• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Is 7.62 Exodus asking for the kind of help akin to what you are referencing above? Like I said, the private sector has a well recorded history of asking for handouts, not for work done (mind you), but because of their own poor decisions. When people work, they should get paid... period. I don't care if they are living check to check, or can live for years without being paid.

You mean the organizations deemed "too big to fail" as in the auto maker bailouts? (who authorized those?, I can't remember, help me out here).

Also, yes 7.62 situation sucks BUT working in the .gov sector carries a specific risk of shutdown. It's a slim risk overall and not the norm of how .gov operates.
    IMHO I would say that working for .gov is a much more secure position than working for the private sector/being self-employed.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    But when?

If this shutdown will go "for years" as Trump says, well, I don't know anyone with that level of a financial cushion.

Even missing two paychecks would impact my life. I have a cushion, but without knowing how long I need to draw from it, I would be very careful with any discretionary spending and donations.

There's plenty of long term ramifications, too.
    "Hey, come be an Air Traffic Controller!"
    "Is there a chance that I'll be forced to work while my paycheck is being withheld?"
    "Well, yeah, but..."
    "No thanks. I'll go find a stable job."

Perhaps the job of air traffic controller should be moved to the private sector along with numerous others.

If the services are so valuable, necessary, and in demand let the market meet the demand.

If the "shut down" goes on "for years", there may well be former government employees looking to fill those positions that are in demand. I doubt the better ones will wait for years to find employment.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Perhaps the job of air traffic controller should be moved to the private sector along with numerous others.

If the services are so valuable, necessary, and in demand let the market meet the demand.

If the "shut down" goes on "for years", there may well be former government employees looking to fill those positions that are in demand. I doubt the better ones will wait for years to find employment.
    That's almost as ignorant as saying all streets and roads should be privatized. I think your fear/distrust/hatred of the federal government has clouded your judgement.

"Lighthouses and autopsies."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is why it's wrong to use government shutdowns as a bargaining tool. Yes, government is too big. But let's address that in the proper way. Let's not make people work for an arbitrary futuresque promise of pay just so we can get what we want politically.

Both sides need to stop this nonsense.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/918

Rob Portman's bill to do just that, the End Government Shutdowns Act, introduced and tabled in April 2017

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And the House has been willing to re-open govt. The GOP held Senate are the holdup, because McConnell won't bring up anything for a vote if the president won't sign it.

That seems ... prudent

Especially when they likely realize just how much this whole shutdown is Democrat Kabuki

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Is 7.62 Exodus asking for the kind of help akin to what you are referencing above? Like I said, the private sector has a well recorded history of asking for handouts, not for work done (mind you), but because of their own poor decisions. When people work, they should get paid... period. I don't care if they are living check to check, or can live for years without being paid.

I'm the private sector, and there ain't no government handout waiting for me if I fail. What am I missing? And here's an interesting graph that shows who did, and did not, pay the .gov back for the bailouts:

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/list/index

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    That's almost as ignorant as saying all streets and roads should be privatized. I think your fear/distrust/hatred of the federal government has clouded your judgement.

"Lighthouses and autopsies."

Who will build the roads?

[video=youtube;BcGvfoZISR8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcGvfoZISR8[/video]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And the House has been willing to re-open govt. The GOP held Senate are the holdup, because McConnell won't bring up anything for a vote if the president won't sign it.

Golly, that sounds just like Harry Reid when the Republicans brought up bills to "fix" Obamacare. But only Republicans are obstructionists... :rolleyes:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Democrats have a long history of reneging on negotiated agreements dating back to President Reagan and Amnesty. President Trump has no reason to believe they won't renege on any promises they make if funding for the Wall isn't ironclad first.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    The people that work will get paid. The people that didn't work should not be paid. Same as if they went on strike. One doesn't get back pay for being on strike.
    Paycheck to paycheck - learn to make better choices.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But when?

If this shutdown will go "for years" as Trump says, well, I don't know anyone with that level of a financial cushion.

Even missing two paychecks would impact my life. I have a cushion, but without knowing how long I need to draw from it, I would be very careful with any discretionary spending and donations.

There's plenty of long term ramifications, too.
    "Hey, come be an Air Traffic Controller!"
    "Is there a chance that I'll be forced to work while my paycheck is being withheld?"
    "Well, yeah, but..."
    "No thanks. I'll go find a stable job."

This! Even with a cushion, if I were in that situation I'd really tighten the budget because I'd want to stretch the cushion as long as I could.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Hi y’all, I’m not getting paid. Guess why? Government employee who was deemed “essential” so I’m being forced to work for no pay.

Nice to see some of you don’t give a **** about your own. I can agree the government is too big for its britches, but say that to my face next time your house is threatened by tornadoes or flash flooding.

Keep blowing hot air. Just know that people like myself, who worked tirelessly to get where I’m at today, aren’t seeing the fruits of their labor, and some of you are so smug in your views that you think I deserve not to see a dime.

Yeah, ok.

You'll get back pay eventually, and I hear your old job is always hiring :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I'm the private sector, and there ain't no government handout waiting for me if I fail. What am I missing? And here's an interesting graph that shows who did, and did not, pay the .gov back for the bailouts:

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/list/index

Looks like just some Wall Street banks owe enough to build the wall. Trump needs to send out some collection notices.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The people that work will get paid. The people that didn't work should not be paid. Same as if they went on strike. One doesn't get back pay for being on strike.

There's a big difference between going on strike (or other unpaid leave) and being told not to come to work.

Paycheck to paycheck - learn to make better choices.

This time at least it's not me making the condemnations about other people. :cool:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I hear the government is doing so well on roadwork that Domino's pizza has started work in South Bend.

Why not allow the government to be funded via gofundme-style crowd funding sites? What is important will be supported.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I feel for people who arent getting a paycheck, but you will eventually if you are working. You will get backpay for your work.
    This notion that we need to open up the government just to keep people employed is rediculous. Sorry your job is being used by Democrats as political leverage. However non government employed Americans all over this country are always subjected to layoffs or contract disputes which lead to strikes and those people will not get backpay because the work stops and sometimes their jobs are eliminated. The govt employees who arent working wont get backpay however but they should qualify for things like unemployment. If not, maybe find another job if you wish.
    Government must do what's right for the nation. If you work for the government you serve at the pleasure of the people and if those government services are no longer needed or shut down then its sucks for you I understand, but that's the job you signed up for.
    I think the president will declare an emergency maybe today and get this thing built without Congress who is the most ineffective and powerless body right now in the history of this country. If that's the case then you will be back to work soon.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    What is it now..... 18 days?

I care so little I have just about lost count.

I suppose if the "shut down" goes on long enough, I may start to care. I may begin to become optimistic that it will be shut down permanently.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom