• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    See, that's what I'm talking about. And remember, millionaires, billionaires, they make way more money than I'll ever hope to see in my lifetime, and in my opinion can afford to pay more than someone who makes say $35k a year.

And thank you to Roadie for answering my question. To answer your question, if I asked five different people what they considered a reasonable tax rate I'd probably get ten different answers. Some people might say 35%, others 20%, and others 40%. Ideally, smart, qualified, and competent individuals (obviously not Congress) would make this decision. Unfortunately however we don't live in a perfect world, which would also be different depending on your definition of "perfect world."

So regardless of what we spend, we should just tax everyone fully to the extent of what they can afford. Because that is the logical conclusion of what you're saying.

Is every penny the government spends justified? Should we take money from people who earn it and give it to people who don't? Should we borrow from our posterity to pay for all that, since the increased tax still wouldn't pay for it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After doing some reading about Roberts decision on this I "think" I am beginning to understand his stance on it.

None of us want judges legislating from the bench so didn't Roberts just take a stance stating, the legislative branch passed this law, we will NOT write/rewrite the law and since it IS law THIS is how it must be implemented? You cannot have a mandate, you must call it what it is, a tax. If it is in fact a tax/tax increase you (Congress) must base it on that AND if it isn't acceptable, YOU (Congress) must make the necessary changes.

Didn't one Justice in fact ask the government lawyer arguing for Obama "what do you want us to do, write the law for you"?

All that being said, I hope Obamacare is repealed, and I am disappointed it wasn't overturned but to me the majority decision is beginning to at least make some sense.

Am I totally wrong on my take on this?

I think this is how it went down. They exposed the lie of Obammy saying it was not a tax, repeatedly, over and over. They exposed the truth in it and this will be the undoing of it.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    403912_10151006460064872_940786824_n.jpg

I like Kirk's idea of passing a law requiring everyone to buy a firearm and bible or pay a tax. That would certainly bring everyone into the fold.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    You consider someone that makes over $330,000/year "Middle class"?

I do. Lots of small business people make money in that range and higher and they are solidly in the middle class. Many middle class couples pull down that, or more and they're middle class.

The top 1% make $350,000/ year. Income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kind of hard to call that middle class.

However, I think the real difference is between the wealthy and non-wealthy. The $350k a year guy is like the middle manager who thinks he indisposable but is really just another disposable employee. He is not all that different from the middle class. He likely has nicer toys and a few less worries but would be in trouble if he lost his job.

Wealthy people generally can't spend money faster than the interest they earn and generally make the vast majority from interest on wealth and or assets. They may have zero income taxed at the income tax rate.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Back to the ACA, are the people on this site who are against it, do you oppose the ACA in its entirety, or are you only opposed to the individual mandate?

It's bad law because it dictates all sorts of behaviors that are not supported by Congress' Constitutional authority, it requires individuals to enter into contracts for one thing. It also gives 'way too much authority to the Executive Branch to decide how the law will be interpreted and enforced. And it's a camel-nose-under-the-tent to dictating how we will live our lives. It should never have been passed (and wouldn't have been if its sponsors had been honest with the rest of Congress and the Public) and should be repealed in its entirety.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    The top 1% make $350,000/ year. Income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kind of hard to call that middle class.

However, I think the real difference is between the wealthy and non-wealthy. The $350k a year guy is like the middle manager who thinks he indisposable but is really just another disposable employee. He is not all that different from the middle class. He likely has nicer toys and a few less worries but would be in trouble if he lost his job.

Wealthy people generally can't spend money faster than the interest they earn and generally make the vast majority from interest on wealth and or assets. They may have zero income taxed at the income tax rate.

Be careful sighting wikipedia, not all the information on their is 100% accurate. But what would you define as middle class?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I think this is how it went down. They exposed the lie of Obammy saying it was not a tax, repeatedly, over and over. They exposed the truth in it and this will be the undoing of it.

Exactly what I was thinking, thru his decision he did expose it for what it is and refused to legislate from the bench, telling Congress "that's YOUR job to fix if it needs fixed, but it will NOT be done by the Judicial Branch".

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I think most people on this board are over-reacting. Ron Paul and Romney are okay with a health care mandate so long as the state passes it. What's the difference?

OMG! The state makes me buy car insurance!

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    It's bad law because it dictates all sorts of behaviors that are not supported by Congress' Constitutional authority, it requires individuals to enter into contracts for one thing. It also gives 'way too much authority to the Executive Branch to decide how the law will be interpreted and enforced. And it's a camel-nose-under-the-tent to dictating how we will live our lives. It should never have been passed (and wouldn't have been if its sponsors had been honest with the rest of Congress and the Public) and should be repealed in its entirety.

My big problem with it is that it requires me to purchase a product that I may or may not want. And I think it starts a dangerous precedent. I mean, are they going to start passing laws saying things like "buy one Denny's weekly specials or pay a penalty!"....................Ok, that was a ridiculous example but you get my point right? The government shouldn't be requiring people to buy a product or service in exchange for a tax break.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    How about this gem (thanks to LRC)?

"The Affordable Care Act describes the payment as a 'penalty,' not a 'tax.' That label cannot control whether the payment is a tax for purposes of the Constitution, but it does determine the application of the Anti-Injunction Act. The Anti-Injunction Act therefore does not bar this suit."

Translation: It's not a tax so we can get away with taking the case...now that we have the case, it is a tax so we can uphold it.

Thank G_d we had a Republican in office to appoint this asshat...just imagine how a Kerry appointee might have voted...oh...wait.

Someday people will wake up. Until then, liberty will continue to be eroded at an ever-accelerating rate.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace

But they already paid taxes on the money they earned before they invested it and made the interest/return on it.:dunno: How many times must money earned be taxed?:dunno:

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I think most people on this board are over-reacting. Ron Paul and Romney are okay with a health care mandate so long as the state passes it. What's the difference?

OMG! The state makes me buy car insurance!

I agree with you 100%! I think alot of people, some of whom are very good friends of mine, are overreacting about this. It's not the end of the world, the Earth is still spinning, the suns still shining, and in November or possibly 2016 depending on what happens, they'll be an entirely new man or woman sitting in the Oval Office that everyone can hate and complain about. And wasn't it Romney who essentially created "Obamacare" when he was the Governor of Massachussettes? (Is that how you spell it?)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'd be careful bragging about my education, if I didn't know the difference between "sighting" and "citing".

Or "too" and "to".

I think the most telling quote was the disdain for research and the longing to see it end forever.

If you don't research for yourself, you become nothing more than a bucket catching the :poop: spewed by the MSM.

Which reminds me of this...

http://youtu.be/1V_0k7DZt-o

Obama already knows..."It's good to be the king."

Top Bottom