• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I would think it's best to be up front. I have nothing to hide from LEO's and think it would set a better tone for them knowing that I was providing that information. I would not want them to be surprised.

I think some will change their mind if they are ever disarmed at gunpoint
    If you notice, MOST in the "notify" camp are newbs. Not a bad thing, but I believe they are likely to change their minds if/when they read some of our stories, or worse yet, get disarmed by an over zealous officer.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    ^^^^ This.
    Telling an officer is not going to put their mind at ease. There's a good chance your gun will be taken and the serial number ran to make sure it isn't stolen. Why make the stop take any longer? It is better off left unsaid, especially if they don't ask. If they want to know they will ask. It's really that simple.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Don't ask don't tell about your speed also! If they know how fast you were going they will tell you. If they ask, they are trying to get you to admit you were speeding and you will get a ticket.

Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
    Driver: "No sir, I was focusing on the traffic that I was merging into in order to make sure I did that safely."
    Officer: "I clocked you at 80 mph back there."
    Driver: "Officer, I did see some crazy fool in a 4Runner pass me like I was standing still, if you got an 80 mph reading, it must have been him."

You were respectful, you were focusing on safe operation and not on your speedo, and you offered a viable explanation for the 80 mph reading.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    There is no right answer to this question. To each there own, don't ask don't tell is not a bad policy. Personally I always hand them my LTCH with my license and say that I have a legal weapon on me. In my personal opinon most cops will respect this, and no tickets will be given. I have been stopped 3 times in 2 years for speeding, each time I hand the LTCH and I don't get a ticket. In my personal opinion I would rather talk to a cop when stooped about my legal handgun rather then my illegal act. To each there own.

BACKLASH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    ECI
    i personnaly dont see a problem with either. who cares if you do tell them. more people should. it reminds them that there are more good guys out there that are armed. it also reminds them not to get to relaxed because anyone can have a gun good or bad.

BACKLASH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    ECI
    If he asks and you say you have no problem with it then you just gave consent. He is required to have "Mans ria" Probable Cause or suspect a crime ha been comitted....

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    There is no right answer to this question. To each there own, don't ask don't tell is not a bad policy. Personally I always hand them my LTCH with my license and say that I have a legal weapon on me. In my personal opinon most cops will respect this, and no tickets will be given. I have been stopped 3 times in 2 years for speeding, each time I hand the LTCH and I don't get a ticket. In my personal opinion I would rather talk to a cop when stooped about my legal handgun rather then my illegal act. To each there own.
    Sorry, but your "personal opinion" is wrong.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Every pro-gun LEO I know says the same thing. If they don't ask, don't tell.

The caveat being if you are asked to step out of the car or are going to do something that make the firearm apparent to the officers. Neither of which should happen during a normal traffic stop.

Obviously if you are in a state when the law requires it, that's another thing to have to consider when it comes to informing vs volunteering.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Yeah they technically can, but they're gonna have to arrest me to take mine because I will peacefully refuse. Arrest me so I can sue you please. (Not meaning you personally)

Len from Len's Ammo was on his way back to South Bend from the Machine Gun Shoot at Knob Creek. He was pulled over for speeding by a ISP Trooper in New Albany, IN. He gave the Trooper his DL and LTCH. The Trooper asked if he was carrying and he said yes. The Trooper asked for his weapon and Len asked if he was being arrested. The Trooper said no. Len informed the Officer that the weapon was safer where it was at and that he did not have to hand over the weapon unless he was being arrested.

The trooper kept referring to his LTCH as a permit and Len told him he didn't have a permit he had a LTCH. Len never surrendered the weapon and was not arrested either. He was given a big fat speeding ticket though. Len contacted the Troopers Superior officer and reported the incident.

Len is a Retired Navy Officer as well as a retired South Bend Police Officer.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Do you know how fast you were going? Proper answer: how fast was I going officer?

Don't answer questions.
    It is better to answer questions with questions than to be absolutely silent so long as you are polite/courteous while doing so IMHO from the perspective of moving the stop along.

I'm not sure how an officer would handle the stop if they came up to my window and I gave them my papers but remained absolutely silent... Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing.

Last I checked unless the question you ask is particularly leading - like for example if you asked: "Should I let you know whether I'm armed?" you should be fine.

Any criminal defense attorney will tell you 'do not talk to the police - talking cannot help you.'

All in all it's better to make sure you follow the laws and maintain your vehicle [tail lights, headlights, license plate lights, turn signal bulbs, etc] than to give an officer a reason to stop you. That said - I've met a few officers in my time that will look for a reason to stop you if you match the profile of what they think a criminal looks like. Is it common? I hope not - but I don't think anybody can deny that it does happen.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    It is better to answer questions with questions than to be absolutely silent so long as you are polite/courteous while doing so IMHO from the perspective of moving the stop along.

I'm not sure how an officer would handle the stop if they came up to my window and I gave them my papers but remained absolutely silent... Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing.

Last I checked unless the question you ask is particularly leading - like for example if you asked: "Should I let you know whether I'm armed?" you should be fine.

Any criminal defense attorney will tell you 'do not talk to the police - talking cannot help you.'

All in all it's better to make sure you follow the laws and maintain your vehicle [tail lights, headlights, license plate lights, turn signal bulbs, etc] than to give an officer a reason to stop you. That said - I've met a few officers in my time that will look for a reason to stop you if you match the profile of what they think a criminal looks like. Is it common? I hope not - but I don't think anybody can deny that it does happen.

When my wife graduated college she went with two friends to Italy, and Germany. Her and her friends were given advise from the family they stayed with to write on a piece of paper that she was deaf and couldn't read lips. She would show this to people trying to panhandle.
    Maybe that would work for LEO. Do you think we should run it by one of the local INGO LEO for approval first. :lmfao:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    When my wife graduated college she went with two friends to Italy, and Germany. Her and her friends were given advise from the family they stayed with to write on a piece of paper that she was deaf and couldn't read lips. She would show this to people trying to panhandle.
    Maybe that would work for LEO. Do you think we should run it by one of the local INGO LEO for approval first. :lmfao:
    Hahahahahahahahahahahha.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    i will admit i have not read any "stories" about bad encounter with LEO's in regards to carrying firearms legally. however, being that a traffic stop can be the most dangerous part of the job, i would hand over my LTCH along with other information. if asked (which im sure they will, in their position iw oudl as well) i would answer truthfully.

i think people getting overzealous about "dont ever tell them this/that" are ridiculous. perhaps it has just been my experience, but i have not had a LEO be a dick to me. i have always been courteous and polite, as have they. if i was carrying, and the officer asked me if he coudl inspect the firearm and secure it for the duration of the stop, i would surely inquire as to the reason, but refusing to do so wouldn't be something i even think about. put yourself in the officers shoes - so you want to leave soon? he probably does too. do you want to go home safely? so does he.

while some of these things may be interpreted as "an infringement upon your rights" - if i am not REQUIRED to do something, that does not mean i am opposed to it. if it makes the traffic stop calmer, easier, etc. i will comply, so long as the requests are not extreme in my own opinion.

again - this is the thought of someone who has never carried (LTCH just recently applied for) and never had a negative experience with law enforcement (even though i have received a few tickets)

Top Bottom