• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    1: People should take notes here! This is how you effectivley communicate your view point to someone elses view point. At no time reading the last few remarks did I feel anyone got mad, upset, tried to cause problems, just stating personal opinions in a clear manner!

When I can, I'll be repping all 3 :)

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    So if I understand, the issue that you have with the OP is essentially that a LEO posted it? If a non-LEO, such as myself, had posted it there would be no "issue?"

Also if you read all of his posts you will see that he says "armed civlians" and not just LEO.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I didn't mean any disrespect to any group at all. I don't commonly use the terms "sheep and shepherd" but I thought it sounded fitting since so many others use that terminology. My post was not to reinforce any particular caste separation, but rather to point out something that I noticed and wanted to share. I'll be sure to choose my words more carefully next time.

A sheep (in this context) can become a sheepdog or even a wolf. In most cases being a sheep is unconscious, it is how one is raised and is encouraged in this society. Once one is made aware of those qualities it is entirely possible to become a sheepdog by conscious decision, but there will always be those who simply wish to live their lives with a sheep state of mind. This wouldn't be a problem if they would then simply get out of the way when trouble happens. But they often don't, they often stampede and cause more trouble than the original problem.

I hate to wring this metaphor much more, but I for one have no problem with using the distinction in general and I really don't care if the sheep find it offensive: if that's the worst thing that happens to them then life is good.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Also if you read all of his posts you will see that he says "armed civlians" and not just LEO.

True, but I was mostly commenting on posts 30, 34, and 36 which (to me)seemed to imply that the perceived attitude of LEO's towards civilians was the issue. I was heading towards the idea that the situation is what the situation is and would not be changed by whether or not the OP was a LEO. As it turns out, he's not. Personally, I feel that being considered a "sheepdog" by others would be a high compliment. You can call me "Loretta" as long as I'm able to effectively protect my family and myself.

No, I don't have a womb. ;)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So now this thread has become a debate on the proper (or improper?) use of the term "Sheep", "sheeple", "sheepdog" and "Shepherd". That's fine by me, but I don't really have an opinion either way. None of those terms do I find offensive or oppressive...YMMV. :ingo:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Apparently what you missed is the part where he said another ingo member, was there and armed too. Which happens to be a roofer. That in itself should of let you understand what vupdblue was saying. Let alone the fact that vupdblue is a great guy who is very respestful. Shame on you for twisting that mans word to read someting that they are not.

I think you may be missing my point. I'lll try to clarify how I interpreted the OP's statement that the "sheep were well shepherded" and why I have issues with it.

The shepherd holds the power of life and death over the sheep. The sheep must be guided to food and water. The shepherd chooses when to cull the ignorant, defenseless sheep. The sheep have no power of their own, the shepherd holds it all.

Now, with those inferences in mind, lets extrapolate that to a LEO making comments on how him and his LEO buddies were out with their families, and how does he perceive the public that pays his salary? As sheep, and he and his LEO buddies are the power wielding shepherds.

Am I reading more into this than the OP intended? Probably. But even his casually tossed out comment has an impact. I believe it reinforces the sentiment that many people have of police having some sort of holier than thou attitude when it comes to them and the rest of the citizens. That they are on one side of their precious thin blue line...the battle line...and the rest of us arent.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    True, but I was mostly commenting on posts 30, 34, and 36 which (to me)seemed to imply that the perceived attitude of LEO's towards civilians was the issue. I was heading towards the idea that the situation is what the situation is and would not be changed by whether or not the OP was a LEO. As it turns out, he's not. Personally, I feel that being considered a "sheepdog" by others would be a high compliment. You can call me "Loretta" as long as I'm able to effectively protect my family and myself.

No, I don't have a womb. ;)

Or he refering to someone like me who would stand up in a situation and protect your wife or kids without hesitation. I am not an Leo and have no vested intrest in getting hurt but I will help strangers that need help, no questions asked.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I guess the only question I have at this point is: Why bring up the language argument now? The sheep, sheeple, shepherd, sheepdog references are rampant on this and other gun forums and I don't recall anyone taking particular offense to it before. What's different now?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I guess the only question I have at this point is: Why bring up the language argument now? The sheep, sheeple, shepherd, sheepdog references are rampant on this and other gun forums and I don't recall anyone taking particular offense to it before. What's different now?

I think Harried painted a bullseye on youi :D baahaa baahaa

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Someone got butt hurt. :rolleyes:
    Mike

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I've went back and read VUPD's initial post, and it sure seems to me he was just commenting on how other people in the restaurant had no idea there were 4-5 legally armed patrons in this restaurant...and he thought this sort of cool and thought he would share it. I found no indication of "holier than thou" attitude. YMMV.

Hell, every time I carry, I'm aware of others around me and try to spot those who may also be carrying. I also wonder how so many people can go thru life just sort of going thru the motions, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN

If Harried hadn't taken the beat down like he did following his post, I probably wouldn't have bothered posting anything. But when I saw the sentiment that I shared get pounded here, I decided to throw in my :twocents:.

Do I agree with everything he said and how he said it? No. And I am not on here often enough to know who is banned and who is trolling, yadda yadda. It did seem more than a little odd for someones 2nd post to be like his was.

The "sheep were well shepherded" line rubbed me a little the wrong way, that is all.

If you want to get down to brass tacks, yes, I feel that this nation is slowly becoming more and more of a police state. When I see two girls get beat down for something as stupid jaywalking by a nincompoop of a LEO, or a family has their house broken into in the middle of the night and their dog shot over for an ounce of weed, or a seven year old girl is murdered when the police make a clusterfark of an entry looking for someone else etc. etc. etc. I get my hackles up.

Am I a LEO hater? No. My wife's life was very likely saved by some very fast acting officers not too long ago. Through her and her work I've met some class act LEO's. That fact does not dissuade me from my belief that the citizens of this country are gradually being put under the thumb of the militarized government and law enforcement agencies. That is for another post, I suppose, so I'll try to stick to this thread topic.

When I read about how all the gun-toters and LEO in the restaurant are gonna keep the sheep safe, it bugged me. It reinforced my belief, and I am fairly certain the belief of others, that many LEO and their ilk see themselves as existing on a different strata than the rest of us mere citizens.

It wasnt just the terms you used. Hell I have probably used the term sheeple before. It was the context in which it was used.

Someone else asked in this thread if I would have had a problem if the same comment had been made without the reference to LEO. That is a good question and has given me pause. I would have to say that I probably would not have felt the need to respond in the same way. I would have chalked it up to another post similar to "Guess where I OC'ed today" or "Another boring interaction with the PD" thread. The fact is that this post did have the LEO factor in and as such I dont believe it should be glossed over.

If a "sheep and shepherd" mindset exists, (and the OP has only strengthened my belief that it does) it is important to be aware of that and talk about it.

Let us not forget that "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" and that having a gun or a badge or a license plate with a blue stripe doesnt give anyone else any more rights than me and I will not succumb to being shepherded by them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    So if you're a troll, you think your job is to "be an
    asshat.png
    ", and by posting nonsense and :bs: , you're implying that you'd rather have everyone think you're just on the board to stir up :poop: so that the members won't have to take what you say seriously? Is this right?
    On the other hand, if you're just uninformed and you asked sincere questions in this forum, I think you'll find this is a nice place.
    As someone who knows nothing about the topics of the lawful use of firearms and personal self-defense, I'd like to ask, "What will an armed civilian do if there was an abusive customer there, or if a domestic fight broke out between a couple, or if someone ran out on their tab?" Because I seem to have personal character defects that I like to project onto others, I'd be tempted to acted like a "zero" and draw my gun, even when it wasn't legal to do so, and shoot people.
    Just who do I think I am "trolling" a gun forum, and by the way, did these people on :ingo:ask me to be a "troll"? Carrying a firearm is for self-defense, but I think that doing so equates to vigilante BS, even if that's not the truth. In other words, instead of being a troll I should MFOFB (Make Friends On Firearms Boards), and post intelligently and respectfully, and not act like the town idiot.

Fixed it for ya... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I thought Obama was our shepherd? :dunno:

:rofl:

I suspect that the terms of this analogy (the one most prevalently used in the early days of the forum) are perhaps getting slightly merged with a more politically based version suggesting a slightly different analogy when taken out of that context.

I know what you meant in your observation, and it wasn't disrespect.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    If Harried hadn't taken the beat down like he did following his post, I probably wouldn't have bothered posting anything. But when I saw the sentiment that I shared get pounded here, I decided to throw in my :twocents:.

Do I agree with everything he said and how he said it? No. And I am not on here often enough to know who is banned and who is trolling, yadda yadda. It did seem more than a little odd for someones 2nd post to be like his was.

The "sheep were well shepherded" line rubbed me a little the wrong way, that is all.

If you want to get down to brass tacks, yes, I feel that this nation is slowly becoming more and more of a police state. When I see two girls get beat down for something as stupid jaywalking by a nincompoop of a LEO, or a family has their house broken into in the middle of the night and their dog shot over for an ounce of weed, or a seven year old girl is murdered when the police make a clusterfark of an entry looking for someone else etc. etc. etc. I get my hackles up.

Am I a LEO hater? No. My wife's life was very likely saved by some very fast acting officers not too long ago. Through her and her work I've met some class act LEO's. That fact does not dissuade me from my belief that the citizens of this country are gradually being put under the thumb of the militarized government and law enforcement agencies. That is for another post, I suppose, so I'll try to stick to this thread topic.

When I read about how all the gun-toters and LEO in the restaurant are gonna keep the sheep safe, it bugged me. It reinforced my belief, and I am fairly certain the belief of others, that many LEO and their ilk see themselves as existing on a different strata than the rest of us mere citizens.

It wasnt just the terms you used. Hell I have probably used the term sheeple before. It was the context in which it was used.

Someone else asked in this thread if I would have had a problem if the same comment had been made without the reference to LEO. That is a good question and has given me pause. I would have to say that I probably would not have felt the need to respond in the same way. I would have chalked it up to another post similar to "Guess where I OC'ed today" or "Another boring interaction with the PD" thread. The fact is that this post did have the LEO factor in and as such I dont believe it should be glossed over.

If a "sheep and shepherd" mindset exists, (and the OP has only strengthened my belief that it does) it is important to be aware of that and talk about it.

Let us not forget that "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" and that having a gun or a badge or a license plate with a blue stripe doesnt give anyone else any more rights than me and I will not succumb to being shepherded by them.

This is where you made your first wrong ASSumption. And you should have responded a different way as the OP is not a LEO!

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My reference in my OP to "off duty officer buddies" was made only to describe my realization of who in the building was likely armed. Nothing more. If the officers had in fact been INGOers or shooting buddies instead of LEOs, I would have noted such as a justification as to why I thought they might be armed.

Again, I have no delusions of grandeur of saving the whole place from bad men with guns, but I am adequately prepared to protect my family. I sincerely hope those circumstances don't come to pass, but who knows...

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    My reference in my OP to "off duty officer buddies" was made only to describe my realization of who in the building was likely armed. Nothing more. If the officers had in fact been INGOers or shooting buddies instead of LEOs, I would have noted such as a justification as to why I thought they might be armed.

Again, I have no delusions of grandeur of saving the whole place from bad men with guns, but I am adequately prepared to protect my family. I sincerely hope those circumstances don't come to pass, but who knows...
    Don't sweat it.
    Most of us knew where you were coming from. :)
    Mike

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Let me first say that I believe you are obviously an intelligent person and that you seem to be quite reasonable.

That being said I would like to point out a few things that I find a difficult time seeing your POV on. These comments can be found below in blue.

While this may have rubbed you personally the wrong way, it doesn't make it inaccurate or disrespectful, remember a lot of our own personal feelings go into forming our perceptions of the facts around us.

If you want to get down to brass tacks, yes, I feel that this nation is slowly becoming more and more of a police state. When I see two girls get beat down for something as stupid jaywalking by a nincompoop of a LEO

Both of the females you're referring to defied a lawful order that was put in place because of the 125+ pedestrians who had been struck by vehicles in that area and then proceeded to resist arrest. If a LEO tells me to stop and put my hands behind my back, I'm going to stop and put my hands behind my back regardless of whether or not I feel like I "DESERVE" to be detained. Also the second those girls started resisting detention they entered into a whole new level of the force continuum and to be frank I feel the office *for the most part* showed great restraint and attempted to subdue the subject(s) without really hurting them. This is all in addition to the verbal abuse that the LEO endured from both suspects as well as the crowd.

or a family has their house broken into in the middle of the night and their dog shot over for an ounce of weed, or a seven year old girl is murdered when the police make a clusterfark of an entry looking for someone else etc. etc. etc. I get my hackles up.

I've only briefly heard about these stories and I can say that the 7yr. olds loss of life is a true tragedy. I will comment to the fact that 1oz of MJ is enough for intent to distribute which is a felony and drug dealers often use trained attack dogs as guard dogs and I don't think that the LEO's in that scenario did anything wrong if they were being attacked (As I am under the impression they were, feel free to correct me and link the report/article if I'm wrong).

Again I would say that since LEO are held responsible for the safety of those around them, even when off duty, that they do need to reside on a different "Strata" of alertness and preparedness than civilians. (To use your verbage)

I agree that it is important to be aware of this situation because sheepdogs have accepted a higher level of responsibility than your average citizen and when the SHTF the sheepdog (whether it be LEO or Armed responsible Civi's) needs to take into account not only the sheep mentality pertaining to sheepdogs (who are constantly resesnted) but the fact that they have a responsibility to protect the sheep and not leave them to be preyed upon by the wolves.

Let us not forget that "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" and that having a gun or a badge or a license plate with a blue stripe doesnt give anyone else any more rights than me.

While all men are created equal, they do not remain equal depending on their choices in life. Would you consider the mass murderer as an equal? I sir do not. Certain men and women have chosen paths in their lives that lead them to greater responsibility (generally Military, LEO, Medical professionals, Firemen/women) than your average civilian. These people sacrifice the luxury that most civilians enjoy of the costs of "Freedom and Safety". Please do not forget that many soldiers, fire, medical and LEO have lost and spilt blood for your ability to walk down the street obliviously yammering on your cellphones while sipping latte's and blasting .mp3's through your iPods. If you don't think these people operate on another level of social responsibility then I think we're done debating and we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I will not succumb to being shepherded by them

I personally don't really care for the term "shepherd" in regards to LEO and the responsibly armed civilians. However, that doesn't mean that your average civilians who are targeted every single day all day and night long (unless you care to argue that crimes don't happen vs. innocent civilians) have the same amount of social responsibility on their shoulders as the sheepdogs.

Careful that your resistance to duly appointed authority (LEO's) doesn't begin to send you on the path of the wolf just to spite anyone who may view you as a "Sheep". If you dislike being potentially referred to as a Sheep so much, assume the responsibility of becoming a "Sheepdog" for a few years covering more than your own backside and get back to us on how you feel on the subject.

Safe Shooting.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom