should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chefnick7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Monticello Indiana
    Isn't it usually felons who commit crime with guns ? Its not the law abiding citizens doing it. I can see a point that some crimes may not be violent and shouldn't be felony's but to think that murderers, rapist or people convicted of a violent assault have a right to a gun is intolerable. Fight for law abiding citizens to have any weapon they want not the criminals. And the point before mine is valid I don't see gangbangers and drug dealers having a problem getting weapons now! The wrong people have them already.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    It just seems we have different views on this subject.
    From my opinion on this gun issue. If you have never chased a guy through the woods that just shot an killed his wife, or chasing a bank robber down an old railroad track in the middle of nowhere, then your opinion here will differ from my experience when you respond to a man with a gun call.

PS I do believe God is superior in every way, and fully have my faith and trust in him. I will not get into a pissing match on here on this.

I am certainly not looking to get into one, but before you lay claim to fame, make sure you know, or at least understand, what it is you are talking about and not slinging out something that you heard.

And yes this is a gun issue, so keep to it.

PS Just be wise and make sure you understand your God, his Word and keep that faith, because your sentences indicate some falsehoods to Christian philosophy. :)

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I am certainly not looking to get into one, but before you lay claim to fame, make sure you know, or at least understand, what it is you are talking about and not slinging out something that you heard.

And yes this is a gun issue, so keep to it.

PS Just be wise and make sure you understand your God, his Word and keep that faith, because your sentences indicate some falsehoods to Christian philosophy. :)

I do not lay any claims to fame. I do understand my God an he takes care of me always and never has let me down.

I just see a gun as a tool and have seen these tools try to be used against me. So our opinions of who should own one will differ. But I do agree that any law abiding person age 18 and over should have one. Even carry it with him always. Heck they may even help save my butt sometime.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    If you want to own a gun, don't brake the law.

I do think that many crimes like buying a minor cigarettes or alcohol should not be a felony. Yes, it should be against the law. But, in my opinion, those don't qualify for for felonies only misdemeanors. If your arrested for a felony, you loose gun rights and hunting rights.

Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is not a felony.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is not a felony.

IC 35-46-1-8
    Contributing to the delinquency of a minor
    Sec. 8. (a) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who knowingly or intentionally encourages, aids, induces, or causes a person less than eighteen (18) years of age to commit an act of delinquency (as defined by IC 31-37-1 or IC 31-37-2) commits contributing to delinquency, a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) However, the offense described in subsection (a) is a Class C felony:
    (1) if:
    (A) the person committing the offense is at least twenty-one (21) years of age and knowingly or intentionally furnishes:
    (i) an alcoholic beverage to a person less than eighteen (18) years of age in violation of IC 7.1-5-7-8 when the person committing the offense knew or reasonably should have known that the person furnished the alcoholic beverage was less than eighteen (18) years of age; or
    (ii) a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or a drug (as defined in IC 9-13-2-49.1) in violation of Indiana law; and
    (B) the consumption, ingestion, or use of the alcoholic beverage, controlled substance, or drug is the proximate cause of the death of any person; or
    (2) if the person committing the offense knowingly or intentionally encourages, aids, induces, or causes a person less than eighteen (18) years of age to commit an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult under any of the following:

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Felons are felons.

When you commit a felony, you give up your rights... permanently.
    I'll publicly throw myself under the bus here. I HAD a felony on my record for a non-violent offense. I wanted nothing more than to have my rights as a lawful gun owner restored. I wrote letter after letter to the judge asking for a hearing to have my felony taken off my record. After many letters, I finally got a court date. I went before the judge, pleaded my case and told him the truth. I told him that I was a gun hunter and liked carrying a firearm for protection. He gave me a speech about second chances and how they dont come around very often. After we discussed the felony the judge asked the prosecutor if he has any objection. The prosecutor said he believed me and that he thought I deserved a second chance. The judge awarded me my rights back by expunging the felony. I am now a licensed gun owner and would never do anything to have those rights taken away again. Therefore I do believe that if you can turn your life around that you should be given back the right to own and carry firearms.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Is there any way you can quote me the bible verse that God says man cannot be rehabilitated? I am just curious of the version you are reading from.

Never read the story of Noah and the flood, huh? Or Sodom and Gomorrah?

But for the record, I don't get how the biblical references fit into this conversation.

The example above this post is, IMHO, the way it should work. Thanks for posting it.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Thanks for helping me prove this is a felony.

IC 35-46-1-8
    Contributing to the delinquency of a minor
    Sec. 8. (a) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who knowingly or intentionally encourages, aids, induces, or causes a person less than eighteen (18) years of age to commit an act of delinquency (as defined by IC 31-37-1 or IC 31-37-2) commits contributing to delinquency, a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) However, the offense described in subsection (a) is a Class C felony:
    (1) if:
    (A) the person committing the offense is at least twenty-one (21) years of age and knowingly or intentionally furnishes:
    (i) an alcoholic beverage to a person less than eighteen (18) years of age in violation of IC 7.1-5-7-8 when the person committing the offense knew or reasonably should have known that the person furnished the alcoholic beverage was less than eighteen (18) years of age; or
    (ii) a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or a drug (as defined in IC 9-13-2-49.1) in violation of Indiana law; and
    (B) the consumption, ingestion, or use of the alcoholic beverage, controlled substance, or drug is the proximate cause of the death of any person; or
    (2) if the person committing the offense knowingly or intentionally encourages, aids, induces, or causes a person less than eighteen (18) years of age to commit an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult under any of the following:

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    So if you're arrested for a felony you should lose your rights? Arrest and conviction are two different things. An officer can acuse you of anything but that's why you go to court.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm curious as to logic behind thinking that someone who is stupid and irresponsible enough to drive drunk is still thought to be smart and responsible enough to own a gun. It's kind of like giving a sword to a monkey that likes to hit its head on a rock repeatedly.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm curious as to logic behind thinking that someone who is stupid and irresponsible enough to drive drunk is still thought to be smart and responsible enough to own a gun. It's kind of like giving a sword to a monkey that likes to hit its head on a rock repeatedly.

I am curious as to the logic of why Anyone should be deemed Safe to be in Society but yet deprived of their Right to defend themselves and their families... ;)

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am curious as to the logic of why Anyone should be deemed Safe to be in Society but yet deprived of their Right to defend themselves and their families... ;)

I all for gun rights, but when someone has proven to be both a danger to himself and those around him, it's time for society to step in. And it's not depriving them of the ability to defend themselves, but it is removing an option that can get innocent people killed or worse through reckless behavior from someone with a proven track record of exactly that. lawful gun owners pride ourselves on being responsible, law abiding citizens. If you drive drunk you prove you are neither.

I get the point of drinking is to get drunk, but it can be done without putting others at risk.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I all for gun rights, but when someone has proven to be both a danger to himself and those around him, it's time for society to step in. And it's not depriving them of the ability to defend themselves, but it is removing an option that can get innocent people killed or worse through reckless behavior from someone with a proven track record of exactly that. lawful gun owners pride ourselves on being responsible, law abiding citizens.

If they are so damn dangerous why are they not still incarcerated or executed?! :dunno:

The problem is Society has deemed these Peoples as being Safe to Release from confinement to live amongst us. If they are safe to live and work amongst us then why are their Rights being deprived?! :dunno:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If they are so damn dangerous why are they not still incarcerated or executed?! :dunno:

The problem is Society has deemed these Peoples as being Safe to Release from confinement to live amongst us. If they are safe to live and work amongst us then why are their Rights being deprived?! :dunno:

If you hurt or kill someone driving drunk you will be incarcerated. And the reason their rights are being deprived is because other people have the right to defend themselves, same as you. Rights are not to be abused. If you drive drunk, you have proven you are incapable of handling the responsability that comes with the right to own something designed to kill. Now, there are people who just screwed up that one time, and are most likely not a serious danger. I know and worked with one such man. Tough *******, you can't give some a pass and others not. That will never work. If you liked your guns so much you should of thought that before getting behind the wheel of a car drunk. It has been said on this site before, but I say it to;

"Guns and alcohol don't mix."

If you live in a civilized society, it is an unspoken agreement that you know that those around you do not have to put up with every idiotic idea that pops into your head, especially when that bunny-brained idea of yours put others at risk. Likewise, you don't have to put up with the stuipd idea's of others, especially when it puts you at risk. One of the cornerstones of civilization is the ability to respect others safety, just as you want your safety to be respected.

Also, when I say "you", I dont mean you personally, I mean the collective you.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Never mind Bumpshadow you stay fixated on the alcohol and driving aspect. You may want to look and find out just how easily it is for you to become a Felon though...

Last edited:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Never mind Bumpshadow you stay fixated on the alcohol and driving aspect. You may want to look and find out just how easily it is fo ryou to become a Felon though...

I'm only using drunk driving as an example because that what the thread was using. And i am well aware of ways my life can be ruined by the police. Take a look here for a few examples. It's not entirely right, but if your convicted as a felon and feel it wasn't right, there are appeals you can make. And in most cases if you respect the police and don't give them a reason to give you a hard time, they will respect you as well. And if they don't, complaints can be filed, and like I said, appeals can be made.

There will always be people who will slip through the cracks though, we're all just human after all.

I like your conviction though, rep incoming.

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    I think after someone has done time for a violent crime, they only have the 1 chance to straighten out.
    After that, they lose it all.
    There should be no repeat offenders.

I agree 100%! Our constitution does not list any restrictions on ownership. I think violent offenders (if they survive the arrest procedure) should never again see the light of day. A tiny cell or a coffin... makes no difference to me. Any American CITIZEN should be allowed to own whatever firearms they want. It's one of our God given rights. :patriot:

Top Bottom