should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chefnick7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Monticello Indiana
    The only person taking away someones right to own a gun is the person who commits the crime. I dont feel sorry for felons not being able to own a firearm, they had the right and they pissed it away. You can say its a god given right that everyone should have a gun , well its voters god given right to decide that felons dont get them. If you dont like the laws change em , if you dont like the politicians vote em out out. When you bring god given rights into a conversation about felons and guns your messing with fire. Where were you to defend the god given rights of life and liberty to those who had crimes committed against them.

[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica]Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.-- Winston Churchill[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The only person taking away someones right to own a gun is the person who commits the crime. I dont feel sorry for felons not being able to own a firearm, they had the right and they pissed it away. You can say its a god given right that everyone should have a gun , well its voters god given right to decide that felons dont get them. If you dont like the laws change em , if you dont like the politicians vote em out out. When you bring god given rights into a conversation about felons and guns your messing with fire. Where were you to defend the god given rights of life and liberty to those who had crimes committed against them.

[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica]Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.-- Winston Churchill[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Where was I...
    Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, etc...

More importantly where were you?! :rolleyes:

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    If they are so damn dangerous why are they not still incarcerated or executed?! :dunno:

The problem is Society has deemed these Peoples as being Safe to Release from confinement to live amongst us. If they are safe to live and work amongst us then why are their Rights being deprived?! :dunno:
    Society has NOT deemed these people safe to release. Listen to the Cam & Company deal of the day. Almost nobody serves their full term.

The only person taking away someones right to own a gun is the person who commits the crime. I dont feel sorry for felons not being able to own a firearm, they had the right and they pissed it away.
    :yesway:

That's exactly right, the felons done this to them selves and knew it would be a result of committing the crime. Why would I feel sorry for them choosing to give up the right to keep and bear arms. Nobody took that right from them, they gave it up willfully.

I'll fight for a felons rights just as soon as the rights of the law abiding are restored all across this country.

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I think it would be fair to say that some convicted Felons could/should have their 2A rights restored. I personally believe it should be judged on a case by case basis. I recall back in the mid 90s, Porter County use to charge every theft/shoplifting as a felony. I have seen $10 dollar drive-offs from the local gas station charged as a felony theft. I have also met A LOT of folks over the years that have no business owning a firearm.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    If the felon was not convicted of a violent crime or drug dealing & have paid their debt to society and have truly been rehabilated , I see no problem with reinstating their right to bear arms

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011

I spent time in the military ensuring we keep those rights as well. Where were you? It is a God given right. When it comes to our constitutional rights, I'll throw the first match any day. Likely, a good percentage of those who fought to get that particular document signed would have been classified as "felons". As far as those who had crimes committed against them, it is up to an individual to defend his or her self. Anyone who thinks a police officer is going to always be there to keep them safe is a fool. And I say that as a former law enforcement officer as well. :twocents:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Problem is, SO MANY things are felonies now. It's not just the big, premeditated things that people always think of (murder, rape, etc...)

There was a guy that had an MP5 pistol clone and put a vertical foregrip on it. He listed it for sale and was busted by the ATF for an unregistered AOW. That carries a felony charge. Does every gun owner you know know enough about the THOUSANDS of gun laws, which in most cases carry a felony charge for violation, to avoid breaking every one of them? Should that guy never be able to own guns again? After all, HE was the one that took away his right by committing the "crime". He was the one that put a 3-inch piece of plastic on the front of his pistol without getting a permission slip.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Exactly. Let's not even consider "gun stuff" as the felony in question...

If a man drives a getaway car during a bank robbery... and that's all he does with regard to that robbery... and he's caught, tried, convicted and sentenced, when he gets out, he can no longer own a gun, but he would have no problem keeping his driver's license the whole time he was in prison and buying a car when he got out.

If a girl of, say, 20 years old gets busted for two OWIs in two years, she will be charged with a felony and serve whatever sentence applies to that charge. After she finishes her sentence, including parole, she will be disallowed from keeping a firearm in her home or going to a range to shoot, but if she drives someone else there to practice, she can stop by the liquor store on the way home and buy a couple of cases and a bottle of Jack with no more than a glance at her ID to confirm her age.

If a woman is found taking money for sex three times, she can be sentenced to a year or more in jail. She will thereafter be a convicted felon, unable to lawfully own a gun to defend herself from her former pimp.... but she can buy as many condoms and/or sex toys as she wants.

Should a former felon be able to legally purchase guns?

You be the judge.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Exactly. Let's not even consider "gun stuff" as the felony in question...

If a man drives a getaway car during a bank robbery... and that's all he does with regard to that robbery... and he's caught, tried, convicted and sentenced, when he gets out, he can no longer own a gun, but he would have no problem keeping his driver's license the whole time he was in prison and buying a car when he got out.

If a girl of, say, 20 years old gets busted for two OWIs in two years, she will be charged with a felony and serve whatever sentence applies to that charge. After she finishes her sentence, including parole, she will be disallowed from keeping a firearm in her home or going to a range to shoot, but if she drives someone else there to practice, she can stop by the liquor store on the way home and buy a couple of cases and a bottle of Jack with no more than a glance at her ID to confirm her age.

If a woman is found taking money for sex three times, she can be sentenced to a year or more in jail. She will thereafter be a convicted felon, unable to lawfully own a gun to defend herself from her former pimp.... but she can buy as many condoms and/or sex toys as she wants.

Should a former felon be able to legally purchase guns?

You be the judge.

Blessings,
    Bill

OK, I will be the judge, send me each felony case and I will decide. Sounds like one hell of a plan to me. Grab a few cold ones, a pack of smokes and a few buddies to shoot the **** with, and this country will be in better shape in no time.:patriot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

In the first place, God is normally capitalized, as it's a proper noun. In the second place, your rights are your rights, and not subject to removal for acts you perform, though our country's laws do provide for you being able to have your lawful exercise of those rights precluded by action of a court. It's an important difference. In the third place, it's a God-given right to defend the life that He gave you. Voting, however, is not a right but a privilege of citizenship in this country. Are you supporting the idea that a person whose actions meet some arbitrary, mala prohibita criteria should be precluded from defending his/her life or those of his/her family, solely on the say-so of a bunch of politicians?

Where was I...
    Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, etc...

More importantly where were you?! :rolleyes:

Once again, sir, I thank you for your service. Rep inbound as soon as I have some to give. :patriot:

Blessings,
    Bill

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I believe that the framers of our constitution would be amazed by this topic, they added no clause on the second "except felons" or "violent offenders"? If sentencing made any sense than those who commited true violent crimes murder, rape, armed robbery wouldnt get just five to ten. This would be mute, I believe that once you pay your debt, its over!

Silverlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Anderson
    I agree with a number of previous members quotes, if the prisons were any form of rehabilitation instead of the day cares that they are, any felon, regardless of their crime should be able to own any firearm they wish. If they are still perceived as a dangerous individual, what is the parole board doing letting them out of prison. Granted, as it stands, the parole board does not have a say in the release if the felon serves every day of his/her sentence. But, if we're discussing a change in law, we might as well change that one while we're at it.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Like many others, I think that if they have been released, they should no longer be a threat to society, and they should be treated no differently. If we feel someone is fit to be in public, they should be treated no differently. If we can not trust them enough to allow them to vote, or own firearms, then why are they not still in prison?

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    It's interesting to listen to folks who obviously have never had to deal with our wonderful "justice system". I think you should speak not of what you do not know. :popcorn:

chefnick7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Monticello Indiana
    I certainly agree that certain crimes should not be considered felonies. And yes a court should decide that some criminals can still be responsible citizens after release. But I also take point in the wording that was used. If someone commits the same crime 2, 3 or 4 times over they should realize that they will loose some of their rights because the have proven them self to be a criminal. The idea that voting is a privilege and not a right is absurd. The simple fact that so many people don't exercise their right to vote is why we get stuck with politicians that only represent the minority opinion. Voting is a right and a responsibility of a law abiding citizen. I see some good points in these post but if you want change then vote to change the laws its your right not a privilege.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I certainly agree that certain crimes should not be considered felonies. And yes a court should decide that some criminals can still be responsible citizens after release. But I also take point in the wording that was used. If someone commits the same crime 2, 3 or 4 times over they should realize that they will loose some of their rights because the have proven them self to be a criminal. The idea that voting is a privilege and not a right is absurd. The simple fact that so many people don't exercise their right to vote is why we get stuck with politicians that only represent the minority opinion. Voting is a right and a responsibility of a law abiding citizen. I see some good points in these post but if you want change then vote to change the laws its your right not a privilege.

With all due respect, I believe you're mistaken. Here's why: Rights are those things with which every human is born. We have the right to our lives and to defend those lives. We have the right to liberty. We have the right to own property, though not necessarily the ability to exercise that right.... Meaning we must earn the means to purchase that property or have it gifted to us. Likewise, we have the right to defend our lives, though we must develop the musculature and dexterity necessary to do so.

Not so with the vote. That is a means of choice in government, and governments are instituted among men for the purpose of protecting those natural rights mentioned above, or so our Founders wrote in the Declaration of Independence. That's also where they wrote that "...all men are created equal..." I would, therefore, ask you if you think that the English, the Mexicans, the Russians, and/or the French should be allowed to exercise the "right" to vote and choose our country's leadership? A right is something all men have. Only American citizens have the privilege of voting to choose the leadership of our country.

I do completely agree with you that it is a responsibility and a duty to go and do, but it is not God-given, nor is it a right.

If you see it differently, I would welcome the opportunity to read your reasoning as to why you think so.

Blessings,
    Bill

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    Rights are not privileges. Your rights should never be taken away or revoked. Period. If you are a free citizen, you should always have your rights.

Any crime severe enough to warrant the need to revoke rights should carry a permanent life sentence and that person should never be free again.

:twocents:

Top Bottom