• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Just read the how one can disarm you plan goes and yeah, I would like to throw in the counter argument on how it can be stopped, most notably hindered with holsters that have level 3 retentions. Most cases with Safriland's ALS holsters actually showed that people are unawared that it has a lock on it unlike the button that the Serpa holsters have.

Anyway, basic amounts of training can help with defeating someone trying to get your gun. No one can take a gun from you without you being aware unless you are unconscious. Writing down how easy it is, is just theory talk until we actually see it in action. Also before people start posting vids, there's a difference between 2 people training which means you are expecting someone to grab your gun, and the real thing.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    So is the Left arm free or pinned against the body in the OPs grab?!

Once again, we were just practicing, but I had my son do it both ways. When he pinned my left arm, it actually made it easier for me to put him in an arm-bar or to go into a guillotine choke. When my left arm was free, the arm-bar seemed the easier option.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I think this s a great post as a reminder. Those of you who dismiss this kind of thing because your incredible, infallible SA would never allow you to be in this situation are kidding yourselves. What you SHOULD be doing is thinking and practicing for if/when something like this occurs. And get over the assumptions about CCers being less alert just because YOU are less alert when CCing, unless you can come up with some data.

I have great SA but IChokePeople's avatar sneaks up on me everytime.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    The problem with this hypothetical is that we are going off of one persons description as to how he was unable to defeat a particular disarming technique.

What we need is a video of this person actually performing the technique on him in order to really give an objective non-speculative opinion/analysis.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    So is the Left arm free or pinned against the body in the OPs grab?!

In my takedown, it's pinned. Won't stay there forever, but will stay long enough to be out of play for a takedown. I've never tried to grab a gun, I just use it as a takedown, but seems like it would be pretty easy to get a gun.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Once again, we were just practicing, but I had my son do it both ways. When he pinned my left arm, it actually made it easier for me to put him in an arm-bar or to go into a guillotine choke. When my left arm was free, the arm-bar seemed the easier option.
    That was kinda what my thoughts were as well, kinda...

I am also not opposed to breaking someones thumbs or fingers to allow my release either. Or from grabbing their testes and crushing. Or from numerous others things.

If you fight like you are in a Match, you are going to die sometime....

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

Video. Or at least a detailed description.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    In my takedown, it's pinned. Won't stay there forever, but will stay long enough to be out of play for a takedown. I've never tried to grab a gun, I just use it as a takedown, but seems like it would be pretty easy to get a gun.
    Don't give me the option of dipping my left shoulder, or of getting hold of your sack... :popcorn:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Don't give me the option of dipping my left shoulder, or of getting hold of your sack... :popcorn:

You soldiers are all alike. A couple of drinks, and...

Done correctly, you really can't twist much because I'm controlling your hips. If one of them dips, my forearm is going to bite there and you're going for a ride. E ticket, express pass. Like I said, though, I've never tried for a gun.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You soldiers are all alike. A couple of drinks, and...

Done correctly, you really can't twist much because I'm controlling your hips. If one of them dips, my forearm is going to bite there and you're going for a ride. E ticket, express pass. Like I said, though, I've never tried for a gun.
    I am thinking the best way to defeat this needs to happen when you first feel your Right Arm being Manipulated, I think it gives one the most options to counter with at this point. Waiting until he has possession of your Right Wrist is going to set you up for some tough choices...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I am thinking the best way to defeat this needs to happen when you first feel your Right Arm being Manipulated, I think it gives one the most options to counter with at this point. Waiting until he has possession of your Right Wrist is going to set you up for some tough choices...

100% agree. I know one guy around here who carries his bug in exactly the right position for this, as well, but I still think it would be an edc vs bug shoot out, unless retention slowed the attacker.

It's not an impossible position to avoid, but once you're there, it's a tough one.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    100% agree. I know one guy around here who carries his bug in exactly the right position for this, as well, but I still think it would be an edc vs bug shoot out, unless retention slowed the attacker.

It's not an impossible position to avoid, but once you're there, it's a tough one.
    This is one of the Reasons I carry a couple of Fixed Blades for left hand use...

At this range I would rather have a Knife than a BUG...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    This is one of the Reasons I carry a couple of Fixed Blades for left hand use...

At this range I would rather have a Knife than a BUG...
    I'll play this out with the guys at the gym and see if anyone can get a knife in play before the gun is out and in play.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Video. Or at least a detailed description.

Well, we weren't practicing with a firearm. However, I had my son grab my belt and hold onto it. I was able to turn my hips into him and he had to let go of my belt. When I turned into him, this was when I could go into an arm-bar. Actually, it was more of a shoulder lock. He only had a hold of my right arm with his left hand. He had to use his right hand to grab at my belt. I figured this would be similar to somebody latching onto the butt of my pistol. This is what gives you the room to maneuver. The right had pushes your right arm across your body. The left hand grabs your right arm while the attacker reaches down with the right hand to snatch the firearm. When they go for the grab, they are only holding onto you with one hand.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle

I agree with this 100% Letting them trap your right arm isn't the best scenario.

Top Bottom