Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Police guild: Officer did nothing wrong in videotaped punch

Intersection known for jaywalking problem, records show

By CASEY MCNERTHNEY
    SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

Hours after a South Precinct police officer received community complaints for the videotaped punch of a young woman at a jaywalking stop, police union president Rich O'Neill made his position on the officer clear.

related.gif

· Seattle officer punches girl in face during jaywalking stop
    · Punch caught on video prompts Seattle police review of arrest procedures

"He did nothing wrong," O'Neill said. "If anything, I think he maybe waited a little too long to engage in force because I think he was trying to defuse the situation and calm people down and it was obvious from the audio anyway of the two individuals that they were not going to be calmed down.
    "They were not going to comply in any way."
    About 3:10 p.m. Monday, Officer Ian Walsh saw several people unlawfully cross Martin Luther King Jr. Way South near the arterial's intersection with Rainier Avenue South, according to another officer's incident report. Rather than use a pedestrian overpass, the group wandered across the busy street -- one known for years of jaywalking problems.
    Walsh stopped and ordered a 17-year-old girl to stop as she walked away from him. When she didn't, he tried to pull her back to the scene, and the jaywalking arrest took a violent turn.
    Video shows Walsh, a four-year department veteran, wrestling with the girl in an attempt to place her under arrest. When another woman grabbed him, he punched her in the face.
    A bystander pulled the second woman away as Walsh continued to struggle with the 17-year-old. Both teens were ultimately arrested and have been jailed and jailed. The 19-year-old who was punched was released from jail Monday; the girl was released from juvenile detention Tuesday afternoon.
    "Shame on you," said Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle President and CEO James Kelly, who said Walsh overreacted. "The use of violence in the form of a full-blown fist to the face was wrong."
    Kelly, who was with the girl and supported her family at her Tuesday court hearing, said he wasn't making any excuses for her, "but two wrongs don't make a right."
    Interim Seattle Police Chief John Diaz has launched a global review of arrest tactics in the wake of video of showing a Seattle police officer punching a teen following a jaywalking stop.
    In a Tuesday briefing with reporters, Assistant Chief Nick Metz said department officials are withholding judgment on the officer's actions.
    The American Civil Liberties Union, citing Seattle Police Office of Professional Accountability reports, said Seattle police have a long history of escalating jaywalking citations into force situations.
    But O'Neill said the officer reacted the way he was trained, and the only reason the situation escalated was because of the alleged violators' actions. He repeated one question: Why didn't they comply?
    "Let's put the accountability where it needs to be: They escalated the situation.
    "You escalate a situation when you put your hands on a uniformed officer -- you have no reason to do that," O'Neill said. "There's no justification to ever do that. And when you make that decision to go down that road then the officer is going to resort to their training."
    It's not appropriate for officers to just walk away when someone is assaulting them because the assailants are clearly a threat to others as well, O'Neill said. In the video, the alleged violators use explicit language insulting the officer.
    "The Ron and Don Show" on KIRO radio questioned whether a bystander is pictured carrying a gun in the video, and some seattlepi.com readers raised the same question. Police are investigating the video and entire incident, but have not determined a gun was involved, Seattle Police Department spokesman Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said Tuesday night.
    Asked about gender -- if an male officer was right to hit a young woman -- O'Neill pointed to the violent act of teenage girls in the Metro Transit Tunnel beating earlier this year and said there are many other incidents that show young women can be serious threats to male officers.
    Leaders in the African-American community on Tuesday raised questions of race. Walsh is white, the alleged violators and most of the crowed were black.
    "The race issue gets old after a while; it really does," O'Neill said, adding Seattle and the community can lose credibility.
    "I am confident that this officer would have taken the exact same action had it been two white males or white females in their 30s that he was trying to stop for jaywalking. … The officer was reacting to the actions of the violators. The officer was not reacting because of their gender, because of their race.
    "The officer was reacting because they chose to escalate the situation."
    At the 17-year-old's court hearing Tuesday, the prosecutor asked a judge to keep the teen in juvenile detention, saying she's a threat to the community and noting her minor criminal record that included a deferred prosecution for theft of a motor vehicle.
    The girl's defense attorney, seated next to her foster caregiver, her aunt and a social worker, asked that she be released without home monitoring. The judge was told the girl had no curfew problems and that she would be cared for.
    The 17-year-old attends Seattle Central Community College and is scheduled to get her GED this weekend. But she missed a presentation that she hopes to make up tomorrow, her caregiver told the judge. She also works at a Seattle Safeway store.
    The judge let her go, with some conditions, to Virginia Miller House, a facility "geared towards behavior modification of difficult to place teen girls ages 12-17," according to its website.
    "This is a good kid in a bad situation," said Virginia Miller House manager Ann Bredice, who identified herself in court. "It could be your kid. It could be your son, your daughter. Would you want the police hitting them?"
    The defense attorney for the girl, who was not videotaped being punched but physically restrained by the officer, got the judge's permission to photograph a bruise on her face, which appeared to be from the police incident.
    "If … they had an abrasion or scrape or whatever, oh well," O'Neill said. "They should have thought of that when they put their hands on the officer."
    The problem, he said, is not with the police, but with how youth deal with police officers.
    If you disagree, "you had your day in court," he said. "And if the officer treats you poorly, we have an accountability system that's multi-tiered, and you can make a complaint and that complaint will be addressed."
    The alleged violators declined medical aid at the scene, police said. O'Neill, who said he didn't consider a black eye severe, added there were no serious injuries.
    The recent video comes on the heels of an April incident in which a Seattle detective was caught on video stomping on a Latino man as he lay on the ground. The detective was heard telling the man he was "going to beat the (expletive) Mexican **** out of you, homey."
    Asked about how police would move forward with the community, O'Neill said there's always room for further education and dialogue. He noted that he and other police leaders had a meeting with El Centro de la Raza after the April videotaped incident.
    "I've never turned down an invitation to speak with any group -- I think good things happen when people are talking to each other," he said. "But it becomes difficult to continue to do that when you have people throwing out these incredible accusations of it's racism and it's this and it's that when they don't want to take any accountability to say why didn't the two individuals just comply?"
    The incident happened at Martin Luther King Jr. Way South near the arterial's intersection with Rainier Avenue South, in the vicinity of Franklin High School.
    A Seattle transportation department plan released in 2006 called for Seattle police pedestrian-safety patrols to target jaywalking, particularly near Franklin High and north of South McClellan Street by the Lowe's hardware store.
    Between 2002 and 2006 more jaywalkers were hit by vehicles on Rainier Avenue South than in any other corridor in the city.
    During that period, 61 pedestrians were struck while jaywalking on Rainier Avenue South -- nearly double the number of accidents on Aurora Avenue North, which had the second highest number of jaywalkers hit with 35, according to Seattle Transportation Department records.
    Also during that period, 23 other jaywalkers were hit in the South End, on Martin Luther King Jr. Way South and on Beacon Avenue South. Those roads also accounted for 126 pedestrian accidents at intersections.
    There were six jaywalking accidents on Aurora Avenue North in the several blocks south of North 125th Street between 2002 and 2006, tying that short stretch of roadway with Rainier Avenue South between South Hudson Street and 39th Avenue South for the highest number of jaywalking collisions in the city.
    Between 2006 and 2006, the State Department of Transportation launched the Washington State Corridor Safety Program.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    First thing first, anyone who disregards the direct order of a police officer, in the process of carrying out his duty, should be restrained. If that means a punch to the head, then so be it.

Now, it's amazing that so many tree huggers in Seattle have taken to bikes that traffic ticket revenue has decreased. I have not heard of anyone being issued a citation for J-walking in my life! Either way, the girls were wrong and IMO the officer should be backed by his department and community. Anything else sends the wrong message to our young people.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I gotta be honest. This guy is horrible with defensive tactics and cuffing procedures. That situation could have ended long ago if he would have remembered a little academy training. Great way to keep the up the public's bad perception of police. He fought with a stick of a girl for like 3 minutes without getting cuffs on or being on the ground. Looked like they were dancing. Someone is getting desk duty for awhile whether or not he actually gets reprimanded formally.

While I agree with you on all the points, the fact is this officer punched the girl. I am sure the news reports will say "WHITE" cop and "BLACK" girl. I don't care about the color of either, Black, White, Yellow, Brown or Red doesn't matter in either case.

The question the media is focusing on is did the officer go to far.

My answer to that is NO.

Push a cop and expect to get beaten down. Period.

The girl got what she deserved, doesn't matter if she is a girl, 'only 17' years old, doesn't matter what her color or what his color. She was aggressive and he punched her. She got what she deserved.

Now he should have had better tactics, but that is a whole different issue.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    While I agree with you on all the points, the fact is this officer punched the girl. I am sure the news reports will say "WHITE" cop and "BLACK" girl. I don't care about the color of either, Black, White, Yellow, Brown or Red doesn't matter in either case.

The question the media is focusing on is did the officer go to far.

My answer to that is NO.

Push a cop and expect to get beaten down. Period.

The girl got what she deserved, doesn't matter if she is a girl, 'only 17' years old, doesn't matter what her color or what his color. She was aggressive and he punched her. She got what she deserved.

Now he should have had better tactics, but that is a whole different issue.

He was scared/nervous for obvious reasons, which impaired his judgment and timing on the entire situation. The force continuum should have been followed much faster to defuse the situation. Im not mad at the guy for popping her. Just the time it took to get her in the car and inciting a small public episode.

Anyone that has ever had to cuff or restrain a small person knows they are the most figity fish out there and are usually the hardest to get cuffed, which means they are the first to get a knee in the back of their neck on the ground. Why draw it out. Like I said earlier he probably won't get reprimanded formally, but I guarantee you he sat at a desk for a week just to appease the local "ministers." That is about the norm for any video taped incidents whether the officer was right or wrong. I chuckled though when the article above said "Martin Luther King Blvd." Does every city in America have one of those? My hometown had two. lol.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    With a group that size and only one cop there is no way he would want to take her to the ground!! she is 17 that is considered an adult in America, and she entered into an adult fight with a police officer in the performance of his duty, I thought he used great restraint, + 1 for the officer!!

Going to the ground outnumbered is never good, but it looked like that group had plenty of opportunity to attack him and never did. Someone else mentioned the people taping the incident, I think that may have been his reason for not taking her down. The last thing he needs is to be slamming a girl to the ground, but he did punch one in the face so maybe he didn't care...

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    People act like wild animals and just think they can do whatever the he!! they think they can and then get upset when someone tries to do something?

Looks like resisting arrest and assault to me. I'd say she was lucky she only got hit once, acting like that!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I can see where restraining a little person would be very hard, because you're trying to subdue them and not break them at the same time.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    With a group that size and only one cop there is no way he would want to take her to the ground!! she is 17 that is considered an adult in America, and she entered into an adult fight with a police officer in the performance of his duty, I thought he used great restraint, + 1 for the officer!!

Agreed.

They both got what they deserved...A trip to jail.

laalbert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Yes, bad conduct and too long on the cuffing, but the females were resisting. People always start filming AFTER the crime to see the "police misconduct/brutality"

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    I can see where restraining a little person would be very hard, because you're trying to subdue them and not break them at the same time.

Law enforcement training in such techniques is very good, despite this instance of the officer's lack of such.

So long as he stays within the force continuum and utilizes those techniques that he is so trained, the person may experience some pain, but should not be otherwise injured.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    They were discussing this on the Jason Ellis show yesterday. (And yes I know that probably isn't the best source for my news information.) One of the callers claimed to be an officer from up around that area. He said that on one of the video tapes a person in the crowd can be heard yelling "let's slice that cop" right before he hits her. Don't know if that's true or not but there may be more to why he chose a punch over a takedown.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    What a man, that will show them!

in this instance the fact that she was a woman had no bearing. she wants to fight a man, like a man, then she can get hit like a man. 2 on 1, i think her getting popped in the mouth was better than what he could have done to her if he wanted too. if i would have been there as a citizen, i would have jumped in and helped the officer out instead of gawking like a fool. if i see a cop in need i will always help them.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    DO IT HARD, DO IT FAST, DO IT ONCE!The officer needs to work on tactics. The faster your in control of the situation the better is looks for everyone.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Police guild: Officer did nothing wrong in videotaped punch

Intersection known for jaywalking problem, records show

By CASEY MCNERTHNEY
    SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

"They were not going to comply in any way."
    About 3:10 p.m. Monday, Officer Ian Walsh saw several people unlawfully cross Martin Luther King Jr. Way South near the arterial's intersection with Rainier Avenue South, according to another officer's incident report.

i think the above highlighted street explains why this ever happened in the first place.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The full video just started working for me...Wow, that cop showed all different kinds of restraint.

Had that been me, I'd have hip tossed that dumb b**** face first into the pavement for resisting like that.

At least the fat one in the pink shirt was kind enough to wait around to be arrested.:laugh:

She must have been thinking lawsuit because she got punched.

Top Bottom