should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm amazed here. So many of you feel that because some rectal-headgear called this or that act a "felony", the person who did whatever it is should lose some of his God-given rights for the rest of his life?! I know a gentleman who had his livestock get out of his property a few times. He always paid for any damage they did and repaired his fence, but they'd get out again. A neighbor decided to file some kind of charges (I heard the story third-hand, but I do know the gentleman involved... please forgive if the details are not exact.) The gentleman I know filed a guilty plea, only to have an old law dredged up and lo and behold, he found himself a convicted felon. After a long period of time, he finally managed to get his record cleared. Note that there was no violent action, no intent to do any harm to anyone, no damages left uncompensated... but according to some here, this man should be barred for life from being able to defend himself or his family or his livestock.

Yeah, that makes sense. Not good sense, but it makes sense. :rolleyes: :n00b:

Bill

his cattle got out!! clearly this man should not have the right to defend himself and family with a firearm. this man is a animal and deserves a lifetime punishment

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Agreed. They have not paid their debt to society by serving their sentence. One part of their debt it a loss of certain rights. Don't do the crime if you can't deal with the punishment.

May God see fit to guide your actions such that you never face the long, long arm of the law and inadvertently find yourself subject to such a "debt."

On the other hand, perhaps it would do you some good.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So a guy that gets convicted of 2 DUI's within 5 years is a convicted Felon and therefore can never own a firearm? Sounds like BS to me. Just an excuse to infringe on the liberty's of US citizens. I'm not condoning drinking and driving but it has absolutely nothing to do with gun ownership.
    And the same guy convicted of felony DUI can still get his drivers license back.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    So a guy that gets convicted of 2 DUI's within 5 years is a convicted Felon and therefore can never own a firearm? Sounds like BS to me. Just an excuse to infringe on the liberty's of US citizens. I'm not condoning drinking and driving but it has absolutely nothing to do with gun ownership.

It has to do with ones tendency to commit crimes and to have no regard for the safety of innocent others. In other words a person who does what they want, the law be damned.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It has to do with ones tendency to commit crimes and to have no regard for the safety of innocent others. In other words a person who does what they want, the law be damned.

but it could also have to do with the mistakes of a 21 yr old kid who is now a 50 year old man

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    If you want to own a gun, don't brake the law.

I do think that many crimes like buying a minor cigarettes or alcohol should not be a felony. Yes, it should be against the law. But, in my opinion, those don't qualify for for felonies only misdemeanors. If your arrested for a felony, you loose gun rights and hunting rights.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you want to own a gun, don't brake the law.

I do think that many crimes like buying a minor cigarettes or alcohol should not be a felony. Yes, it should be against the law. But, in my opinion, those don't qualify for for felonies only misdemeanors. If your arrested for a felony, you loose gun rights and hunting rights.

I appreciate you sharing your viewpoint. It makes it easy to figure out whom to blame later on.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    No, they should not have a firearm,
    My Opinion.

If you believe in god, Then you believe in Heaven and hell. If you believe in hell, then you believe in the devil. Thus if you read the bible, then you know that the devil was an angel in Heaven who could not see good. The devil saw evil and did wrongful things whenever he could. So God created hell and threw the devil into it for eternity. So even God knows an evil person cannot be rehabilitated. So this is why we have a place called hell.
    So my question is?
    Why does our government think that a slap on this wrist with a little jail time is going to cure an evil person when God tried with no success.
    No life in prison. Anything over 5 years is automatic, you get done to you what you did to another. Thus and eye for an eye.
    Is there any way you can quote me the bible verse that God says man cannot be rehabilitated? I am just curious of the version you are reading from.

ranjah6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Laws dictating what can be used or not used by felons isn't the answer in my opinion. If they are still criminals they are still going to commit crime. I feel we need to properly prosecute those that need it.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Is there any way you can quote me the bible verse that God says man cannot be rehabilitated? I am just curious of the version you are reading from.

Not a version of the bible. Just a fact, that God could not rehabilitate the devil. I mentioned nothing of man. But god says man is flawed from the start.

Don't read between the lines.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    No, they should not have a firearm,
    My Opinion.

If you believe in god, Then you believe in Heaven and hell. If you believe in hell, then you believe in the devil. Thus if you read the bible, then you know that the devil was an angel in Heaven who could not see good. The devil saw evil and did wrongful things whenever he could. So God created hell and threw the devil into it for eternity. So even God knows an evil person cannot be rehabilitated. So this is why we have a place called hell.
    So my question is?
    Why does our government think that a slap on this wrist with a little jail time is going to cure an evil person when God tried with no success.
    No life in prison. Anything over 5 years is automatic, you get done to you what you did to another. Thus and eye for an eye.

Wow...what religion are you ascribing to? The devil in this story is not a person but an eternal being....an angel. As an angel with free will, the devil chose evil, but since an angel is an eternal being, any choice is an eternal choice. And you are saying God is not successful? That's more pitiful sounding than a person who is a felon and trying to right his/her wrong.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    It just seems we have different views on this subject.
    From my opinion on this gun issue. If you have never chased a guy through the woods that just shot an killed his wife, or chasing a bank robber down an old railroad track in the middle of nowhere, then your opinion here will differ from my experience when you respond to a man with a gun call.

PS I do believe God is superior in every way, and fully have my faith and trust in him. I will not get into a pissing match on here on this.

Wow...what religion are you ascribing to? The devil in this story is not a person but an eternal being....an angel. As an angel with free will, the devil chose evil, but since an angel is an eternal being, any choice is an eternal choice. And you are saying God is not successful? That's more pitiful sounding than a person who is a felon and trying to right his/her wrong.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think the answer to this question is the same as it is for any gun control question. Why wouldn't you give a former felon the right to own a gun? If he wants to use a gun to commit a crime, he's going to do it regardless of whether it's legal. If he has changed his life and decided to follow the law barring him from gun ownership then he's not the one we need to be worried about anyway.

kspa57

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Avon
    Nice, not what people on here normally preach when talking about guns and needing the cops.:noway: I guess the "police are only minutes away" only applies to privileged citizens.

I agree with whomever said above that there are so many felonies now, there needs to be some reform as to who can and cannot legally own a gun after they serve their time.

That not my problem that they're and I don't vote don't care about politics. There is a reason why people voice their opinions so nothing bad get in or nothing good get left out and the fact it good to conside other options in life not to be stubburn.That my opinion don't like it then congrads have a cookie. I don't need politisian **** preached to me, they got churches for that I don't want to be a part of that religion.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I think after someone has done time for a violent crime, they only have the 1 chance to straighten out.
    After that, they lose it all.
    There should be no repeat offenders.

Top Bottom