Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    you'll get a lot more for it on gunbroker
    That is a good point.

INGO is great for moving commodity items quickly. For something like your rifle that will probably have its papers by the time it goes up for sale, you want something national to get the most out of it. This is a VERY limited audience.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    That is a good point.

INGO is great for moving commodity items quickly. For something like your rifle that will probably have its papers by the time it goes up for sale, you want something national to get the most out of it. This is a VERY limited audience.

I sold my 357 winchester lever action last year on GB. I might have gotten 600-800 locally, got $1300 on GB

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    year 1895. has not much value

Say what? Did you read what @Leadeye stated above? Here let me quote it for you and highlight the part about "not much value" ...

A Cody letter is a great thing to have and won't be wasted money. It can be a surprise provenance.

Condition is everything on old Winchesters, but being a 44-40, the most desired caliber, it won't bring less than $1600 on the very bottom end of value. These things keep going up all the time.

Take a good look at the bore and run a patch through it, these old 1873s were fed a diet of BP ammo and corrosion is common.

There are plenty of disassembly videos for these things on the internet, but if you decide to start turning screws I would remove the stock and soak the entire rifle in diesel or kerosene for a good while.

Mind the power level of your cartridges if you decide to shoot it, the 1873 is not a strong action.

Historically this is the gun, and caliber, that won the west, a great success for Winchester.

Best of luck with it, and as was said upstream, keep it. :)

If you consider this "not much value", please explain to us what is "much value" to you.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    How to get a letter on a Winchester rifle:
    ^^^^^ Yes this^^^^^^^^^ I did it with both of my pre-WWII 94's. Each letter I believe cost me $60.00. I my opinion it was worth it. :)

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    The cowboy SASS fourm will get a higher return than here as they play with them. NCOW's is another one that play with the 73's. With out the Cody letter don't expect much over $1000-$1500. You will also need good pictures and several closeup of different parts of it. You could find a member of SASS and see if they would list it for a small fee.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Check your bore condition and over all mechanics and list on GB. The exterior pictures look like many I've seen, but prospective customers will want to know about the bore and how well the rifle works. Collectors will be interested in the Cody letter if it turns up anything but I see shooter 1873s in 44-40 these days fetch $1600 and up, particularly on a Sunday evening. Best of luck with it, but personally I would hang on to it.:)

Top Bottom