• ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    my facebook profile is me with my fiance, shooting my Kimber 45. Im thinking people know even before that, but it does save time weeding out others.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I kind of use it is a reason to NOT let anyone bring kids to our house. If it works well for anti-gun family, even better. :)

Eh, I tried that on my liberal sister-in-law last year. Didn't work. She brought the brats anyway, will probably visit again this year.

But this year, I plan to display a couple of EVIL looking "assault" rifles locked on Ridgeback Racks during her visit. I'm thinking that maybe she'll fear that the locked weapons will somehow spontaneously discharge, or that her kids will look upon the evil blackness, and suddenly want to join a street gang. Surely this will make another relative a more attractive destination during the holidays.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Family can say anything thing they want, so can you. Like "thanks very much,Mom" How are you?" Just change the subject. My oldest sister is anti-gun , but I just smile , and say cars kill people too.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Don't sweat it. We're your family now!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:ingo:

Luckily I don't have these problems... If I did, it would be in one ear and out the other. Actually, I would post more pics on facebook... Maybe a range trip or something of that manner that shows that guns aren't scary.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    There's a reason Facebook labeled the people you connect with friends not family.

Faux-pas, probably not, as I've got many friends that post pictures of trips to the range or targets, or when they're at the range. Read my page and you'll find a selection of new bits that may lead one to draw conclusions, but I never come right out and say so, or put my photos of gun related activities on Facebook.

Nobody in my family knows I carry, or quite fully understands my aversion to visiting or traveling in certain states. I was disallowed supersoakers and GI Joes as a kid, on the basis of a newspaper article clipped to our refrigerator about how kids raised with guns on TV, toys or what few video games there were, only lead to a life of violence as adults. Girlfriend's family knows I carry, they are pro gun ownership for hunting or nuisance critter removal, or as part of a collection; but have an understanding about carrying that seems derived mostly from movies, so I get lots of ignorant comments made my way and they seem more willing to take risks because I'm around and I have a gun therefore they'll be protected if they P.O. somebody.

When it's time concealed is concealed, and with people that actually know me, I've found the less they know the better. And more back to the point of guns being toys, those that aren't familiar with them tend not to grasp that at the range, or a competition, they can be a toy, but in a holster on the street they are an instrument of violent defense, and a mind shift comes with that environment change; but even as a toy respect for the power of the object is never lost.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Most people have very strong feelings about guns (positive or negative). I play this like Bill Clinton 'don't ask, don't tell.

People who know me, know that I have firearms. I do not make it a habit of broadcasting my position on the internet or publicly to strangers.

Most Anti gun folks lump all the logical gun owner's into the "extremist" column or are just plain 'afraid and un-educated' about shooting sports, hunting, and PP.

Guns don't kill people, people do.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Remember charm bracelets? Do girls still do those anymore? Maybe your mother had a charm bracelet when she was yougner. I suggest get her a charm bracelet with a selection of your favorites, a little 1911, a revolver, an AR, a couple of shotguns, an M14 or M1 Garand, some tanks and canons, cuffs, knives, batons, numchucks. Then duck...

Once the fireworks are over, then tell her it was just a gag gift and give her something really nice like some roses, chocolates, or whatever her favorite thing might be. That should permanently diffuse the situation. Or maybe not. :D

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    He never stated that he didn't. He merely made a statement of his Mother's tendencies.

Secondly, he may be HER child, but he is not THE child. If he were A child, he wouldn't have a firearm, would he?

Hey, people posting on here can be a SHE, which is the case this time. :rockwoot:

I am also a mom of two young boys who will be shooting as soon as they are old enough, but we'll cross THAT bridge when we get to it!

Also, the gun thing is new for me since like two months ago, but we had talked about it before she saw the picture. She doesn't usually visit my Facebook page anyway because of our differing political views.

I did tell her though that it isn't the only gun we have (it was a Ruger Mark III acquired courtesy of INGO) and it won't be the last I buy. Won't it be funny when my husband gets me that rifle I want for Christmas, to open it up at the family celebration?

So, since I am new to gun ownership, with 0 previous experience, there are also many people I know well who do not know we have guns. I wouldn't normally bring it up unless they ask, or visit my Facebook page, or happen to notice our NRA decal...

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I'm pretty sure I lost a contract a couple of years ago because I was open about my interest in firearms and shooting sports, so I generally stopped letting folks that I work with know about it. I have to eat and so does my family. Has to suck when it's your own family. Unfortunate that people are like that.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Hey, people posting on here can be a SHE, which is the case this time. :rockwoot:
    No offense intended to be conveyed.

I am also a mom of two young boys who will be shooting as soon as they are old enough, but we'll cross THAT bridge when we get to it!

Also, the gun thing is new for me since like two months ago, but we had talked about it before she saw the picture. She doesn't usually visit my Facebook page anyway because of our differing political views.

I did tell her though that it isn't the only gun we have (it was a Ruger Mark III acquired courtesy of INGO) and it won't be the last I buy. Won't it be funny when my husband gets me that rifle I want for Christmas, to open it up at the family celebration?

So, since I am new to gun ownership, with 0 previous experience, there are also many people I know well who do not know we have guns. I wouldn't normally bring it up unless they ask, or visit my Facebook page, or happen to notice our NRA decal...

Congratulations and keep plugging away. We were all that newb at one time in our lives.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    FWIW...

On my side of the family, what few there are left, enjoy shooting, hunting, and/or simply want to be able to defend ourselves. My wife's side? I'm pretty sure they all know I there are guns in the house, but like others: if they don't ask, I dont tell.

When my mom was alive, she hated guns. But then again, she didn't like anything her kids could get hurt with (eg motorcycles, fireworks, etc.). But she never tried the guilt trip sort of thing on us. Just the motherly: 'just be careful' sort of thing.

tsalazar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    NWI
    She is your mom so respect her, but also remember you will have your toys for as long as you want but probably not your mom.

Dave

I agree with Dave...My mom hates the fact that I CC a firearm. But whenever I go into her house I leave it locked in the car. And whenever she comes to my house I have it locked away as well. :alright:

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    My mom knows that I carry, she made smarmy little comments, but I explained to her that if I carried a firearm to defend her American freedoms, then I have the right to carry one to defend myself and my wife. We were in a stalemate until 8ish years ago, at which point a man tried to break into her house while she was in bed (dad is deceased). She was terrified, called police, then called me. Luckily a LEO was at the fire station drinking coffee, and was less than 2 blocks away.
    She later told me that she wished she had been able to "scare him off with a gun" and I told her that until she could grasp that she may have had to take the intruder's life, best to not own a gun.... BUT she gives me no more :poop: about carrying, and even envies my wife for learning to shoot and carrying. Respectfully point out to your mom that MANY violent crimes are stopped by armed citizens and that you hope that if she were ever in danger that someone was nearby with a firearm.
    Moral is- the folks that disapprove now may change their opinion when they are in a situation of powerlessness.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My mom knows that I carry, she made smarmy little comments, but I explained to her that if I carried a firearm to defend her American freedoms, then I have the right to carry one to defend myself and my wife. We were in a stalemate until 8ish years ago, at which point a man tried to break into her house while she was in bed (dad is deceased). She was terrified, called police, then called me. Luckily a LEO was at the fire station drinking coffee, and was less than 2 blocks away.
    She later told me that she wished she had been able to "scare him off with a gun" and I told her that until she could grasp that she may have had to take the intruder's life, best to not own a gun.... BUT she gives me no more :poop: about carrying, and even envies my wife for learning to shoot and carrying. Respectfully point out to your mom that MANY violent crimes are stopped by armed citizens and that you hope that if she were ever in danger that someone was nearby with a firearm.
    Moral is- the folks that disapprove now may change their opinion when they are in a situation of powerlessness.

Your Mother is lucky in the fact she survived. It is always a mind changer when a citizen realizes they are not really safe in their own home. Sad but true.

Top Bottom