So my wife took my 1yr old to the doctor ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glank09

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    We recently had our daughters 1 year checkup. They didn't ask if we owned guns, just told us they should be locked out of reach of children.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Open carry to the pediatrician's office. No questions needed.

I don't believe we have been asked that standardized battery of "risk" questions yet. But, our pediatrician and general practice docs are pretty good folks, and don't seem to buy into all this BS.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Read 1984....answers are in the book.

Sad but true.

I also remember a discussion somewhere in my distant past. The argument was, 1984 or Brave New World.
    Basically, people figured Brave New World would happen. That people would rebel against 1984.
    To me, it looks like a hybrid of the two.

Anyone else read 1984, and Brave New World.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My wife and son went to the doctors office for his 1yr checkup. Here is the conversation when she came home...

Her: The checkup went fine, they gave him 4 shots.

Me: Good, so nothing wrong?

Her: no he's very healthy, a little short for his age but nothing to worry about.

Me: (nodding my head) he's only 1, plenty of time to grow.

Her: they asked me a lot of questions.

Me: what kind of questions?

Her: One of them was "are there guns in your home"

Me: (in a worried tone) What did you say?

Her: (a little nervous) I said yes, they asked them so quickly and logged them in a computer, I didn't have time to think.

Me: (in an angry tone) why would you tell them that? They don't need to know that at a doctors office. It's just a back door attempt of gun control by the government.

Her: what do you mean? Don't they already know you have guns?

Me: yes, all the 3 letter agency's know. But this is a different system, our names are now in a database, and if anyone of us ever is deemed unfit by even the lowest ranked Dr, nurse, tech, psychiatrist, dentist, etc. they can take every gun and round of ammo we own. That means if ten years from now you tell your Dr you are depressed and he writes you a prescription for anti- depressants, a little red flag will pop up in a computer somewhere and some branch of gov could come and disarm this house.

Her: (apologetically) that can't be right, I'm sorry, I didn't think/ know what they were asking that for.

Me: (shaking my head) well, no use crying about it now.

So I've got that going for me....which is nice!
    That didn't stop you from tearing into her.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Open carry to the pediatrician's office. No questions needed.

I don't believe we have been asked that standardized battery of "risk" questions yet. But, our pediatrician and general practice docs are pretty good folks, and don't seem to buy into all this BS.
    I think a lot depends on the nature of practice and what, if any, umbrella organizations might be over it. My sons' pediatrician is a libertarian. She wouldn't care a bit. But the practice she works in has a standardized SOP for general care and well-child visits. We get asked "Do you have guns in the home?" I've started responding with, "What sane person wouldn't?" To the "Are they locked up?" I respond with "They are all secured."

It's silliness to think that the government needs to create an additional database to keep track of firearms owners. They have what they need.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    My kids' names are Colt and Remington, all doctors ask about our guns or ask if I like hunting or some such thing. It's never been a big deal but being in the spotlight for gun rights it is to be expected that people know I have guns.

IMO the more armed people show they are ready and able to defend themselves the LESS likely we will ever have to use them.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    You don't say "none of you business". you say no. No I don't have any guns. That's all you say. Don't drag out the soapbox, don't start a debate. Just say "I have no guns" and stop talking.

Or, just say "yep, bunches. Do you shoot?".

I cannot imagine that getting on one or one thousand more lists for being a gun owner could possibly matter in my situation.

I own guns. The local police know, the state police know, the department of defense knows, what do I care if the health care system knows?

I understand resisting intrusion into privacy as a matter of principle. That is very reasonable. A person has their right to privacy. I am just so out in the open about my gun ownership that I cannot possibly imagine it hurting me to be on another list.

Besides, if the day ever comes that someone starts using lists to kick in doors and round up us gun owners, I will rely more on the strength of my community and the quality of my elected local officials than I will on anonymity.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    asked, answered no

checkup over and he asked me what I thought about such and such brand of firearms as he was looking to get one.

He knows, he knows why I answered no and he put no.

nickatnight

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Shelbyville
    The point is that it is no business of ANYONE but yourself how many, if any, firearms you own. The question may have been asked for statistical purposes, but many doctors view firearms as a "public health issue." My answer to that question is "none ya!"

Top Bottom