So my wife took my 1yr old to the doctor ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The lady just says 'No', and leaves it at that.

Me, I'm a bit more gregarious, and I love to learn things, so I ask a LOT of questions! :)

IF that time comes, with some Doctor or Nurse asking me, "Are there guns in your home?", I just go the other way, 'cause I love people! "Well, quick question first, Doc. What's your savings account number? Ok, do you have a checking account? Number please. Okay, what's your credit card number? Good! What's your Social Security number? Why? Oh... no reason. Who holds your mortgage? What kind of car do you have? License plate number? Oh... no reason. Is that financed? With who? Does your wife have any expensive jewelry or watches? Where does she keep that? Hey Doc, do you have a safe at home? Hey, what's the combination to that? Do you have a home alarm? What's the code for that? What kind of locks do you have on the outer doors? Do you hide an extra key under the mat or in one of those fake looking rocks? Is there ever a time of day when no one is at your house, Doc? When are you going on vacation Doc, and uh... how long will you be gone? Oh... no reason. Now, what was your question again? Guns? Oh, no, sorry. Why do you ask?"

I'm guessing this educated idiot will get the point by then. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My doctor has never asked me about guns, we've never discussed them. He's been my doctor for a long time, he has expressed his great disappointment with Obamacare. Because I know and trust my doctor, I would probably talk to him about guns, but if he ever asked me the question on a questionnaire, which I doubt he ever would, the answer would still be no. If I was going to see a new doctor, the answer would be no. They simply have no business asking the question, they have no right to know. The only reasons they could possibly have for asking are very bad ones.

If its on conservative radio, the goal is to stir up outrage.

Think about it. With access to all the information the government has, if they ever decided to do a confiscation (which they won't), the tool they will use is self reported surveys at non-centralized doctor's offices all across the nation? Yeah.

Here's why doctors ask about guns in the home: As I See It | PennLive.com

A quote from BBI's link:
    The American Academy of Pediatrics advises parents that the best preventive measure against firearm injuries and deaths is to not own a gun. However, if parents do have firearms in the home, there are safety steps they should follow, including never allowing children access to guns, never keeping a loaded gun in the house or the car, and locking up guns and ammunition safely in separate locations.

In the exam room, questions about guns in the home are not political. They are preventive. They are part of routine pediatric care, and keep children safe. That is why I ask.

To me those two paragraphs reek with arrogance. Here's a statement by somebody who more than likely doesn't know the first thing about guns, who thinks he is a position to preach gun safety to gun owners because he is a doctor. That is an excellent reason to answer any gun related question in a medical office "no".

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    lets not forget that they used Sandy Hook as an excuse to try and pass anti 2nd amendment legislation, "For the Children".

Which failed.

Yet full bore house to house warrantless door kicking confiscation, likely with UN troops, seems to be just around the corner in a few folk's minds.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    To me those two paragraphs reek with arrogance. Here's a statement by somebody who more than likely doesn't know the first thing about guns, who thinks he is a position to preach gun safety to gun owners because he is a doctor. That is an excellent reason to answer any gun related question in a medical office "no".

Its not arrogance, its the simple truth. The best way to prevent gun shot wounds to children is to not have guns around them, but if guns are going to be around them, they should be secured.

Folks here don't like to hear it, but I see way more children shot accidentally with guns left unsecured than I see home invasions thwarted with firearms or non-thwarted home invasions where a child is injured or killed. Again, that's the simple truth. Not politics playing with statistics, not some special interest group counting 17 year old gangbangers as kids, just the simple truth as I see it daily coming through the Homicide/Robbery office.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...Here's a statement by somebody who more than likely doesn't know the first thing about guns, who thinks he is a position to preach gun safety to gun owners because he is a doctor...
    I'd bet MOST doctors know LESS about guns than they know about doctoring. Which is, actually, very little. Which is WHY they call what a doctor does "practice". :lmfao:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Its not arrogance, its the simple truth. The best way to prevent gun shot wounds to children is to not have guns around them, but if guns are going to be around them, they should be secured.

Folks here don't like to hear it, but I see way more children shot accidentally with guns left unsecured than I see home invasions thwarted with firearms or non-thwarted home invasions where a child is injured or killed. Again, that's the simple truth. Not politics playing with statistics, not some special interest group counting 17 year old gangbangers as kids, just the simple truth as I see it daily coming through the Homicide/Robbery office.

I don't dispute the truth that bad things happen with guns in the home due to carelessness. I dispute the validity of a doctor being involved and the creation of yet another database involving gun owners. There are many legitimate avenues to train people about guns which we as a society are currently not taking advantage of because of negative attitudes toward guns. Education is the key. A proper place to educate people is in schools. But schools have become yet another indoctrination tool of the government. You can't even have a pop tart that looks as much like a gun as a Rorschach inkblot without getting in trouble, and that's if you're a five year old. It is that exact same line of thinking that is responsible for questions about guns in doctor's offices.

It may be true that many people are in need of surgery. I am an engineer. I think it is a bad thing for you to have a clogged aorta. Therefore I should be the one to operate. That makes about as much sense collecting gun data in a doctor's office in the name of gun safety.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't dispute the truth that bad things happen with guns in the home due to carelessness. I dispute the validity of a doctor being involved and the creation of yet another database involving gun owners. There are many legitimate avenues to train people about guns which we as a society are currently not taking advantage of because of negative attitudes toward guns. Education is the key. A proper place to educate people is in schools. But schools have become yet another indoctrination tool of the government. You can't even have a pop tart that looks as much like a gun as a Rorschach inkblot without getting in trouble, and that's if you're a five year old. It is that exact same line of thinking that is responsible for questions about guns in doctor's offices.

It may be true that many people are in need of surgery. I am an engineer. I think it is a bad thing for you to have a clogged aorta. Therefore I should be the one to operate. That makes about as much sense collecting gun data in a doctor's office in the name of gun safety.

I agree it should also be in schools, boy scout camps, churches, etc. but honestly it doesn't take a gun expert to say "keep guns out of the hands of children." I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't mean if I tell you that smoking is bad for your health that's bad advice or that I need some indepth knowledge of how lung cancer forms and grows, or how to perform surgery or do chemotherapy, to know that I'm increasing my odds of developing lung cancer if I do smoke.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I agree it should also be in schools, boy scout camps, churches, etc. but honestly it doesn't take a gun expert to say "keep guns out of the hands of children." I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't mean if I tell you that smoking is bad for your health that's bad advice or that I need some indepth knowledge of how lung cancer forms and grows, or how to perform surgery or do chemotherapy, to know that I'm increasing my odds of developing lung cancer if I do smoke.

Traning people is fine and good. But how many people are being trained in the doctor's office where they answer a question "yes" as opposed to those whose name just gets stashed inside a huge bureaucratically driven mass information system? Are you trying to convince me that I should trust a brainchild of the Obama administration? You will have to excuse me for being way over the top of the "skeptical" scale. Maybe in another century, they could have claimed they were just acting in the name of safety. But these days? With so many veterans being stripped of their rights for being "stressed", whose rights are safe? And my name is safe in some guys little black book, whose sole reason for asking is driven by Obama policies and thinking? I think I will continue to answer no, at least until my trust is earned once again, but I doubt that will happen in my lifetime.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    My kids' names are Colt and Remington, all doctors ask about our guns or ask if I like hunting or some such thing. It's never been a big deal but being in the spotlight for gun rights it is to be expected that people know I have guns.

IMO the more armed people show they are ready and able to defend themselves the LESS likely we will ever have to use them.
    Mon son's middle name is Remington-James :rockwoot:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I met a girl named Kimber. She was looking for a 1911. Bet you can guess what she bought.
    Her parents are anti-gun. They had no idea there's a gun manufacturer called "Kimber".

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Never been asked by my doctor but he's a big hunter and outdoorsman and we often talk about shooting. I don't know what I'm gonna do when he retires.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    The bottom line here is the only time a doctor is required on the gun issue, is when someone is shot by one. Then his job is one strictly from a medical standpoint. I don't give a rats a$$ about his opinion of guns or the Second Amendment. All that is required is for him to perform his job as a trauma surgeon to the best of his or her ability. They have no more right to complain about guns taking lives, than an assembly line auto worker does about drunk drivers doing much the same.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I met a girl named Kimber. She was looking for a 1911. Bet you can guess what she bought.
    Her parents are anti-gun. They had no idea there's a gun manufacturer called "Kimber".

Easiest Sale ever. This one is monogrammed with your name on it. And some say it's sexy 1911 (Ignore the glock peeps)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The question came up this year during my Medicare physical.
    My Doc showed me the questions on the form, said it was stupid and had no business being in the medical record, and that he wasn't going to ask me those questions.

If we get another Democrat president, the health care industry will be used for more social engineering. You parents of teens will Likely be asked if you child has had a homosexual experience yet and whether you would approve such an experience so they could determine their own particular sexual preference.

ja7lewis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    My kids pediatrician stopped asking me about 2 years ago when I told them it was non of their business and pointed out that they would be more likely to die from medical malpractice than an accidental gunshot wound.

Top Bottom