should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Im sure there are some convicted felons that have learned from their mistakes and want to live a better life. On the other hand, there are twice as many that will continue in their wrong ways. I think it would be hard to allow some to buy guns, and not others.

most recent research has it about 50/50 actually a lot of it depends on the nature of initial crime and where they are housed. But recidivism takes so long to calculate a lot of the reports I see are YEARS behind. One of the reports I saw boasted 2/3 recidivism however if you look at the crimes violent offenders is one of the lowest stats at around 30%. Another had the recidivism rate a lot lower.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    A guy I used to work with 15 years ago got busted with marijauna several times and ended up with a felony conviction for it. He has since had 2 kids, is 42 years old and is a responsible tax paying member of society. I see no reason for someone in that situation of at least being able to own long guns for protection of his family.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    A guy I used to work with 15 years ago got busted with marijauna several times and ended up with a felony conviction for it. He has since had 2 kids, is 42 years old and is a responsible tax paying member of society. I see no reason for someone in that situation of at least being able to own long guns for protection of his family.

I see no reason for him to be in that situation at all but that is an entirely different topic being discussed on another thread.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka

i can agree with that. Not sure about sex offenders, or murderers tho.

Haikufunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    I think that in some circumstances their right to own a firearm ought to be restored. Of course, this would depend on the original offense (violent criminals would be excluded). However, the reinstatement of this right would need to come after an extended time period that sufficiently exhibits reform in their life.

On a practical note, some former felons may find the real need to defend themselves later on in life. Do we want to deny them the ability that we all freely enjoy? Or, do we want to make them risk further criminal prosecution in an effort to defend themselves or their families?

Sure, we need penalties for actions. But we also need a system that seeks to be restore as well.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    So many of my "countrymen" believe in the Bill of Revocable Privileges it makes me sick.

So do you believe that no one's rights may be taken away even if they violate a law? I guess we can't send murderers or child molesters to jail then in your reality?

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010

If he is telling the truth, which is not often the case, most prosecutors will amend a "D" felony conviction to an A misdemeanor after that many years. There is a provision in the statute to sentence "D" felonies as A misdemeanors which can be used to make the prior conviction an A misdemeanor if what he says is true. Unfortunately, most people's explanations of why they have a felony conviction bear little or no relationship to the facts of the conviction.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Another niche in the law that always bugged me...

What about people who are not yet convicted of a crime? If someone files a protective order / restraining order should you lose your rights to carry? These can be filed with little to no hard evidence, and without a court and jury finding someone guilty their rights may be suspended....

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Yes nonviolent felons who have payed their debt to society should have the same rights as the rest of us.:patriot: 2 time losers no !

All these opinions about what the laws should be. Maybe more people from this forum need to run for public office and propose legislation.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Another niche in the law that always bugged me...

What about people who are not yet convicted of a crime? If someone files a protective order / restraining order should you lose your rights to carry? These can be filed with little to no hard evidence, and without a court and jury finding someone guilty their rights may be suspended....

I agree. So many judges issue protective orders because judges are elected and they are afraid that if they do not and someone is injured, their career will be on the line. The judge have to balance their personal interest against the rights of the person who is getting the protective order issued against them. Guess which side the judge takes most often even in cases which lack the requisite evidence.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Felons could always take up bowhunting and trapping.
    Violent felons, murders, rapists, etc. crimes committed with a gun ....no rights restored.
    Non violent....yes.

Top Bottom