SHTF food, if you could only pick 1 canned item.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Hardtack like what they ate during the civil war keeps FOREVER as long as its dry. its as hard as a brick, but you can boil it and soften it up so it wont break your teeth. but it has salt in it too and maybe sugar i dont remember, but you can add sugar too it. so it would be a GREAT addition to a protein based meal. you guys should seriously look into hardtack as a great SHTF food source. you can make A LOT of it in a short time and store it almost indeffinately. its cheap to make, whole wheat flour, water, salt, oven, and sugar if you want. thousands of civil war soldiers survived on only hardtack.

also dont forget to include a fat source in your disaster food kits. even if you ate rabit for dinner every night you would eventually die because it doesnt supply your boddy enough fat. you need FAT too, not just protein. also make sure you have a supply of vitamin C

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Hardtack and peanut butter sounds like a winning combo.

I would also like to try one of those "energy bars" issued to soldiers during WWII. They were made by Hershey and had a lot of other stuff added to them I believe. Can't remember what they were called though?

Some buffalo jerky would be nice also washed down with some pine needle tea to get the vitamins.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Some buffalo jerky would be nice also washed down with some pine needle tea to get the vitamins.

Good call on pine needle tea. When some French explorers (might have been LaSalle's men around these parts - I can't remember) were dying from scurvy, etc., they were saved by an Indian showing them to make pine needle tea.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Peanut butter is also really good for cold weather because of the fat content. Skinny people especially need fat in their diet in cold weather to survive (that's why cold weather military rations always have nuts or some other source of fat).

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    This might be a little off track however I thought some might be interested in this since we are talking about SHTF food.

FIELD RATIONS: D-RATIONS

I've never seen or tasted one, but am curious about first hand impressions. These might be a good thing to cook up..

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Well, Y'all are talking so much about the Dinty Moore that I had to try it.
    Only, I found TWO of them at the store:

web.jpg

And so we tried them both tonight, side-by-side, to see if there were any differences we could see or taste:

web.jpg

What was visible was a different ratio of carrots-to-potatoes, and the gravy color.
    The canned was on the left, as in the first picture.
    There was NO Taste Difference however.
    Which really was amazing.
    Bland; absolutely lacking any redeeming flavor. My stew-and-meat loving husband doesn't even want to finish the bowl. Neither do I. The DOGS will get the rest.

I'll vote for the Chunky Sirloin Soup, it's just gotta be better than this stuff.

:patriot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Add some salt and some garlic to the dinty moore. If you like hot and spicy, add hot sauce. It really helps.

Oh, and trust me when I say that after 2 weeks of trail mix, pemmican bars, and various "cheap-eats" trail food, dinty moore beef stew tastes like the finest sirloin steak in the WORLD!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    There was NO Taste Difference however.
    Which really was amazing.
    Bland; absolutely lacking any redeeming flavor. My stew-and-meat loving husband doesn't even want to finish the bowl. Neither do I. The DOGS will get the rest.

I'll vote for the Chunky Sirloin Soup, it's just gotta be better than this stuff.

:patriot:

The key to Dinty Moore I have found is to slow cook it, brings the flavor out more, and you do need to add salt-pepper to your taste.

And while I do love Chunky Sirloin, I find that the veggies and potatoes lack way more taste than D.M.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    Roast beef hash...loved to eat it raw many years ago. Not sure about raw clam chowder though (reference to post above mine).

Top Bottom