• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've prepared analysis for a projects for a steel mill. And I've dug into other people's analysis to find out how they come up with the numbers.

You can quote the top of the line equipment.
    Estimate all machinery only works up to 75 percent of estimated life.
    Estimate the costs of replacements will skyrocket.
    Estimate that the manufacturer will stop supporting the equipment after 10 years, therefore require complete replacement.
    Estimate the costs of maintenance workers will go up A LOT.
    Insurance for the above workers.

Then, the side that you wish to happen, well..
    those workers wages will barely go up.
    Parts will last forever.
    Parts will be plentiful.
    etc.

This. I sometimes sit in meetings discussing a proposed solution, ask some tough questions, get some half-assed answers, and it becomes evident that the “solution” is a pet and it’s happening whether it makes sense or not. It’s often a solution to a different problem than the one we’re trying to solve. Like say the problem we’re trying to solve is searches run too slow. Well, if we use this square widget we bought and throw enough code at it, it could fit into a round hole. So then it becomes apparent that the real problem they’re trying to solve is that that they bought something expensive and they need to justify its existence.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Whoever designed the ones on 265 in Jeffersonville is an abject idiot. As are some of the folks driving on them. Those function so badly that the only logical conclusion is that the engineer involved was smoking weed and staring at crop circle pictures...

I was confused the first time I used it. But then you get used to it and I like it better than the standard traffic light. It could have been made more intuitive. You have to use it to figure out how it works. I think a well designed interface implies what you’re supposed to do, and that’s the problem with that juction. You have to know it to make it work.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Election Day! Bail Out Joe has got to go!

The most I’ve seen or heard of Donnelly is his face plastered on TV lying about how bipartisan he is, swinging a brand new axe like he’s never touched one before. And admittedly he has voted more bipartisan than the typical DNC ho. But only when his pimp allows him to fellate his constituents instead of the DNC.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    this…the wife and I both takes one of the kids with us.We are manufacturing a couple good little conservatives.

Did I see you at the firehouse just now? I was the cripple at the front of the line.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I've prepared analysis for a projects for a steel mill. And I've dug into other people's analysis to find out how they come up with the numbers.

You can quote the top of the line equipment.
    Estimate all machinery only works up to 75 percent of estimated life.
    Estimate the costs of replacements will skyrocket.
    Estimate that the manufacturer will stop supporting the equipment after 10 years, therefore require complete replacement.
    Estimate the costs of maintenance workers will go up A LOT.
    Insurance for the above workers.

Then, the side that you wish to happen, well..
    those workers wages will barely go up.
    Parts will last forever.
    Parts will be plentiful.
    etc.

This. I sometimes sit in meetings discussing a proposed solution, ask some tough questions, get some half-assed answers, and it becomes evident that the “solution” is a pet and it’s happening whether it makes sense or not. It’s often a solution to a different problem than the one we’re trying to solve. Like say the problem we’re trying to solve is searches run too slow. Well, if we use this square widget we bought and throw enough code at it, it could fit into a round hole. So then it becomes apparent that the real problem they’re trying to solve is that that they bought something expensive and they need to justify its existence.

Try sitting in a conference room with a bunch of officers who are planning an operation and try to explain to them that their plan does not take into account the weather, they are under estimating enemy capabilities and the terrain is incompatible with their plan. Officers are always right, Riiiiiight!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, highest turnout on election day at my precinct in... geez... I guess about 12 years. Also, several people were at the wrong place, which tells me that they are either first-time voters or irregular voters. That means a higher than expected turnout - at least here.

I thought that would mean trouble for Donnelly, but... I'm in a Republican stronghold. If there's a high turnout across the state, that could really end up just narrowing the gap.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, and roundabouts in "new" construction areas are less expensive because of the lower cost of the land. And, if you put something in the middle that doesn't need much maintenance like... you know... grass... then the long term cost is very low.

But, if you buy a couple houses to get the right of way, then commission a hipster artist to design a sculpture, then take bids for a decorative hardscape with lighting effects, then let contracts for the landscaping maintenance... things get more expensiver.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Oh, and roundabouts in "new" construction areas are less expensive because of the lower cost of the land. And, if you put something in the middle that doesn't need much maintenance like... you know... grass... then the long term cost is very low.

But, if you buy a couple houses to get the right of way, then commission a hipster artist to design a sculpture, then take bids for a decorative hardscape with lighting effects, then let contracts for the landscaping maintenance... things get more expensiver.

I don't know what it cost, but the roundabout in Schererville on Cline, just south of 30, has helped traffic flow immensely. It used to be a 4/5 way stop sign, and southbound traffic would back up into US 30. Fixed that mess. It's not a fancy one, and no homes were displaced to build it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't know what it cost, but the roundabout in Schererville on Cline, just south of 30, has helped traffic flow immensely. It used to be a 4/5 way stop sign, and southbound traffic would back up into US 30. Fixed that mess. It's not a fancy one, and no homes were displaced to build it.

Yeah, RABs can work really well in "funky" intersections. We have a set of roundabouts in Carmel (Smoky Row and Meridian for those familiar with it) that are kinda confusing, but the old intersection was terrible. You kinda have to know what it used to be like to understand how it came to be the way it is now.

Also, to jamil's point, new lighting technology is reducing the long-term cost and increasing the effectiveness of lights. Taking into account how inexpensive and durable chips and sensors are getting, I think stoplights will go through a "comeback" at some point. That was an industry that was very complacent and slow to adopt new tech.

I think they're learning that lesson.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Inthink the solution has to fit the problem and work well within the constraints. Sometimes the roundabout is the right solution. Sometimes it’s automatic signals, or, simply a yield or stop sign.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Trying to find a good photo of the new Greenwood one.... came across the web page for it.

Just... MSPaint. MSPaint everywhere.

https://www.greenwood.in.gov/topic/blocks.php?topicid=213

It really does look bad when it's all drawn out like this... like some sort of spaghetti road I would make in a city builder game.

maxresdefault.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah, highest turnout on election day at my precinct in... geez... I guess about 12 years. Also, several people were at the wrong place, which tells me that they are either first-time voters or irregular voters. That means a higher than expected turnout - at least here.

I thought that would mean trouble for Donnelly, but... I'm in a Republican stronghold. If there's a high turnout across the state, that could really end up just narrowing the gap.
    I'm seeing so many new voters. It makes me feel great to be an American today!! This is one of the most sacred rights we have and truly a right that has been paid for in blood by Patriots.
    Every American needs to take voting and serving on a jury as a sacred duty. Men and Women of different colors and religions go and serve and die for me and you and all we are.asked to do is stay in the SAFETY of our neighborhoods or even your home (absentee) and vote for who is going to represent you. The safe and free elections is one of the greatest and most unique things about our republic and is a example for the world and a beacon of white light against evil.
    No matter who you vote for (although please vote Republican;) ) I am very very very happy that you voted my fellow citizens.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm seeing so many new voters. It makes me feel great to be an American today!! This is one of the most sacred rights we have and truly a right that has been paid for in blood by Patriots.
    Every American needs to take voting and serving on a jury as a sacred duty. Men and Women of different colors and religions go and serve and die for me and you and all we are.asked to do is stay in the SAFETY of our neighborhoods or even your home (absentee) and vote for who is going to represent you. The safe and free elections is one of the greatest and most unique things about our republic and is a example for the world and a beacon of white light against evil.
    No matter who you vote for (although please vote Republican;) ) I am very very very happy that you voted my fellow citizens.

Which of course is made up of all the colors of the rainbow. ROY G. BIV! ;)

Top Bottom