security pulls gun on skateboarder, waves it around. points it at kids.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    One thing you're missing in your scenario... If they're detaining you, they SAW you take an item, stash it, and then try to leave without paying.

I totally agree with you here and I left the part where they saw me take anything on purpose, I was just pointing out a situation that COULD occur. Lets face it we all know idiots that do not think before they act in any profession. My post was to illustrate the one small flaw I saw in the law.

And the last 2 post above my post in this thread might be the best I have ever seen on this sight. :D

Last edited:

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    Let's try not to lump all skateboarders together as well. My son is a sponsored skateboarder, and a straight "A" student. He's kind to the elderly, loves his family, and he's respectful of people's property. If asked to leave a skate spot he has found somewhere, he will without hesitation or fuss. He looks like a skateboarder, skinny pants and all....

He's 16 and just got his first job a MacDonalds.

A young man my son looks up to who is regarded as one of if not ("the")top skateboarders in Ft Wayne is the same way. Tats all over, skateboarder through and through. He has a full time job, is one of the nicest young men you will ever meet, and is attending college.

I hope none of us assume the skateboarder is always the problem.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Violent skate boarders are known for cracking people in the head with their boards:

here this one dies:
    Video of a man beaten to death by a skateboard [Archive] - eBaum's World Forum

another one here:
    YouTube - Hit straight to head by skateboard

A person with a skate board in hand threatening you is a VERY legitimate reason to draw down on someone.

Exactly how this played out? I have no idea, it's a short video.

As to the guy pointing the gun, looks to me like he forgot he had it in his hand for a minute when he pointed and then realized what he was doing and holstered it. I'm not sure how many of have rolled around with someone while a weapon was involved... I'm surprised that old timer didn't have an infarction with all that adrenaline pumping.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008

Yeah... they were idiots. Not all people are on the up and up as a whole. The people asking for receipts are not really LP. Everything matters on the training. I take my job seriously b/c we end up saving our store over $100,000 a year at the very least through external apprehensions and internal investigations and apprehensions. We are a little more than some security position.

It all comes down to training no matter what position you're in. Most security businesses have problems b/c they pay minimum wage and hire idiots to fill the positions... not that way where I am at and the position I'm taking in Pittsburgh (Organized retail crime investigator).

When I was in security, I became a training officer and recommended MANY guys/girls to be let go due to their attitude and lack of ability to handle a situation professionally. We were medical responders among other things also.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    No Paul Blart isnt how "all" security goes, but it is MOST security. maybe your employer teaches you well, i hope so, and your exactly right that you have to be 100% sure to go hands on, but the length of the training doesnt mean crap if people are sitting on their azzes behind a camera or guarding lunch, for 3 or 4 months., or if they are just retarded in general and just collecting a check and going through the motions. quality of the training is the key. im sure a walmart cashier gets several months of training too, but how many of them would you like to beat with a rubber dildo until they learn to use a cash register????? HUNDREDS!!!!

I guess you could say "MOST" LEOs are like "Super Troopers" because I've heard a TON of bad cop stories on here, the news, and personal experience???
    And of course I would be wrong but I'm trying to prove a point. Where there are a few bad apple trees, there usually is a whole apple orchard that has good apples.

Now I'm sure you didn't mean any harm by your comment and by no means am I flaming you for your comment. But please allow me a moment to thread jack and defend us guards because this isn't the first time I've heard comments like this.

Believe me I know Security is not a glamours job and I know there are Guards who think they stand right with LEO’s in the whole fighting of crime scheme of things. Saying that I have worked in Security for a while now (LP, Hospital, and Bank) so I know there are alot of professional guards and the :poop: we have to deal with day in and day out. And to top the Sundae we usually get a crash course training (which is usually based more on Customer Service than actual Security), handed a radio, set of keys and told to go protect the thing we are supposed to protect.

I have dealt with pain in the arse drunks that LEO’s have dropped off at the hospital front door, I have had family fist fights break out that I’ve had to break up, I have had guys three times my size tripping off drugs snap restraints like paper chains, and had to try and physically hold them down so the nurse could administer drugs. Let’s not forget the times I’ve been punched, kicked, spit on, and yes pissed on. And again having to handle all this with a radio on my hip and the two hands God gave me. So it’s not all sitting at a desk watching a monitor eating potato chips. Just like LE isn’t all doughnut eating or is it? :D

JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    I did not know that, I always assumed that LP held no authority in an capacity. Detaining somebody (by force ie. bad guy ran, was chased and then handcuffed or passively) has to be some pretty murky water to tread from a legal standpoint for businesses. I would think detaining and questioning a person on the grounds of shoplifting and then finding out they never did anything wrong would be an instant lawsuit. Granted if they did then the rest of my post will be moot.

I can imagine something like this playing out too.....

LP Associate: Sir we think you stole something and hid it on your person.

Me: "I did not steal anything. If you think I did call the police and report it. I am now going to leave"

LP Associate: "Sir I need you to stay here until the police can question you."

Me: "Sorry I'm outta here." (starts to walk away)

LP Associate: (Grabs my arm and in a super ninja mall cop move cuffs me) "I have the right to detain you cause I believe you shoplifted. The police are on there way."

Me: "When my hand get free and am going to reach in to my pocket and hand you my lawyers card, keep it close so when your bosses asks you who (insert lawyers name here) is, you can pull it out and have an oh :poop: moment"

Now this scenario seems a pretty far fetched to me (maybe I'm naive and its not though) but from the quick reading I did on the statute that appears to be legal...... and totally bunk IMO.

Note I also didn't even mention the part of this story where the guy leads me to the "backroom" LP office and brushes up against me to find I am carrying a gun inside my belt on my hip. :):

Our company has the three points. Selection, concealment, and pass all points of sale. If I keep eyes on you the whole time through and know you dont dump the product youll probably get cuffs on. If they resist, I hope the beating you give you can give through a face full of OC. They run, I chase. Im not salary and I dont have to chase if I dont want too so I probably wont run too far.

Im not stopping anyone that doesnt have the three points. I know that if i make a bad stop with out the three points my company will probably roll on me in a heart beat and ill get the lawsuit.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    oh my god

Sorry im late but i just seen this post.

"He challenged me" Thats what the Security Guy says, So this POS want to kill a human for the protection of buisness property, seems like the security guard took property matters into the public street? and the skater is the one in "cuffs"?????????

Im 32 and have been skateboarding for 3/4 or my life and ive NEVER seen an instance where security feels the need to pull out a firearm or take this kind of measure to anyone. Ive seen a few wild/angry chases with downtown securities but never seen use of DEADLY force to apprehend a skater.

The only situation i can think of that led to the security guard to take this kind of defense is where the skater gets pushed in the back from grinding that 350,000$ marbel ledge, skater picks up board to "defend himself", security pulls out firearm, skaters leave in a hurry, security wants to take this incident further, the rest is on the video,

Why did the security feel the need to get physical and deadly?
    or take it into the public street. The teens were OFF the property situation is over ....What did the security think he was doing?

Trust me a skater or no skater is NOT going to "challenge" anyone thats open carrying especially when the security appears to look like a un-uniformed police officer, "cuffs" "sidearm" t-shirt with lawenforcement logo..

FIRE that punk ass $%#$%% and take away his firearm liscense.

I wish i knew where this took place i want to know more.

my nerves:xmad:!!!

Last edited:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Our company has the three points. Selection, concealment, and pass all points of sale. If I keep eyes on you the whole time through and know you dont dump the product youll probably get cuffs on. If they resist, I hope the beating you give you can give through a face full of OC. They run, I chase. Im not salary and I dont have to chase if I dont want too so I probably wont run too far.

Im not stopping anyone that doesnt have the three points. I know that if i make a bad stop with out the three points my company will probably roll on me in a heart beat and ill get the lawsuit.

Ditto. I do not wish to be lumped in with wal mart peeps. Also, cashiers usually just alert lp if they see something. Many don't act on it.

I'm kind of surprised at some of the attitudes toward security or lp on here.

JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    Ditto. I do not wish to be lumped in with wal mart peeps. Also, cashiers usually just alert lp if they see something. Many don't act on it.

I'm kind of surprised at some of the attitudes toward security or lp on here.

Yea, im used to it now. I knew what i was getting into. Big deal.

If we werent their they would love the inflation of the stores prices due to theft though.

Got 2 tonight. Pretty goodnight, thought id brag a bit.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I guess you could say "MOST" LEOs are like "Super Troopers" because I've heard a TON of bad cop stories on here, the news, and personal experience???
    And of course I would be wrong but I'm trying to prove a point. Where there are a few bad apple trees, there usually is a whole apple orchard that has good apples.

Now I'm sure you didn't mean any harm by your comment and by no means am I flaming you for your comment. But please allow me a moment to thread jack and defend us guards because this isn't the first time I've heard comments like this.

Believe me I know Security is not a glamours job and I know there are Guards who think they stand right with LEO’s in the whole fighting of crime scheme of things. Saying that I have worked in Security for a while now (LP, Hospital, and Bank) so I know there are alot of professional guards and the :poop: we have to deal with day in and day out. And to top the Sundae we usually get a crash course training (which is usually based more on Customer Service than actual Security), handed a radio, set of keys and told to go protect the thing we are supposed to protect.

I have dealt with pain in the arse drunks that LEO’s have dropped off at the hospital front door, I have had family fist fights break out that I’ve had to break up, I have had guys three times my size tripping off drugs snap restraints like paper chains, and had to try and physically hold them down so the nurse could administer drugs. Let’s not forget the times I’ve been punched, kicked, spit on, and yes pissed on. And again having to handle all this with a radio on my hip and the two hands God gave me. So it’s not all sitting at a desk watching a monitor eating potato chips. Just like LE isn’t all doughnut eating or is it? :D

Don't you work at that hospital where that dude stole all that stuff.. wait, wasn't that on your shift? Weren't you there? Didn't you see him when you walked through that area? How many movies do you watch a night... btw do you have any new ones for this weekend.. we may get bored :D

Top Bottom