• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Neighbors to the west are great people. Both in their 70s and salt of the Earth.

The woman to the East is a widow who thinks money is the end. Talks about it to no end. How her son in law makes so much and has the big house cars etc.....blah blah blah blah blah....

The real side show is the couple across the street. They don't cut heir lawn until 10 minutes after I cut mine. They don't trim their hedges until I do mine. But he only does half of them? He wear shorts all year long and looks like Jerry Garcia. I think his job is to play piano at church on Sudnays. His wife is a pilot for the region airline and shes the one who cuts the grass.

She has a self propelled mower but doesn't know how to use the self propelled feature so she is bent over half way pushing the the hell out of the thing up and down the hill in front. I want to go out and tell her that the stupid little lever on the handle makes the thing move by itself but my wife says to stay out of it. I want to save her from the same issue my buddy had when his wife wanted to cut the grass.

He showed her how to star the thing and what not to do. He left to go to work and came back and the lawn was cut. He was quite happy and asked his pretty little wife how it went. She said it was really hard and didn't think she could do it again. It took her 3.5x longer to do it than it took him. They talked about it for a while and he figured out he hadn't told her about the self-propelled deal. A simple oversight he thought. It almost ened up in divorce court but is a funny cocktail party story now..

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    My neighbors are two elderly people. They are constantly in my business and are as annoying as possible. The old woman constantly criticizes me. I live in a house that I purchased out of foreclosure and I'm fixing up to flip. She is constantly telling me what to do and criticizing my improvements, all the while her house is in disrepair. She recently knocked on my door to inform me that I should build sides underneath my deck so that "skunks don't build a nest under there." My house had a stone façade that did not match the color of my siding. I recently painted it a complementing color. These old people came out of their house just to tell me that they didn't approve of the color of my paint. I nearly had a meltdown. It took every ounce of restraint I had not to tell them to mind their own business. I am a high school teacher. Earlier in the year I found a pile of dead bass in my driveway. I suspect it was some of my students. As I was cleaning up the dead bass, these old geezers came out of their house just to tell me that the bass had been in my driveway too long to eat. This is what I deal with every day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My neighbors are two elderly people. They are constantly in my business and are as annoying as possible. The old woman constantly criticizes me. I live in a house that I purchased out of foreclosure and I'm fixing up to flip. She is constantly telling me what to do and criticizing my improvements, all the while her house is in disrepair. She recently knocked on my door to inform me that I should build sides underneath my deck so that "skunks don't build a nest under there." My house had a stone façade that did not match the color of my siding. I recently painted it a complementing color. These old people came out of their house just to tell me that they didn't approve of the color of my paint. I nearly had a meltdown. It took every ounce of restraint I had not to tell them to mind their own business. I am a high school teacher. Earlier in the year I found a pile of dead bass in my driveway. I suspect it was some of my students. As I was cleaning up the dead bass, these old geezers came out of their house just to tell me that the bass had been in my driveway too long to eat. This is what I deal with every day.

Life can be a Poo sandwich.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Let's see, I've had dogs, turkeys, chickens and ducks come onto my property (from my neighbors to my north). Two of those types have actually come up to me WHILE I was shooting. It was a bit odd to feel a dog licking my ear when I least expected it. The Turkey I saw out my peripheral vision. Didn't seem to give a rat's ass one way or another.

The previous dogs they owned however, a rottweiler and a pitbull named 'judge' and 'jury' sure gave my wife and kids (kids at the time aged about 5 & 11) quite a scare. When I confronted them about it, she'd told me they were 'harmless' and wasn't a concern (despite my wife talking with a tutor who turned out was bitten by one of them when entering the property).
    When I mentioned that they couldn't keep control of the animals, and that they weren't socialized due to being chained to a tree in the front yard 24/7, she exclaimed 'we do keep control of them. They just keep breaking off the chain, and there's nothing we can do once that happens'. :ugh:
    Rocket friggin surgery. Some people are idiots.

The other neighbors are fine.. and we help one another out as often as we can. I'm happy they are our neighbors, and happy I can help them in any way I can.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    My neighbor across my street is a retired LEO. He mows his grass a lot and is a very nice guy and helps whenever I need something.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I just don't get why neighbors have to be *******s. Being an ******* seems like it'd take more effort. I mean, they don't have to be neighborly, but they don't have to go out of their way to pester their neighbors either.

But I also don't get melting down over it. Well, the bass thing, that'd be kinda upsetting. But the paint? It's not mandatory to be polite to busybodies. If she tells you she doesn't like the paint you chose, tell her that you don't really care for the shade of yellow she chose for her teeth, but it's her teeth and by gosh, at her age she can have whatever color she wants for the few teeth she has left. And, let her know that if there is anything else she doesn't like about the way you do things, she could just stay in her house and watch game shows, or nit, or bake something. There are other things to do besides being a crappy neighbor.

I probably wouldn't say those things until I've exhausted other means to strike dètante with her. There are just people who can't abide other people looking different, or acting different, or doing things differently from how they do it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Is it possible they would otherwise be friendly, or at least cordial and are communicating with you based on the information they have available to strike up a conversation with you about? A number of years ago, after living in Bloomington for quite some time, we finally moved out into the country. We live a few miles east of Mitchell. Bloomington likes to portray themselves as a quaint, friendly, little college town. But I'm here to tell you they're little different than any larger Midwest or east coast city--especially if you live around the campus. One of the reasons we moved from there was to get away from that crap. So, one day, shortly after the move, I had to stop by the hardware store in Mitchell to buy a drill bit extension. As I was checking out, the cashier scanned the extender and then picked it up and started looking at it. I was still in my Bloomington state of mind when I began thinking to myself: just ring it up and let's go! Then she started asking me what it was, what would you use it for, etc. Finally, after a curt response or two, it dawned on me: this is why I moved away from that commie place--this is how I remembered small town life being. In smaller towns, where I grew up, folks would take a moment out of their day and actually communicate with you (or as they'd say down south--to visit with you) rather than avoid eye contact. Some people are better at striking up interesting and pleasant conversations; some people don't have the same interpersonal skills; and it's true, some people are as they appear--busy bodies, that want to just complain and criticize. I have no idea which you're confronted with but offer a different perspective for consideration.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Is it possible they would otherwise be friendly, or at least cordial and are communicating with you based on the information they have available to strike up a conversation with you about? A number of years ago, after living in Bloomington for quite some time, we finally moved out into the country. We live a few miles east of Mitchell. Bloomington likes to portray themselves as a quaint, friendly, little college town. But I'm here to tell you they're little different than any larger Midwest or east coast city--especially if you live around the campus. One of the reasons we moved from there was to get away from that crap. So, one day, shortly after the move, I had to stop by the hardware store in Mitchell to buy a drill bit extension. As I was checking out, the cashier scanned the extender and then picked it up and started looking at it. I was still in my Bloomington state of mind when I began thinking to myself: just ring it up and let's go! Then she started asking me what it was, what would you use it for, etc. Finally, after a curt response or two, it dawned on me: this is why I moved away from that commie place--this is how I remembered small town life being. In smaller towns, where I grew up, folks would take a moment out of their day and actually communicate with you (or as they'd say down south--to visit with you) rather than avoid eye contact. Some people are better at striking up interesting and pleasant conversations; some people don't have the same interpersonal skills; and it's true, some people are as they appear--busy bodies, that want to just complain and criticize. I have no idea which you're confronted with but offer a different perspective for consideration.
    I assure you that I'm simply dealing with busy bodies. I go out of my way to be friendly and polite to people, but I can't tolerate these arrogant old people anymore. It seems like they actually enjoy complaining and criticizing me. It's downright weird.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    good neighbors all the way around me right now. This hasn't happened since I moved in 17 years ago.

Neighbor to the west pays my son to mow and trim the yard, neighbor to the east is a quiet older woman who's mom lived there when I moved in. Across the street is rentals, or mostly all rentals. They all have good people in them. One of the long time neighbors just died though. His daughter may move in to the house or she may rent it out. Either way she said she won't just let anyone move in there.
    '

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I assure you that I'm simply dealing with busy bodies. I go out of my way to be friendly and polite to people, but I can't tolerate these arrogant old people anymore. It seems like they actually enjoy complaining and criticizing me. It's downright weird.

You are the son they never had.....:dunno:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My neighbor is insane. His desire for a neatly manicured lawn has turned into a sadistic obsession. Hours and hours and hours of cutting, trimming, and fertilizing in the heat, rain, sleet, you name it. He even called the police department on his neighbor to the south because leaves from their tree blew onto his lawn last Fall.

We have one of these, lolz. Comes home from work and mows, sometimes still wearing shirt, tie and security ID (works at nearby hospital).

We call him The Lawn Ranger. On the plus side, you could practice putting on his lawn

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Only met 1 of my neighbors so far since I just moved. Nice guy, talked to me about how he needs to cut some bushes off the side of his house and how he's got a dirtbike with a bad clutch...might see if he wants to do some labor trades lol. My other neighbor is a red fox...comes out of the woods at night to take a dump on my back porch...I don't like him...

View attachment 48296

You could run and catch him when he does that. I don't think he can run that fast

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If that's really the case, you don't have to be polite. But don't just assume their motivation is arrogance.

Having lived in several different areas of the country, rural, urban, suburban, you can't assume that the way you take what they say is the way they mean it. It's like I said, a lot of people just don't understand why people would do something different from the way they'd do it. I've noticed this mostly in the country, but can happen anywhere.

I've had people get offended if I don't like the same kind of food they like. Or if I don't like the same sports teams they like. Or if I don't mow my lawn the same height they mow theirs. Or if I don't like the same colors, or cars--heaven help you if you're a Chevy man in a Ford world, or even worse, a Chrysler man in either of the others. In one place a neighbor was offended because I don't care to hunt. It's just not my thing. In Missippi my neighbor brought over some muscadines for me to try. I thought, dang, man, those are some big grapes. I bit into one thinking it was going to taste just like grapes, but the look on my face offended the neighbor.

I guess what I'm saying, don't let other people ruin your day just because their culture or sensibilities are different from yours. Let people not like your paint. It's okay. And for the busybody's, it may be that they really have no life outside of helping you live yours. Or, it's just old fart syndrome where anything the young whippersnappers do is just plain wrong.

You said the old woman's house is in disrepair. How about this: next time she ridicules the color you paint your house, look over at hers, and if it needs painting, offer to help her paint her house in a color SHE likes.

Or, just be rude. If all else proves unfruitful, and she's just going to be rude to you, you can be as rude to her as she is to you.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Since moving in July 2013, we finally have great neighbors all around. I've had some doozies in past, but all is well now. Unless any of us change our mind, we all plan to retire here. Small but well stocked pond in our back yard.

Top Bottom