• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm glad to see that it has worked for them, but I hesitate to compare a nice rural midwest city with a population of roughly 30,000 to it's virtually polar opposite NYC.

Regardless of the numbers, both are still populated by humans. The culture may be somewhat different, but the fundamentals are the same: Criminals prey on the weak and defenseless. Minimize the extent to which the non-criminal population is weak and defenseless and you will necessarily introduce an occupational hazard which will at minimum require the criminals to be much more cautious in choosing targets, hence lowering volume of business. Perhaps most significant is the element of moral bankruptcy involved in the willingness to be indifferent to the citizens of New York being habitually deprived of their rights so long as the same malady does not visit us.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    my sister is already all over it. Ban guns. Guns are bad. people with guns are bad. People who like guns are bad. It's just relentless with her.

Jason

This is all a part of the "Sound bite mentality" that so many people have fallen into. No real reasoning, proof, statistics etc, just rhetoric, sound bites and Bravo Sierra.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Some of those hit by bullets may have been accidentally hit by police, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a news conference.
    But he said their injuries were not life-threatening and they were expected to make a full recovery.

I smell a law sute !

There is no such thing as a "full recovery" when a hunk of hot lead pierces your body. Physiologically and/or psychologically you will never be the same... you CAN get better, but .... you have been changed permanently.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Bet you I could make all the hits i needed all day with an NY2 Glock. Dudes used to shoot all day with revolver triggers that were just as heavy. It's a training issue, not a gear issue.

I'm just saying they mandate a trigger pull unlike most l.e. I know of. This is to prevent nd's. I think they could train to keep their finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    News report on TV says that 9 people were victims of those TWO officers fire.

So, gunman kills 1, and then starts to leave. Police confront him, and proceed to injure 9 innocent bystanders. Plus, the police unit that responded was supposedly some sort of "roving anti-terror unit," so I would assume that they received MORE training than a standard NYPD officer?

Yep. Clearly, we can always trust the police to do the right thing. Not attempting to bash LEO's at all, but....well....they did it, they're going to have to take the heat for it. Terrible situation to be in, and I feel sorry for them, but if one of US did that, we'd already be in a cell. Not on "paid administrative leave" as I'm sure these guys are.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Huh, it is starting to look like the gun free zone is a myth, Mr. Mayor. Time to start allowing law abiding citizens to arm themselves.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    But aren't handguns hard to acquire in NYC? I mean, the law should've stopped this!

They are, but one CAN get a permit to carry in NYC. I actually met one of these rare birds in a hospital waiting room a few years back...great guy, in his 70s...NOT a LEO or retired LEO and he actually had one of these hen's teeth.

But you're right...the law should have stopped this...therefore, Bloomberg will quickly craft a "better" law upon which to build the next time this happens.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Anyone read the update? Gunman had seven rounds in his gun. He put five rounds into his victim. Police recovered two live rounds. Nine others injured? Oops.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Anyone read the update? Gunman had seven rounds in his gun. He put five rounds into his victim. Police recovered two live rounds. Nine others injured? Oops.

If this is accurate then I am ashamed of the results. I would love to see video of this incident because it sounds like the cops were just slinging bullets all over the place with no regards to public safety. I am not dogging on cops, they do have tough descions to make, but I do hold you to a higher standard because of your position. You chose to accept the position and the responsibilities that come with it, so expect no sympathy from me when you have to answer to the public for your actions. Just remember if you end up in this type of situation, as long as you kill the bad guy, you are a hero...at least in Bloomberg's eyes. The people injured in the incident have my prayers, most of them will probably never be the same, no matter how much money you give them.

By the way, happy 500th post to me!!!

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Welcome to NYPD weapons training.
    Lesson #1
    When confronted by an armed suspect, draw your weapon quickly and unload the entire magazine into the general direction of the suspect. Pay no attention to innocent bystanders. They will duck out of the way.
    Lesson #2
    Reload and see if you hit suspect. If not, repeat actions described in Lesson #1.

Next week we will learn how to arrest someone for drinking a 24oz Pepsi.

:laugh:

Next week will be a rocken class !

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The guy may not have lived in NYC; he could have lived in any of the NE Corridor States and commuted to his former job. Yet another reason why the local gun ban is stooopid.

BCCS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    The article that I just read said that the bad guy did not fire on the police, only drew his weapon. 2 officers fired 16 rounds and hit the BG with 7 of them...From 8 feet away...that leaves 9 rounds missed, How many bystanders were hit again?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'd say that's 100% accuracy. They hit something! I can hear Bloomberg now, "my officers stopped the threat and prevented nine others from becoming terrorists."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The guy may not have lived in NYC; he could have lived in any of the NE Corridor States and commuted to his former job. Yet another reason why the local gun ban is stooopid.

Oh, come on. The only problem is that we need new laws to make it 'more illegaler' that it already is!

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Regardless of the numbers, both are still populated by humans. The culture may be somewhat different, but the fundamentals are the same: Criminals prey on the weak and defenseless. Minimize the extent to which the non-criminal population is weak and defenseless and you will necessarily introduce an occupational hazard which will at minimum require the criminals to be much more cautious in choosing targets, hence lowering volume of business. Perhaps most significant is the element of moral bankruptcy involved in the willingness to be indifferent to the citizens of New York being habitually deprived of their rights so long as the same malady does not visit us.

On the bold i mostly agree, but not entirely. I'd use the term humans only loosely to describe some of the characters in NYC.

I see your point, but I still don't think the city in Georgia can be compared to the big apple. We'll agree to disagree in part.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    On the bold i mostly agree, but not entirely. I'd use the term humans only loosely to describe some of the characters in NYC.

I see your point, but I still don't think the city in Georgia can be compared to the big apple. We'll agree to disagree in part.

Why do you think the direct threat of being shot dead by the intended victim would be less effective in NYC than it would be in Georgia? In my reckoning, if I am killed I will be equally dead regardless of the city or state in which I may be located at the time. I will agree with your appraisal that some NYC denizens require the most liberal of attitude to call humans, but still, most still have a serious aversion to sudden death.

Top Bottom