• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    I am looking to get a 12ga for home defense. I have read/heard there are alot of aftermarket stuff out there, ex the remmington 870. Do you suggest buying all te aftermart stuff to meet my needs, or buy one made withthe options I want.

Such as shorter barrel, higher shell capacity, pistol grip (with or without stock, maybe folding?), flash light rail.

What do you guys suggest?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I am in no way a shotgun expert, but if I was buying one I would have a 20" barrel with the extended tube (for higher capacity), a light attached, and most definitely a stock.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    It depends on your funds and level of interest. I would suggest starting with a cheap 870 and buying some of the low end accessories to see what they do and if you like them. You will learn more about your gun as you take it apart and put it together. Once you know what you really like then go high end and buy one that is exactly how you want it with the exact accessories that you like and sell all of the old cheap stuff.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I see these folding stocks, similar to the SPAS shot gun stock. Anyone ever shot one, hows it feel against your shoulder?

The folder I have works just like you would expect it to.
    The only difference is I'm not worried about scratching wood,
    weighs less than wood and folds up out of the way.

Prefer the folding stock over the pistol grip.

Grips put the hurt to my wrists.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I am looking to get a 12ga for home defense. I have read/heard there are alot of aftermarket stuff out there, ex the remmington 870. Do you suggest buying all te aftermart stuff to meet my needs, or buy one made withthe options I want.

Such as shorter barrel, higher shell capacity, pistol grip (with or without stock, maybe folding?), flash light rail.

What do you guys suggest?

Buy a 870 Combo, or Mossberg combo from a local store and then get the shorter 18" barrel extra. you get 3 barrels, chokes and the like for relatively cheap.
    Add toys as you need. :twocents:

CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    topfolder.jpg

Top folder, can anyone vouce good/bad?

CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    SO alot of these accesories say "for remmington 870". I look at remmingtons website and there are a tone of 870's. Does this mean the accessories will fir and work with ANY 870 model, ie 870 Express?

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I prefer the 870, Mossys work too. I own them both. As far as accessories go; stop it. The only accessory you need for an HD shotgun is good ammo, maybe a light pending your situation. REMEMBER pistol grips are for pistols, Leave the stock on it (this has been beaten to death). Possibly the best accessory is to shoot it, train with it. Tacticool shot guns look cool, I have been down that road. Clamp a bunch of crap on it, take it out, crap flies off; fails, leaving you with all you need.... a good shotgun that you can handle and use.

CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    I prefer the 870, Mossys work too. I own them both. As far as accessories go; stop it. The only accessory you need for an HD shotgun is good ammo, maybe a light pending your situation. REMEMBER pistol grips are for pistols, Leave the stock on it (this has been beaten to death). Possibly the best accessory is to shoot it, train with it. Tacticool shot guns look cool, I have been down that road. Clamp a bunch of crap on it, take it out, crap flies off; fails, leaving you with all you need.... a good shotgun that you can handle and use.

Nicely put. KISS thinking, cant complain with that. I think all i would want is short barrel and shot extender.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    If you want a solid semi-auto and not spend an arm and a leg get a Baikal MP-153. They are extremely reliable. Remington imports them as Remington SPR 453s. You can get a 24" one for $290 shipped from Bud's Gun Shop. I love mine and use it to shoot skeet and sporting clays from time to time.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    In my opinion for what its worth.
    Get a 870 HD, Do not buy cheap stuff trust me on this. ATI stuff is subpar in my opinion, You get what you pay for in this area as you do in any other.
    I would stay away from the Combo's as well if your Primary use is going to be HD
    get the 870 in HD and some ammo. Take it to the range and run some rounds through it.
    Then asses your needs, if they require something more then look at quality accessories. Have them installed or install them properly and you will minimize the possibility of them "flying Off"
    The ATI top folder is an Uncomfortable ungainly stock that is a waste of money and painful for most folks to shoot.

There are a myriad of accessories out there and you have to be careful of what you look for. We cater to this part of the Market in particular, and try very hard to keep customers equipped with good solid equipement and to not over do it,
    I have run a myriad of setups and built shotguns to customers specs now for years. Sometimes they have a specific set of requirements or needs that they need covered.
    Asses your needs and make an informed decision armed with all the information.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ^ that. You get what you pay for. I don't mean you have to have the most expensive stuff; but 90% of accessories out there for any firearm are either junk or unnecessary. Buy it shoot it, shoot it some more, maybe clean it a bit, repeat. Like a nice young lady; if you don't like her after a few rounds, don't start buying a bunch of junk to hang off of her. If you're not comfortable with her after a few rounds.... its probably you, or maybe try a new one.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    ^ that. You get what you pay for. I don't mean you have to have the most expensive stuff; but 90% of accessories out there for any firearm are either junk or unnecessary. Buy it shoot it, shoot it some more, maybe clean it a bit, repeat.

It depends on perspective and potential need. 90%... I don't agree with that... unless you're referring to the number of overall accessories actually sold. There is alot of crap sold that is for sure and most people at an early age are fascinated by shiny cool things, it helps drive our economy.
    You buy the junk and after a bit of time you pitch it in a drawer and get the good stuff, shortly after you convince a buddy that the stuff in the drawer is really kool.
    Nothing beats an good ol' Wingmaster unless it gets dark or your in the middle of the City after a major catastrophe etc..
    Why limit your capabilities when you can enhance your ability to defend or protect your self, your family or your community.
    Your right there is alot useless accessories out there to you but not to all people or even the guys that run these guns as profession.
    I build and modify alot of customer guns and the majority of them are Police Officers these guys have to have gear and equipment that works and it would irresponsible of me to sell them "junk"
    These Gentlemen have assessed their needs based on their experiences and perceived needs.
    This is our latest Build. For an Officer who has by his own words been in a bad situation or two and needed a shotgun that fit his specific needs.
    No Crap on this shotgun.
    041.jpg

Top Bottom