• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I was wondering the same, but have no background in what chaplains are or are not allowed to do. I do know that it didn't SEEM to be prohibited, as chaplains of various faiths were very open about sharing their beliefs. It's certainly possible that there are restrictions around it, but if so, they were widely ignored in the 80s and 90s.

There has been a lot of controversy in the last 4 or 5 years. The Army (and probably all the services, but I'm not sure) has been trying to squelch the chaplains to keep what they say PC. The Pentagon has SJW's, just like the rest of the country.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm a bit torn on the issue. The older I get the more I tend to value some traditions. I also believe this country was founded by men committed to creating the best nation on earth and we are intended to be accepting of all religions. If someone's faith prohibits them from adhering to the uniform and it won't create a substantial distraction I don't see the point of excluding them from service if they desire to serve. We've got plenty of folks wearing beards and baseball caps in uniform. If this man has a love for this country and wants to serve I say let him do so and respect his (legitimate) religious aspects.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm a bit torn on the issue. The older I get the more I tend to value some traditions. I also believe this country was founded by men committed to creating the best nation on earth and we are intended to be accepting of all religions. If someone's faith prohibits them from adhering to the uniform and it won't create a substantial distraction I don't see the point of excluding them from service if they desire to serve. We've got plenty of folks wearing beards and baseball caps in uniform. If this man has a love for this country and wants to serve I say let him do so and respect his (legitimate) religious aspects.

I'm with you. I've served with a number of people whom I'd rather not have. This dude is probably a lot more serious about serving his nation than some of the others I've seen in uniform.

As far as tradition goes, more of America's wars have been fought by bearded men than not. Then we all lost our flippin' minds and decided to use chlorine and mustard and other miracles of science right at 100 years ago. Not saying that's not still a risk, but if we're not wearing MOPP gear, or even taking it with us on mission, what's the point in shaving?

The real problem arises when some dude from the church of cannabis, and another from the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster want concessions. The military is a gigantic beaurocracy, and as such, is incapable of judiciously threading these needles. The baby and the bath water are usually either both in the tub, or being tossed out together.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Lol, Im calling BS on the guys that say they'd rather wear a turban. It's not like a cover you simply put on. You have to WRAP it, and it's more difficult than it looks.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Lol, Im calling BS on the guys that say they'd rather wear a turban. It's not like a cover you simply put on. You have to WRAP it, and it's more difficult than it looks.

You smell correctly. It's just that some hyperbole was in order to express the widely held distaste for the beret.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have no problem with this AS LONG AS the military allows, defends and SUPPORTS Christian soldiers proudly wearing a Cross in any Muslim country. If not then I have a problem with a severe double standard.

Regards,

Doug

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Brits have allowed Sikhs to wear beard and turban in uniform for quite some time, both for their police and their military.
    I don't think they're having any problem with it. :dunno:

army-sikh-palace_3209592b.jpg

Looks like unit cohesion, good order, and discipline has been maintained.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Oh ****. I think that was the interweb equivalent of a hard look.

Noted. Clearly you're much more experienced than I am. Preach on.

Where do those guys carry their razors that allows them to shave and don and seal a mask in time to stay alive? That's badass, all by itself.

Chezuki, I'm the weakest link.

I take it that preschool let out early today?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have no problem with this AS LONG AS the military allows, defends and SUPPORTS Christian soldiers proudly wearing a Cross in any Muslim country. If not then I have a problem with a severe double standard.

Regards,

Doug

You know better than that.
    Even though most of our military is made up of Christians, wearing a few crosses would offend that one guy........in their own unit.......in our own country, let alone others in Muslim countries.

All it takes is one single complaint to change the rules because - P****** are in charge!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would prefer the turban to the beret. But they would probably make it out of cheap felt, and it would take days to shave one of those things.

The C* cap was the worst. WTF is the point of wearing an envelope on your head? Who came up with that as a hat?

"So, what we're looking for is something that folds flat, is floppy and shapeless, looks ridiculous, offers little to no actual protection from sun/rain/cold...and can you make it look like it was designed for people with a wedge shaped head? Great, thanks, see you Thursday."

At least it could be cocked at a jaunty angle:

post-75-1205097367.jpg

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The C* cap was the worst. WTF is the point of wearing an envelope on your head? Who came up with that as a hat?

"So, what we're looking for is something that folds flat, is floppy and shapeless, looks ridiculous, offers little to no actual protection from sun/rain/cold...and can you make it look like it was designed for people with a wedge shaped head? Great, thanks, see you Thursday."

At least it could be cocked at a jaunty angle:

post-75-1205097367.jpg

What does "C" stand for?

Yeah, it seems as though the military has at least one tradition: ridiculous headwear. We've had the bus driver hats, those stovepipe things from the civil war, the C, erm, garrison cap, the beret... It's like the position of Uniformed Services Haberdasher has attracted some strange talent. Either that or the hatters truly are mad.

Top Bottom