SHTF food, if you could only pick 1 canned item.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dog food would be better than spam. :)

Well you can go chow down on all the Alpo you want, Spam is a nice diversion every now and then. Plus try and tell all the Hawaiian's that dog food is better than Spam. Good way to get your but kicked by a 350lb Spam eating/loving Hawaiian

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Hardtack like what they ate during the civil war keeps FOREVER as long as its dry. its as hard as a brick, but you can boil it and soften it up so it wont break your teeth. but it has salt in it too and maybe sugar i dont remember, but you can add sugar too it. so it would be a GREAT addition to a protein based meal. you guys should seriously look into hardtack as a great SHTF food source. you can make A LOT of it in a short time and store it almost indeffinately. its cheap to make, whole wheat flour, water, salt, oven, and sugar if you want. thousands of civil war soldiers survived on only hardtack.

also dont forget to include a fat source in your disaster food kits. even if you ate rabit for dinner every night you would eventually die because it doesnt supply your boddy enough fat. you need FAT too, not just protein. also make sure you have a supply of vitamin C

QFT! I made some hardtack one time to go on a campout with a buddy who's a reinactor. We had hardtack, salt pork and coffee with condensed milk in it. I had some hard tack left over. It sat in my backpack and later on a shelf for about five years in a ziplock baggy. It never molded or anything.

One of the tricks my buddy showed me was to put a piece of hardtack in my coffee and by the time the coffee had cooled and I had drank it the hard tack had softened up enough to chew.

Last edited:

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    Campbells Chunky Creamy Chicken and Dumplings is pretty darn tasty for some soup out of a can.

Probably going to have to start canning some of my own venison stew cause campbells would get old quick.

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Beerman, "But I don't like Spam!"

Watch this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODshB09FQ8w]YouTube - Monty Python - Spam[/ame]

:)

Well you can go chow down on all the Alpo you want, Spam is a nice diversion every now and then. Plus try and tell all the Hawaiian's that dog food is better than Spam. Good way to get your but kicked by a 350lb Spam eating/loving Hawaiian

Top Bottom