security pulls gun on skateboarder, waves it around. points it at kids.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    also if u watch the video close it almost looks like the weapon fell out of the holster rather than him pulling it out

That appears to be the case. He also has some handcuffs out, not sure if those fell out also or if they were out prior to the struggle.

There is no way in hell if would ever let anyone outside of actual law enforcement cuff me (they better have darn good justification i might add), perhaps that is why the struggle ensued ( purely speculation on my part there )

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    That appears to be the case. He also has some handcuffs out, not sure if those fell out also or if they were out prior to the struggle.

There is no way in hell if would ever let anyone outside of actual law enforcement cuff me (they better have darn good justification i might add), perhaps that is why the struggle ensued ( purely speculation on my part there )

yep i agree. no security is cuffing or putting their hands on me. i will do my best not to break any of their bones, but i also wouldnt be doing anything i could think would justify them needing to either. Catch me if you can if i was, lol.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    yep i agree. no security is cuffing or putting their hands on me. i will do my best not to break any of their bones, but i also wouldnt be doing anything i could think would justify them needing to either. Catch me if you can if i was, lol.

Paul Blart would inflict a serious beating on you :laugh::boxing::bat::gaychase:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hope you guys never shoplift, bc lp can cuff you if needed. Indiana merchant statute. And security can hold you for theft under the citizens arrest, since any theft is a class d felony here...

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Hope you guys never shoplift, bc lp can cuff you if needed. Indiana merchant statute. And security can hold you for theft under the citizens arrest, since any theft is a class d felony here...

I did not know that, I always assumed that LP held no authority in an capacity. Detaining somebody (by force ie. bad guy ran, was chased and then handcuffed or passively) has to be some pretty murky water to tread from a legal standpoint for businesses. I would think detaining and questioning a person on the grounds of shoplifting and then finding out they never did anything wrong would be an instant lawsuit. Granted if they did then the rest of my post will be moot.

I can imagine something like this playing out too.....

LP Associate: Sir we think you stole something and hid it on your person.

Me: "I did not steal anything. If you think I did call the police and report it. I am now going to leave"

LP Associate: "Sir I need you to stay here until the police can question you."

Me: "Sorry I'm outta here." (starts to walk away)

LP Associate: (Grabs my arm and in a super ninja mall cop move cuffs me) "I have the right to detain you cause I believe you shoplifted. The police are on there way."

Me: "When my hand get free and am going to reach in to my pocket and hand you my lawyers card, keep it close so when your bosses asks you who (insert lawyers name here) is, you can pull it out and have an oh :poop: moment"

Now this scenario seems a pretty far fetched to me (maybe I'm naive and its not though) but from the quick reading I did on the statute that appears to be legal...... and totally bunk IMO.

Note I also didn't even mention the part of this story where the guy leads me to the "backroom" LP office and brushes up against me to find I am carrying a gun inside my belt on my hip. :):

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    One thing you're missing in your scenario... If they're detaining you, they SAW you take an item, stash it, and then try to leave without paying. They won't say they THINK or BELIEVE you shoplifted, they're going to say they SAW you shoplift, and quite possibly have you on video too. And you can cry to your lawyer all you want, they won't be impressed.

--former LP guy here. We wouldn't detain someone if we weren't 100% sure AND could prove it. False arrest / unlawful detainment issues are something LP guys try very hard to avoid, along with the corresponding lawsuits.

Last edited:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    also if u watch the video close it almost looks like the weapon fell out of the holster rather than him pulling it out

This....plus I think that was keys, not cuffs, that he was picking up. Yes, he did use the hand with the gun in it to point at the guy. Bad gun handling to say the least.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Sadly most stores have "no touch no chase" policies.

I don't know about most. I currently work at one where we may not chase, but we can and will take the person down if they resist. We can chase to a point. It's a pretty highend retailer too. We just have to weigh if the risk is worth getting the merch back

And yes, if LP does stop you or someone with you, you can be sure we know you took something and still have it in your posession. You resist and strike someone, then the city will find you and charge You with battery. We don't do it willynilly. Our people are pretty well trained also. It's a 3-4 month training program.

My point is that the state does give private company power to protect it's property and the people on that property and it is backed up by law. Say what you want, but Paul blart isn't how all security goes.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't know about most. I currently work at one where we may not chase, but we can and will take the person down if they resist. We can chase to a point. It's a pretty highend retailer too. We just have to weigh if the risk is worth getting the merch back

And yes, if LP does stop you or someone with you, you can be sure we know you took something and still have it in your posession. You resist and strike someone, then the city will find you and charge You with battery. We don't do it willynilly. Our people are pretty well trained also. It's a 3-4 month training program.

My point is that the state does give private company power to protect it's property and the people on that property and it is backed up by law. Say what you want, but Paul blart isn't how all security goes.

The Paul Blart comment was me screwing with Ranger:) because he knows a thing or two about security:coffee:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Also, we do pat search for weapons and will retrieve it if it's on you. As another poster said, cry to your lawyer, but we've never lost a case and most defense attorneys will see our narratives, evidence, and know that it won't end well for you.

.... So don't shoplift!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Also, we do pat search for weapons and will retrieve it if it's on you. As another poster said, cry to your lawyer, but we've never lost a case and most defense attorneys will see our narratives, evidence, and know that it won't end well for you.

.... So don't shoplift!

I know that some national chains will not stop you... at least not touch or chase you...... they are not high end places though. I am not a theif though.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    haha. I know. I was just clarifying for others.

I have been impressed with very few security guy's the ones that I would not argue with were armed and wored at Federal buildings...... there were one or two that did not.... mostly because a lot of them don't take their job seriously or take it to seriously......

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    This....plus I think that was keys, not cuffs, that he was picking up. Yes, he did use the hand with the gun in it to point at the guy. Bad gun handling to say the least.

yes definately terrible weapon handling....plus the cop didnt ask for any credintials from the security officer and he didnt seem concerned about the security guard holding a weapon and waving it around....for all he knew he could have been trying to rob the kid

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

i wouldnt have to worry about it because i dont steal. so if an LP guy is trying to stop me he will get no response, and if he touches me he will get an unpleasant day in the ER and we will work it out in court.
    No Paul Blart isnt how "all" security goes, but it is MOST security. maybe your employer teaches you well, i hope so, and your exactly right that you have to be 100% sure to go hands on, but the length of the training doesnt mean crap if people are sitting on their azzes behind a camera or guarding lunch, for 3 or 4 months., or if they are just retarded in general and just collecting a check and going through the motions. quality of the training is the key. im sure a walmart cashier gets several months of training too, but how many of them would you like to beat with a rubber dildo until they learn to use a cash register????? HUNDREDS!!!!

yep if you cuff, detain, citizens arrest someone in indiana they had better have committed a felony or your Azz is grass, and the super troopers will be the lawn mower, and judge PAIN will be the lawn bag, and BUBBA and CHESTER will be the wood chipper in your A** every night.

Wally, you seem like your a cut above the rest, so i dont lump you in with the rest of them. be safe brother.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    i wouldnt have to worry about it because i dont steal. so if an LP guy is trying to stop me he will get no response, and if he touches me he will get an unpleasant day in the ER and we will work it out in court.
    No Paul Blart isnt how "all" security goes, but it is MOST security. maybe your employer teaches you well, i hope so, and your exactly right that you have to be 100% sure to go hands on, but the length of the training doesnt mean crap if people are sitting on their azzes behind a camera or guarding lunch, for 3 or 4 months., or if they are just retarded in general and just collecting a check and going through the motions. quality of the training is the key. im sure a walmart cashier gets several months of training too, but how many of them would you like to beat with a rubber dildo until they learn to use a cash register????? HUNDREDS!!!!

yep if you cuff, detain, citizens arrest someone in indiana they had better have committed a felony or your Azz is grass, and the super troopers will be the lawn mower, and judge PAIN will be the lawn bag, and BUBBA and CHESTER will be the wood chipper in your A** every night.

Wally, you seem like your a cut above the rest, so i dont lump you in with the rest of them. be safe brother.

I watched a little girl with her mom steal in front of a Chashier in the check out lane and I doubt the Cashier noticed........ I did not have a dildo with me though :noway:

Top Bottom