• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    There's more to unpack. If one supports keeping the government shut down, following that up with a hope that the federal government "fades away," then "fades aways" because of the continued shutdown of the US government, is a greatly accelerated premise. It would lead to the inevitable collapse of the nation in relatively short order.

Very apocalyptic view.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Hi y’all, I’m not getting paid. Guess why? Government employee who was deemed “essential” so I’m being forced to work for no pay.

Nice to see some of you don’t give a **** about your own. I can agree the government is too big for its britches, but say that to my face next time your house is threatened by tornadoes or flash flooding.

Keep blowing hot air. Just know that people like myself, who worked tirelessly to get where I’m at today, aren’t seeing the fruits of their labor, and some of you are so smug in your views that you think I deserve not to see a dime.

Yeah, ok.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Sorry that you are facing short-term financial problems 7.62. It isn't like those of us in the private sector have never had to face difficult problems in our careers- financial or otherwise. The difference is that we don't expect you to fix our problems.

More than 30 years after Reagan foolishly trusted the Democrats and granted illegal alien amnesty in exchange for a promise to work on a broken immigration system, someone has finally stood up and declared enough! Patience has been far, far, far more than given. Too many crimes, deaths, undercut wages, election damage and political division has been the result of our broken system. A wall/fence is not a complete solution, but it is an important part of one.

I understand that this is not the best time to hear about it if you haven't before, but financial advisors commonly recommend building as large a savings pool as possible to deal with difficult times, ideally six months. Good advice. Living from paycheck to paycheck is bound to result in problems sooner or later. Good luck getting through this period.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sorry that you are facing short-term financial problems 7.62. It isn't like those of us in the private sector have never had to face difficult problems in our careers- financial or otherwise. The difference is that we don't expect you to fix our problems.

More than 30 years after Reagan foolishly trusted the Democrats and granted illegal alien amnesty in exchange for a promise to work on a broken immigration system, someone has finally stood up and declared enough! Patience has been far, far, far more than given. Too many crimes, deaths, undercut wages, election damage and political division has been the result of our broken system. A wall/fence is not a complete solution, but it is an important part of one.

I understand that this is not the best time to hear about it if you haven't before, but financial advisors commonly recommend building as large a savings pool as possible to deal with difficult times, ideally six months. Good advice. Living from paycheck to paycheck is bound to result in problems sooner or later. Good luck getting through this period.

Wait what? Are you serious? ...the private sector seems most prone to taking wild risks, failing, and then expecting the government to fix their problems. Compared to people doing work and not getting paid for it? I think there's no comparison.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I sound like a "Big Government Progressive Democrat," for pointing out that the hopes that the federal government fading away, might not be so well thought out an idea? Perhaps, you simply wanted to get a jab in, as is your custom, rather than think critically about what was said.

Some people don't like government, or big government. I think what he's advocating isn't exactly anarcho-capitalism. People get to say stuff. People don't have to say all the stuff they mean when they stay stuff. And people get to infer whatever they want from stuff said. Sometimes they infer what others expect them to infer.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Wait what? Are you serious? ...the private sector seems most prone to taking wild risks, failing, and then expecting the government to fix their problems. Compared to people doing work and not getting paid for it? I think there's no comparison.

Are you serious? Really? Please ask this board who has asked for and benefited from such help vs how many have had to make it on our own. Many of us have lost jobs or had other problems and have had to work out our own problems, not depend on government for the solution. As for working without getting paid, that is a temporary problem and I'd be far more concerned if he doesn't get paid when the budget is finally passed. Hopefully, he will take my other advice seriously and be better prepared for any future financial disruptions.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sigh. Some people never quite say what they mean. Some people infer the missing information, for which they are taken to task for not accurately understanding what wasn't said

Edit: Relevant to #346. Didn't think would need to quote but got ninja-posted

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, Sir. I have a belief that the federal government is a bloated monster that could use a lot of downsizing.

I can not say anything to you even with a disclaimer that doesn't wiggle your chip.

If you think that shutting down non essential parts of the government is wrong, then it seems to me that you must think that government is just right.

If these areas are non essential then give them to the States, or cut out the bureaucracy. There are a bunch of federal government operations that are not authorized by the Constitution. Many of which could be completely scrapped or at least paired down drastically.

For a list PM Rambone and I am sure he will oblige.

To be fair, this isn't a realistic dichotomy. There are many reasons why one who thinks government is too big might think shutting down non-essential government as a bargaining tool for political issues is wrong. If we're going to shut down non-essential government, let's do it right, and legislate it out of existence. None of this temporary bull****. And then we can quit using shutdowns as a bargaining tool.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are you serious? Really? Please ask this board who has asked for and benefited from such help vs how many have had to make it on our own. Many of us have lost jobs or had other problems and have had to work out our own problems, not depend government for the solution. As for working without getting paid, I proposed a solution. Hopefully, he will take the advice seriously even if it can't help him right now.

Is 7.62 Exodus asking for the kind of help akin to what you are referencing above? Like I said, the private sector has a well recorded history of asking for handouts, not for work done (mind you), but because of their own poor decisions. When people work, they should get paid... period. I don't care if they are living check to check, or can live for years without being paid.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hi y’all, I’m not getting paid. Guess why? Government employee who was deemed “essential” so I’m being forced to work for no pay.

Nice to see some of you don’t give a **** about your own. I can agree the government is too big for its britches, but say that to my face next time your house is threatened by tornadoes or flash flooding.

Keep blowing hot air. Just know that people like myself, who worked tirelessly to get where I’m at today, aren’t seeing the fruits of their labor, and some of you are so smug in your views that you think I deserve not to see a dime.

Yeah, ok.

This is why it's wrong to use government shutdowns as a bargaining tool. Yes, government is too big. But let's address that in the proper way. Let's not make people work for an arbitrary futuresque promise of pay just so we can get what we want politically.

Both sides need to stop this nonsense.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Is 7.62 Exodus asking for the kind of help akin to what you are referencing above? Like I said, the private sector has a well recorded history of asking for handouts, not for work done (mind you), but because of their own poor decisions. When people work, they should get paid... period. I don't care if they are living check to check, or can live for years without being paid.

Personally, I wish the government wouldn't engage in any such form of handouts. That would be the best way to put a stop to it. But that has nothing whatsoever to do with 7.62's problem. Thanks for that strawman. Getting paid for work done is very reasonable and I fully expect that will happen.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Personally, I wish the government wouldn't engage in any such form of handouts. That would be the best way to put a stop to it. But that has nothing whatsoever to do with 7.62's problem. Thanks for that strawman. Getting paid for work done is very reasonable and I fully expect that will happen.

I do not know 7.62 Exodus personally. It seems you do, well at least well enough to speak on what his "problem" entails. All I knew, based on his post, was that he miffed that he had to work and wasn't getting paid.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But when?

If this shutdown will go "for years" as Trump says, well, I don't know anyone with that level of a financial cushion.

Even missing two paychecks would impact my life. I have a cushion, but without knowing how long I need to draw from it, I would be very careful with any discretionary spending and donations.

There's plenty of long term ramifications, too.
    "Hey, come be an Air Traffic Controller!"
    "Is there a chance that I'll be forced to work while my paycheck is being withheld?"
    "Well, yeah, but..."
    "No thanks. I'll go find a stable job."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Seems like you need to complain to Congress, the House has the keys to the money, not Trump.

And the House has been willing to re-open govt. The GOP held Senate are the holdup, because McConnell won't bring up anything for a vote if the president won't sign it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Government shut down my lucrative job in construction in 2009. I was in my early 50's and could still outwork men much younger than I. I could not get a job, so I worked for anyone who was willing to pay me, whatever they would pay me. After several years of scraping by I had rebuilt my personal reputation with several contractors that would have me do intricate special work, but full employment was out of the question, because of the expenses. I did very well, but had to work as a subcontractor, which is much more difficult than working as an employee.

In that time this private sector individual received not one dime from the government.

Thanks to all of the government employees that personally feel that their job is essential even though they are pawns of the democrats in this shutdown.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    And the House has been willing to re-open govt. The GOP held Senate are the holdup, because McConnell won't bring up anything for a vote if the president won't sign it.

Willing or demanding that Trump cave?

Top Bottom