• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Get back with me about that when an Army unit gets hit with a chemical attack.

Yeah. "Shaving bump" profiles were a thing even when I was in. Either you can serve with a beard or you can't. If you can, then anyone should be allowed one. If you can't, then you aren't fit for active duty if you can't shave.

Even as his court case was pending, Singh passed a routine gas mask test with his unit.

He passed the standard the Army has declared for wearing a gas mask. That's the standard they set. If their own standard has no bearing on reality, that's on them, but you can't argue "you passed our test but our test isn't good enough".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You know I might just agree with that, but not how you meant it. ;)

Ah, you know how passionate sailors can get in a discussion on men's beards. If he's a little worked up after picturing Capt. Singh all sweaty from fighting fires, didn't have time to shave or put on a shirt first...needing a rescue because his mask won't seal...and needs a strong and virile seaman to carry him out of the smoke...

Anyway, sailors are passionate about men's grooming issues is the take away. I think we can cut him some slack.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ah, you know how passionate sailors can get in a discussion on men's beards. If he's a little worked up after picturing Capt. Singh all sweaty from fighting fires, didn't have time to shave or put on a shirt first...needing a rescue because his mask won't seal...and needs a strong and virile seaman to carry him out of the smoke, and perform long, deep "CPR"...

Anyway, sailors are passionate about men's grooming issues is the take away. I think we can cut him some slack.

FTFY And you are probably correct.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I see the underlying problem as the Gubmint under BHO &al is willing to make ANY concession to ANY NON TRADITIONAL Value in the mistaken belief that that is the American way. The Sikh are historically fierce and loyal fighters and I have no particular beef with them.

We were a melting pot. Powdery tin from Tarshish (British Isles) mixed with malleable copper from Phoenicia brought in the Bronze Age.

Now we are a stew pot. 2 Kings 4:29,30 3And one went out into the field to gather herbes, and found a wild vine, and gathered thereof wilde gourds his lap full, and came and shred them into the pot of pottage: for they knew them not.So they powred out for the men to eat: and it came to passe as they were eating of the pottage, that they cried out, and said, O thou man of God, there is death in the pot. And they could not eate thereof.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Pentagon to relax rules on personal religious wear ? including beards, turbans - U.S. News

"The new directive will explain that if the articles of faith or physical attributes interfere with the proper function of protective clothing and equipment, the request could be denied. For example, a beard or unshorn hair cannot interfere with gas masks or helmets."

Navy discriminated against Muslim over beard, suit says - SFGate
    "A Muslim civil rights group has sued the government on behalf of a former Navy enlisted man from Northern California who says he was the target of ethnic slurs, was reassigned to a menial job, and was later denied re-enlistment after seeking permission to wear a beard for religious reasons."

But, hey, snicker on about your supposed superior intelligence.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My intelligence isn't what I'm snickering over.

So what of your quotes applies. He passed the standard for helmet and gas mask. I'm actually ok with an enlisted man not being the target of racial slurs, drawing lousy details based on prejudice, etc. Even if he's a greasy sailor.

tattooed-sailor.jpg

Sweet, isn't it? That's how close and chummy sailors should be. Sooo chummy.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My intelligence isn't what I'm snickering over.

So what of your quotes applies. He passed the standard for helmet and gas mask. I'm actually ok with an enlisted man not being the target of racial slurs, drawing lousy details based on prejudice, etc. Even if he's a greasy sailor.

tattooed-sailor.jpg

Sweet, isn't it? That's how close and chummy sailors should be. Sooo chummy.

It was barrel day so..... :rolleyes:

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Hahaha yeah. Beards running amok. I still fail to see why this is such an issue. He passes every requirement.

Last edited:

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    I was stationed in Germany in 1984. I walked into the chow hall A Battery 2/62 ADA, asked about the Jerry Garcia lookin' guy in uniform ( I was 19 and a private and knew beards were wrong). I was told he was a Sikh. He used the OD green cloth from a field bandage to make his turban. After they explained it was part of his religion, I ordered a ham and cheese omelette and sat down and had breakfast. End of story.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was stationed in Germany in 1984. I walked into the chow hall A Battery 2/62 ADA, asked about the Jerry Garcia lookin' guy in uniform ( I was 19 and a private and knew beards were wrong). I was told he was a Sikh. He used the OD green cloth from a field bandage to make his turban. After they explained it was part of his religion, I ordered a ham and cheese omelette and sat down and had breakfast. End of story.

Well, anywhere in the world... Sikh and ye shall find!:p

Top Bottom