Should we eliminate the electoral college??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Put the current POTUS in the White House twice, and I don't recall this EC conversation either time. The last time I do recall, is Bush II.

It makes sense that the issue would only be brought up when the popular vote is at odds with the electoral college. You never hear complaints that the guy who got 5 million more votes also won the electoral college.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Talked with a friend at a meeting tonight. He is friends with one of Indiana's 11 electoral electors. The elector has received 40,000+ emails urging him to vote Hillary (very few from IN).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wonder how many folks who are big EC fans right now would still be big fans if faithless electors put Hilary in the white house.

That's fine. I would respond: beware that pendulum you just put into motion...it will swing the other way and then what will you have to say?

(Sorry for the rhyme).

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    The short answer is no we are not a democracy. This is not mob rule. Mob rule allows the people to vote themselves fortune out of the Govt till. Which is our money. Thats why they created the electoral college.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The short answer is no we are not a democracy. This is not mob rule. Mob rule allows the people to vote themselves fortune out of the Govt till. Which is our money. Thats why they created the electoral college.
    Oh. So you're saying we're NOT a welfare state? Good to know.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...(Sorry for the rhyme).

No crime. For what it's worth (maybe a dime), I thought it was sublime ...this time.

Sorry, I'll be quiet now.

Mime-and-movement_grande.jpg

Back to EC discussion.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

I don't believe the EC was created to have any influence over the purse.
    And as Jamil pointed out we're still voting ourselves the treasury (or IOU's anyway)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    We forget just how petrified our Founders were of the evils of a DIRECT DEMOCRACY. They knew what happens when you devolved things into a simple direct democracy.

That is why they set up a federal government that was created by the states. That's why the states set their own rules about EC elector allocation, even though almost all are winner-take-all.

It's also why the Electoral college was established. We don't vote for POTUS, we vote for the people who vote for POTUS.

This theme is repeated over and again.

This is why the Senate was originally expected to be chosen by state legislature, not direct popular vote. Again, voting to choose the voters (state legislature), a variation of the EC theme. Unfortunately, this was undone and the greatest protection against national welfare state mob rule was removed.

One need not look further than California to see just how messed up direct democracy is and why our Founders were right to dilute the influence of the individual voter upon the national government.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    We forget just how petrified our Founders were of the evils of a DIRECT DEMOCRACY. They knew what happens when you devolved things into a simple direct democracy.

That is why they set up a federal government that was created by the states. That's why the states set their own rules about EC elector allocation, even though almost all are winner-take-all.

It's also why the Electoral college was established. We don't vote for POTUS, we vote for the people who vote for POTUS.

This is why the Senate was originally expected to be chosen by state legislature, not direct popular vote. Again, voting to choose the voters (state legislature), a variation of the EC theme. Unfortunately, this was undone and the greatest protection against national welfare state mob rule was removed.

One need not look further than California to see just how messed up direct democracy is and why our Founders were right to dilute the influence of the individual voter upon the national government.

:yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What's all this talk about eliminating the electrical college? If we close it, how will new electricians learn their trade?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't believe the EC was created to have any influence over the purse.
    And as Jamil pointed out we're still voting ourselves the treasury (or IOU's anyway)

He's just saying that faithless electors can work against a future Democrat PEOTUS just as they want it to work against the current Republican PEOTUS.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Except that, the EC and a lot of our constitutional rules for how we vote weren't set into place specifically to dilute the influence of the individual voter. My reading of history is that there were many concerns by the several interested conventioneers, many of which were period specific, and what they ended up with was a compromise that they weren't all necessarily happy with, but could all live with.

I don't want the influence of individual voters diluted. I do, however, want the influence of highly populated states diluted, at least a little.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Except that, the EC and a lot of our constitutional rules for how we vote weren't set into place specifically to dilute the influence of the individual voter. My reading of history is that there were many concerns by the several interested conventioneers, many of which were period specific, and what they ended up with was a compromise that they weren't all necessarily happy with, but could all live with.

I don't want the influence of individual voters diluted. I do, however, want the influence of highly populated states diluted, at least a little.

Please revisit the Federalist papers on the subject of "faction". I would argue that the structure of our system was in fact designed to dilute the influence of an individual voter. That was a key philosophical point of the whole thing.

And If you want the votes of highly populated states diluted, then I would say that that is, in fact, diluting the vote of the individual voters in those states.

Top Bottom