Smallest caliber you would use for a defensive handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nkantzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Rochester
    There are 2 different guns I think are the minimum to carry. The 380 is a great belly gun or really close range, but the 9 is the lowest I would go. Me personnaly I like my 45 thats the smallest I will carry just because in the Army I liked it and saw what it could do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Smallest gun I carry is a .38 +P. I would not feel terribly bad with wadcutters if it were an older gun that was not rated +P.

I would feel OK with a .380 only if it chambered in a slightly larger gun with greater then a 3 inch barrel. I have no use for the little 10 oz micro guns. In fact I would choose the NAA mini revolver in .22 over a Keltec or LCP.

BACKLASH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    ECI
    I Carry .40 most days but 9 mil BUG so 9mil. I only carry the 40 because its the little M&P Shield. I love that gun!

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    EDC is a j frame air weight 38+p but occasionally I carry a high standard D101 in 22mag. Speer makes a short barrel gold dot 22 mag ammo. I don't know how much better expansion it gives over my CCI's but I'm gonna try em out.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    EDC is a j frame air weight 38+p but occasionally I carry a high standard D101 in 22mag. Speer makes a short barrel gold dot 22 mag ammo. I don't know how much better expansion it gives over my CCI's but I'm gonna try em out.

I'd like to try them out, also. Have you had any luck acquiring them?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    new-jersey-firing_zps7d01f15b.jpg

Fortunately, you don't have to conceal in Indiana.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    9mm, smallest load out is 15+1, tried the smaller calibers and loadouts, I will take a very slight discomfort so that I can have a firearm that feels good in my hand, carries a larger caliber, and has enough bullets that I don't have to stress if I fire several shots at once.

All this equals a G19 in a MTAC, your results will vary.

nobek102

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    I personally carry a 40 but would feel comfortable with a 9 mm but anything that goes boom is gonna be sufficient... Bad guys usually don't stick around to see what caliber u went with...

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I personally carry a 40 but would feel comfortable with a 9 mm but anything that goes boom is gonna be sufficient... Bad guys usually don't stick around to see what caliber u went with...

So, in your scenario, you shoot and miss and the BG runs away ? Or you fire a warning shot ?

Personally, if I draw my weapon against a threat, I'm shooting and hitting, unless the threat subsides. I want something that will go "boom" and mitigate the threat. You said you would feel comfortable with a 9. I would as well. As a minimum.

Only 3 to go...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The smallest I use for SD is .380. There are times when that's as big as can be carried but that's not my norm. For day to day carry, 9mm is the least I'll carry. I prefer .40, 10mm or .45 ACP though. Which is it depends on the day, where I'm going and what I'm doing. The location I am heading to determines what I carry. Sometimes I want the capacity of a full size CZ 75 and others it's the punch and shootability of a Glock 23. I have 1911 days and Glock days.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Flame all you want, but my P32 in the pocket beats your .45 at home in the sock drawer every day of the week.

What if you left the house without your pants? That doesn't just happen in nightmares you know.
    What if I happen to spend most of my time at home in front of my dresser? Now who's the prepared one?

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Why I yawn at discussion about calibers and rounds.

Well, most people talk about the devastation of OO Buck, one cold night in FEB 200 I put four of them into a guy at 7 yards and he did not burst into flames as advertised on the box. He also soaked up some 9 and 40. What stopped the action was one of my pellets blew off his gun hand thumb so he could not hold it anymore. The COD was a pellet striking the descending aorta. Long story longer, don't trust your gun, don't trust your round, don't trust your shooting, trust in your ability not to become fixated and remember to move.

This discussion is kinda like fantasy football but for gun owners.- George

Top Bottom