the law is stupid.

It's got to be an odd position for an officer to know a crime is being committed and not act though. To post about it on the Internet later seems odd too, but I'm ignorant to what an officer's duty/responsibility is. Seems like either saying something to the guy in person and/or not saying anything publicly would be ideal.

I carried at the museum until I read INGO though...

He was in the covered walkway between the building and the parking garage so technically he was out of the building, but not yet off the property. I could have said something to him but if he's not doing anything with it and hes on his way out, why confront him? Especially since I wasn't armed. And as far as it being odd about me posting about it, I think there are INGO members that post things more odd than me not jamming up a gun owner that might not be aware of the law.

Dangit Frank!! You shoulda had him locked up so we could finally get our test case!

I was off-duty and with my family. Maybe next time.

Yes you should have walked up and politely said someting. No one would make a big scene then come on INGO later to bash you.
    Thank you for the warning to ALL to be more aware of where you are at. My question is could someone have checked online beforehand and caught the school issue?

Again, wasn't on duty so I wasn't going to take police action. And he was on his way out with his family. Maybe if I had encountered him inside the building I would have given him some friendly advice. And like I said before I wasn't bashing him, I was just throwing it out there that it was obvious he was carrying, in case he was an INGO member and happened to read my original post.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It's got to be an odd position for an officer to know a crime is being committed and not act though. To post about it on the Internet later seems odd too, but I'm ignorant to what an officer's duty/responsibility is. Seems like either saying something to the guy in person and/or not saying anything publicly would be ideal.

I carried at the museum until I read INGO though...

Legally, the Indiana Code almost never imposes a duty for a LEO to arrest or take other action for a crime. The only three that come to mind right off the top of my head are that there are "shall arrest" provisions in the domestic battery, invasion of privacy and OWI statutes subject to certain conditions being met. There are also obligations to arrest people with active warrants; although I believe that is an obligation enforced through a judicial contempt action rather than a statute.

Dept. policy may require certain actions and there are some very limited circumstances where failure to act can result in civil liability, but most of the time police officers are not bound by criminal statute to take any action. This is ever moreso when off-duty.

Since we live in a society which has over-legislated itself into criminalizing things like walking home from the bar (although that just got fixed), having a beer while being a 20 yr old combat vet, blocking traffic, walking on the railroad tracks, etc; I really am not keen on obligating officers to arrest for every offense they are aware of.

Best,

Joe

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Legally, the Indiana Code almost never imposes a duty for a LEO to arrest or take other action for a crime. The only three that come to mind right off the top of my head are that there are "shall arrest" provisions in the domestic battery, invasion of privacy and OWI statutes subject to certain conditions being met. There are also obligations to arrest people with active warrants; although I believe that is an obligation enforced through a judicial contempt action rather than a statute.

Dept. policy may require certain actions and there are some very limited circumstances where failure to act can result in civil liability, but most of the time police officers are not bound by criminal statute to take any action. This is ever moreso when off-duty.

Since we live in a society which has over-legislated itself into criminalizing things like walking home from the bar (although that just got fixed), having a beer while being a 20 yr old combat vet, blocking traffic, walking on the railroad tracks, etc; I really am not keen on obligating officers to arrest for every offense they are aware of.

Best,

Joe

My department policy says that if I am unarmed I don't have to get involved in situations that I might possibly interject in if I was armed. And like you said, it wasn't one of those "shall arrest" situations.

Top Bottom