Smallest caliber you would use for a defensive handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    .380 Bersa Thunder. Other than my GSG 1911-22, it's the only handgun I have. Hmmm... Maybe I could scare someone with the GSG into thinking it was actually a .45, and they would keel over in fright.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Friend has some great property out west and a nice stocked pond. Turtle rolled in and killed off most everything in it.

Simply untrue. Turtles do not decimate populations of game fish. Not Eastern Snapping turtles, not softshells, not even Alligator snapping turtles.
    They are for the most part scavengers.

22lr will do the job in a pinch. Prefer centerfire >.25

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My main guns are .45 acp. I bought a Taurus PT22 mainly for killing critters that end up in my live trap but have found that it is a very handy little gun for carrying. It is very accurate to shoot and now that I have found ammo that it loves, I am comfortable with using it when just running errands locally or working on our property. If I am going to South Bend or Merrillville or an area that is known for higher crime rates, etc., I take a .45.

The 22 doesn't have the same impact but a well placed shot of any caliber can be effective. The 22 is also a lot cheaper to shoot so I practice more with that than the other guns.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    For me, EDC is a 9, with a .380 BUG (occasionally used as the primary in a deep concealment situation). I do not feel underserved with my .380. I would feel vulnerable with anything else.
    If a .22 was all I could carry or shoot properly, that is what I would carry.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    .380 would be the smallest that I would carry. If I'm am going to CC for various reasons I will carry the largest that I can carry.

Now if I'm going to open carry at McDonalds in Vincennes the gun of choice is an AR. :lmfao:

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    Probably a .380. I feel more under armed with my Colt Mustang due to the 5 round magazine than the caliber. It is easy to drop in a pocket and at least have something with you. Still have the 9mm in the truck and it does go on the hip when possible. Anything is better than a rock though.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As much as I would love to say my .45s are always with me, sometimes ( many times) they are just too big to carry concealed comfortably. As a general rule, the smallest caliber that I carry is 9mm, but when discretion is at a premium, and even the MK9 is just too big, I so go as small as a .380, or a 38 Special +P. I do own micro options in both .22, and 25, but 99.9% of the time those are relegated to the backup to the backup positions. The .380 is just so small that its crazy to go any smaller to stay concealed.:twocents:

Top Bottom