• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    It depends on perspective and potential need. 90%... I don't agree with that... unless you're referring to the number of overall accessories actually sold. There is alot of crap sold that is for sure and most people at an early age are fascinated by shiny cool things, it helps drive our economy.
    You buy the junk and after a bit of time you pitch it in a drawer and get the good stuff, shortly after you convince a buddy that the stuff in the drawer is really kool.
    Nothing beats an good ol' Wingmaster unless it gets dark or your in the middle of the City after a major catastrophe etc..
    Why limit your capabilities when you can enhance your ability to defend or protect your self, your family or your community.
    Your right there is alot useless accessories out there to you but not to all people or even the guys that run these guns as profession.
    I build and modify alot of customer guns and the majority of them are Police Officers these guys have to have gear and equipment that works and it would irresponsible of me to sell them "junk"
    These Gentlemen have assessed their needs based on their experiences and perceived needs.
    This is our latest Build. For an Officer who has by his own words been in a bad situation or two and needed a shotgun that fit his specific needs.
    No Crap on this shotgun.
    041.jpg

What make/model and which accessories were added? It seems like what i had in mind...

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Get a dedicated home defense shotgun, no combos no choke tubes. If you need a gun for hunting buy another one. Most accessories you will need is shell carrier, good sights and a light. K.I.S.S. Ammo and range time.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I have one pistol gripped Moss 500 with an 18 1/4" barrel on it that stays in the house and goes with me in the truck when I'm going into a vacant house (I'm in real estate) in the charming parts of South Bend and/or Gary (South Bend is much better but still some knuckleheads). I bought a ton of accessories for it and ended up paring it back down to just a pistol grip on the back and a side saddle. I like the pistol grip for a gun going from house to truck because it shortens up the whole package enough to manipulate it from inside the truck with full range of motion.

I keep a second Moss 500 that was set up for hunting deer but I've taken the scope off and put fiber optic "iron" sights on it and keep the shoulder stock on. This is my preferred choice if I'm in my house and have the room to manipulate it. Again I keep this one very simple and I keep this one slugged as the reality is within a house, a shotgun "pattern" isn't that big area-wise anyway so you may as well focus that energy on an ounce of solid lead with well aimed shots.

The only reason I have Moss's is guys seem to sell these used for dirt cheap. The second one I bought in near mint used condition for $125.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    The K.I.S.S. home defense shotgun outlook for the average home owner makes sense and is doable for most family members.

Here is an article and another opinion on the subject from Guns and Ammo (THE online destination for firearm enthusiasts!), titled "The Home Defense Shotgun".

There seems to be a lot of interest on this topic lately.

Good luck in your choice and approach.

Last edited:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No offense TSG. When I said 90 or 99% (I forget) of accessories are junk; I meant that, but I didn't explain it. In the current market there are hundreds of foregrips for an 870, most are JUNK. Many stocks available, most are JUNK. I know for a fact that you do not sell, stock, or condone any of these junk products. I, however, have purchased a bunch of these junk products in the past. They were properly installed, but junk is junk. I was not in any way putting down the sale and installation of quality accessories. I just wanted to spread the word that most of the manufacturers in the market today crap out nothing but junk on a daily basis. There is a need for a quality adjustable buttstock, light, big safety, or a sling adapter for a shotgun etc.. My point is to not be suckered in to buying the cheap s**t like I did. If you feel you need it, just buy the good stuff. I have yet to visit you store TSG, but I certainly will next time I'm in Indy.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    No offense TSG. When I said 90 or 99% (I forget) of accessories are junk; I meant that, but I didn't explain it. In the current market there are hundreds of foregrips for an 870, most are JUNK. Many stocks available, most are JUNK. I know for a fact that you do not sell, stock, or condone any of these junk products. I, however, have purchased a bunch of these junk products in the past. They were properly installed, but junk is junk. I was not in any way putting down the sale and installation of quality accessories. I just wanted to spread the word that most of the manufacturers in the market today crap out nothing but junk on a daily basis. There is a need for a quality adjustable buttstock, light, big safety, or a sling adapter for a shotgun etc.. My point is to not be suckered in to buying the cheap s**t like I did. If you feel you need it, just buy the good stuff. I have yet to visit you store TSG, but I certainly will next time I'm in Indy.

Thanks we look forward to seeing you.
    I agree I hate to mention names of companies I don't care for but you are right, there are certain product lines we simply will not carry due that fact.

I purchased the same crap years ago as well and had a drawer full of it at tone time.
    :yesway:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    If you get an 870, the aftermarket tube extenders will not work on the express models due to two divots in the tube. Also some features will most likely not be wanted after you try them out.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you get an 870, the aftermarket tube extenders will not work on the express models due to two divots in the tube. Also some features will most likely not be wanted after you try them out.
    But you remove the dimples and drive on. Think 11/16th deep socket wih hammer and/or dremel.

To the OP, you have LOTS of holes in your approach since you are not a shotgunner...........yet. Go in to the shop TSG has in Indy and shoulder some variations. Fit is always first then straight stock or stock with pistol grip. Then 18" or 20" and where extra ammo goes and what light.

As far as folders, they are never as comfortable to shoot as solid stocks but the only folder I really like is the Knoxx, Blackhawk now. Best not to start with a folder.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    On a HD shot gun, the only thing I would add is a light. I have a Mossberg 500. It holds 5+1. If I need more than that to stop a home invasion, they must really want what I have. I load 00 Buck, stay away from bird shot. Also, a 18.5" barrel is good for in the house, you are not shooting skeet. Pistol grip, that is up to you. PG make for a compact package. Lastly, go to a shop and feel the dirrent types. 870 and Mossbergs have saties in different spots. make sure you are comfortabe with it.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    So it is possible to put an extender on an Express, with some "in house" adjustments?

Not a problem at all really. there are a couple of ways to do it, the way Zoub mentioned works well. Punching the dimples out with a drill works as well then cleaning up the inside with w small half round file works as well.

As far as a Barrel the 20" or 18" smooth bores both work fine. Rifle sights or bead its personal preference form there on.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I have to agree with what has already been said. I keep one in my room with a big mag light. Mine has a pistol grip and I thought that was pretty cool. And then I shot it. Now I wish it had a full stock.
    Stay with Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 You can get 20 Inch barrels pretty cheap

Top Bottom