• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I like the Hogue Tammer grip. It makes shooting a shotgun with a pistol grip fun and comfy.
    If your going to go with a Pistol grip this is one of the best options that is for sure. The Knoxx Blackhawk being another good choice.
    Again though for Most people I would caution against using a PG on a fighting shotgun.
    The Knoxx spec Ops folder is another option you could consider. Recoil reduction fold over stock for compactness and usability.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I prefer my HD shotguns to have that 1915's charm. :D

DSCF0087.jpg

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I was in the same boat as you 6 months ago. I purchased an old Police 870 wingmaster from an INGOer and went up to Indy to see Tactical Shottgunner. It was a great move. I could hold and play with all of the stuff that I had been looking at online and wondering about. He showed me how each accessory would go on and pointed out any trickiness that might come about during installation.

After going back home, I had second thoughts about the Blackhawk Recoil Stock. My wife has frizzy hair and I was worried it would catch in the ramp on recoil. TSG exchanged it no questions asked for credit towards a MESA Tactical unit, which is superior in all respects. I highly recommend going there. It was some of the best money I have yet spent on firearms. Everyone who shoots my shotgun raves about it. I even took down my first deer last fall with it. It shoots slugs very well along with everything else.

I ended up using the following:
    Mesa Tactical LEO Telescoping recoil stock kit
    TacticalShotgunner.com
    Houge Foreend Grip
    High Dome Safety
    TacticalShotgunner.com
    Choate Remington 870/1100/1187 Matte 7 Shot extension 12 ga. +2
    TacticalShotgunner.com
    TACSTAR 6 rnd sidesaddle for Remington shotguns
    TacticalShotgunner.com

I would patiently watch the classifieds until you can find an inexpensive base gun to start with. It would be even better if it had an 18.5 or 20" barrel to start with. Then I would march down to TSG and make it what you want. The MESA recoil stock really makes the unit for me. It makes it a hell of alot easier to shoot and greatly reduces the LOP for little people, such as myself. Regardless of your goals, TSG is the place to go. Keep your cash local and get superior results to boot.

-Calvin

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Guess it depends on whether you plan to keep it forever or if your fickle and will want to sell it in 2 years. If you like to trade often...go with the factory gun, it'll hold its value MUCH better..if you will be buried with it then buy a base model (870 would be my suggestion) and customize till you drop! You'll never see a return on a personally customized gun...has to be done out of LOVE, IMHO

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Guess it depends on whether you plan to keep it forever or if your fickle and will want to sell it in 2 years. If you like to trade often...go with the factory gun, it'll hold its value MUCH better..if you will be buried with it then buy a base model (870 would be my suggestion) and customize till you drop! You'll never see a return on a personally customized gun...has to be done out of LOVE, IMHO

Only partially true, Only in rare exceptions is any run o the mill standard production gun going to hold much of its value, it all comes down to percentages, A used 870 to a dealer will go for 150.00 to 225.00 depending on condition or model of course.

If you upgrade with cheap or junk parts they will carry no value whatsoever to pretty much any dealer, sad but true,

If you use top of the line parts and gear you can usually get 50-60% of wholesale of that part from honest dealers, is it great nah but its better than a sharp stick in the eye.
    Another plus is there is usually a gun nut or two within shouting distance that will know exactly what you have in your set up and will happily help you part with it for minimal loss,
    An 870 HD, standard or express will never be collectible, just too many produced. A Wingmaster or Police gun will bring a little more overall but no more percentage wise than a Express.
    What are you purchasing this shotgun for? Defense or as an investment?
    If its an investment piece then your barking up the wrong tree anyway, get a Greener or a Perazzi and put it in a climate controlled safe well oiled inside a gun sock put the box away along with all the original paper work and don't by god ever fondle it without gloves. The auctioneer will be eternally grateful.
    Defensive ...
    Buy it, shoot it, upgrade it to your liking if you feel the need and Don't worry about the end value, let your widow or grandchildren worry about that a bunch of years from now.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Here's mine if this gives you ideas.
    picture.php

My tactical Mossberg 500a with 18.5" breaching barrel, 5+1 capacity, ATI pistol grip stock(aftermarket), 5 shell elastic shell holder, Pachmayr Decelerator slip-on recoil pad, UTG tri-rail flashlight mount, and Surefire G2 flashlight.
    (Shells in shell holder are Remington TAC-8 "00" buck)

Mine is actually the 500a Home defense/ field combo as it came with a 28" bird barrel as well. Purchased at Cabelas. I believe the combo is a Cabelas exclusive seeing as there is no information on it anywhere.
    you could get a plain 500a with shorter barrels tho if you don't want the combo.

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    I'd suggest building it yourself as others have mentioned. You're likely to spend a bit more money but you'll get a custom built gun just like you want. I finished my 870 HD project a few months back. I started with an 870 express new in the box. From there I added or modified the following components:

- 870 police stock and forend (the forend is needed to clear the receiver mounted side saddle)

- Cut the police stock down 1.5" for a shorter length of pull (12.5 in). 1" off is better for taller people but I built it for the wife to run too.

- Remington SuperCell recoil pad (they are unbelievably good) fit to new stock length and angle cut at the top for shirt/arm pit relief

- 18.5" Remington parkerized smooth bore barrel with tritium front pin

- Scattergun Technologies 2 rounds extended mag tube

- Scattergun Technologies Hi Vis follower

- Scattergun Technologies receiver side saddle

- Trigger job with lighter spring

- Mini mag LED light mounted to the end of the barrel

- End cap pressure switch for light mounted to forend for light thumb control (can't remember the manufacturer)

- Barrel to extended mag tube clamp

- Mag tube to light clamp for light mounting

I keep the gun by my bed at all times. The length of pull is a hair short for me at 6'1" but works. I've had good luck with this gun thus far and love it's performance. The only other thing I plan to do is some forcing cone work to clean up the shot pattern.

I had planned to mounting a rear ghost ring with the tritium front pin but I changed my mind when I seen the cost of adding the rifle sight up front on the barrel. Since the gun has been finished I've been able to shoot ~2.5" groups at 50 yards with 1 oz slugs. My friends with ghost rings have been able to do about the same. I think the potential advantage with ghost rings is the speed of target acquisition. We plan to test the difference in a shot gun class in early May.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    i would buiold it yourself would be cheaper and you personally would like it better, starting with amoss, or a 870 depending on your preference and wallet

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    I'm not sure it's right but I took the approach of building my own. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to inspect a Scattergun Technologies gun. After looking at it, it was clear to me that I could do what I needed for a lot less money. I bought an 870 express, put a 18.5" barrel on it with tritium sights, bought police furniture for it, put a side saddle on it, cut the but stock to 12.5" length of pull, did a trigger job on it, and said job done. I also installed an extended mag tube, mini mag light with thumb switch and a receiver side saddle. It works great and I know what's in it so I'm very comfortable. I'd vote build your own and get what you want.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I have the M590A1. It holds 9 rounds, I have a shell holder on it, 20 inch heavy wall barrel, ghost ring sights. I really have 2 shell holders on it. One has slugs 2-3/4 and 3-inch and the other is 00-buck. I have some lighter rounds in the tube for bumps in the night but having the buck and slugs lets me pick the right round for the target or shot I need. No pistol grip and I do need to put a light on it.. It's a tad heavy and does have a bayonet lug so in a pinch its a trusty club or spear if I put a bayonet on it. Just get something cheap if you don't know what to get. 870, 500, 590 or maverick. Something is better than nothing.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    how about a curve? I bought a benelli nova ($350 new). Very smooooth action, 18" barrel, and it can be std or pistol grip stock. Did i mention is comes with ghoast ring sights?

I added a magazine tube extension, recoil reducer and clamp with stream light. Now i have a $450 gun for the house and three gun duties.

Reliable, smooth, great sights, with the 5 round buttstock band it has 13 rounds ready to rock. I think for the money you cant beat it. Handle one, it will surprise you.

Or check mine out sunday up at ACC multi gun match.

Top Bottom