Smallest caliber you would use for a defensive handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    ^^^^reminds me of what I heard in some tatical stuff, move and get off the X, hard Cover, and dont be afraid to use multiple rounds.

and on ammo, .38+P's or 9mm MAK. From what I've shot and carried with them, CZ-82s and Makarovs. Those guns are rather small, but have decent sized grips to get my comparatively wide mitts on(at least when modern ccw guns like the Pf-9 are concerned.)

Also, for .38 +P's I would like to add a caveat that I would like a gun with a decent sized grip, at least a 2", and a hammer I can rack to single action. I have alot of trigger time with that style of revolver with that set-up I would actually enjoy shooting it and become more skilled with it. And one the drawstroke, during presentation, you can rack the hammer to wring even more accuracy out of the gun. Because to me, with pistol rounds, its all about shot placement and followup shots

Also, for bad breath distance, good chance you not gonna get to your gun, so I rely on a spring assit knife and judo and wrestling skills

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    My smallest caliber is also my largest caliber I will use for self defense. 9mm all the way.

I know under stress that I'll land more hits with a 9mm than I will with something larger and the stopping power is pretty much the same as larger calibers anyways.

hoostalbrian

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    Allen County
    personal preference - 45acp, simply because I practice the most with it. Perhaps that is a friendly reminder to self, to practice more with other calibers.

~ Brian

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I like the 45acp. Its like throwing a brick. Less likely to over penitrate.

Agreed. My 1911 weighs 49oz loaded. If I throw the gun it hits like a brick and I am not strong enough to push it through another person. Zero penetration

SteviGX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    .40 in a Glock 23 or 22 any time I know I'm going to be out all day. Just a quick run to the store or when I'm just wearing sweats or gym shorts I'll go with a .380.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My CC is a .45 ACP, by back up is a .45 ACP, my back ups backup is a 9mm. OC is a .45 in ACP or Colt depending on which one I choose that day.

Now my spousal unit carries .22LR. She's comfortable with it and practices with it.

So carry what you're comfortable with and will practice with. I've seen it said that most anything you shoot is better than a sharp stick.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Long story longer, don't trust your gun, don't trust your round, don't trust your shooting, trust in your ability not to become fixated and remember to move.

This discussion is kinda like fantasy football but for gun owners.- George

True story. A Youtube search for videos of police shootings will reveal that big animals (people) move when they get shot. You'd prolly oughta be movin' as well with whatever caliber you decided to roll out the house with.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I enjoy reading how people know what they will do during a violent confrontation. This is most often in response to a fantasy of how "it" will happen. Hope it works out the way they plan.- George

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    I kind of wish this thread had been a poll; a graph would have been interesting. Ideal circumstances, I would say the minimum for me would be .380. However, I can envision some hypothetical scenarios where maybe that wouldn't be possible for some reason (laws, availability, ammo crisis, etc.). So I think it is kind of hard to answer because circumstances dictate a lot and most of us would probably rather carry anything over nothing.

I'm kind of a big proponent of carrying and knowing how to wield/defend against a knife too, regardless of what firearm you may also be carrying.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My Plan B is the .380 and I will on occasion carry it only to the grocery, auto parts store, etc.
    I firmly believe in shot placement and I practice constantly with it because of it's very marginal stopping power.
    I carry a full size 1911 in .45acp 99.9% of the time I walk out the door and the .380 is tagging along.

Top Bottom