SHTF food, if you could only pick 1 canned item.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think your dinty moore idea sounds reasonable nutritionally. I however can't stand the stuff. I think I would go with cans of mixed vegetables/succotash. There's several veggies and potatoes along with water all in one can and meat can always be found, even if it started out as a troublesome neighbor;) Oh, I like the Progresso chicken gumbo too.

Meat could be a premium item as time passes, and the Dinty Moore Meatball Stew also has peas in also. Going to try a can of that sometime. But right now I have a supply of homeade chicken and noodles that the wife has made for this weekend that I need to attack!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This is a great question. I have to agree with the beef stew. Actually I like the Chunky Sirloin Burger, which is like beef stew. The meat is ground so it is palitable, water in the can, convienent pull tab top (if you lose the can opener), could be ready to eat (yuck, better warm).

Peanut Butter is good. We always try to keep plenty of PB and crackers. It gets eaten anyway so why not buy the big jar (or two). In an emergency scenario what I worry about is water. The PB would not be good for this rehydration.

Somebody mentioned Tuna fish. The tuna is a pouch is pretty good and fairly light weight. Tuna in a pouch and granola bars would probably make for an inexpensive, portable food option.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    This is a great question. I have to agree with the beef stew. Actually I like the Chunky Sirloin Burger, which is like beef stew. The meat is ground so it is palitable, water in the can, convienent pull tab top (if you lose the can opener), could be ready to eat (yuck, better warm).

Peanut Butter is good. We always try to keep plenty of PB and crackers. It gets eaten anyway so why not buy the big jar (or two). In an emergency scenario what I worry about is water. The PB would not be good for this rehydration.

Somebody mentioned Tuna fish. The tuna is a pouch is pretty good and fairly light weight. Tuna in a pouch and granola bars would probably make for an inexpensive, portable food option.

:yesway:You said it for me, Chunky Sirloin Burger soup if that's the ONE canned good I have.(20cans +15 cans of the other Chunky soups) Peanut butter 10 for$10 at Kroger occasionally. Small jars(18 ozs.) could trade a few jars for other things.(like jelly) Tuna is good for ME because the wife wouldn't eat it if she was starving in a third world prison!:laugh:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    :yesway:You said it for me, Chunky Sirloin Burger soup if that's the ONE canned good I have.(20cans +15 cans of the other Chunky soups) Peanut butter 10 for$10 at Kroger occasionally. Small jars(18 ozs.) could trade a few jars for other things.(like jelly) Tuna is good for ME because the wife wouldn't eat it if she was starving in a third world prison!:laugh:

While I love Chunky Sirloin Burger, I think Dinty Moore has more veg/meat content, but Chunky has more broth to it.

It's a push/push that comes out a draw.
    Remember we're talking about 1 item, and 1 item only, no additional items can be included to gain more nutrition advantage.

So if you pick that jar of PB, your stuck with it, and soon enough you will be stuck so to speak with a deficiency.

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    sense this is a choice of one caned item I would have to say the beef stew it was my first thought when I read the title.
    Although there are plenty of dried food companies that offer foods that will store for up to 15yrs, plan ahead don't know about you, I have to eat.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    If you're talking about what to buy, go for calories. Kroger's version of Spam, called Treat, goes for $.99 a can. Hard to beat that in terms of calories per $. You can supplement this stuff with wild edibles, or stock up on multi-vitamins for your vitamins and minerals.

DodgebyDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    what a bunch of REMF's here the men eat only the best.........

norm-47cd38367df79-Mad+Max+2%3A+The+Road+Warrior+%281981%29.jpeg

RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    I'm a Dinty Moore fan myself along with the chunky Campbell's soups and the famous canned ravioli...I have them all packed in my pantry and emergency dry storage rations. Don't forget the chilli...Hormel makes some good stuff...it'll stick to your ribs

Top Bottom