SC officer charged with murder in man's death. Video catches him plant evidence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Media is running with this

https://twitter.com/sallykohn/status/585787519360446464

Creating words, and putting them in Conservative mouths... apparently the cop was totally in the right. (Except no one is saying this)

I'm pretty sure you're already well versed on the uber-nasty and political bomb-thrower that is Sally Kohn, but it bears mention that this hag is not worth the ones and zeros loaded with venom that she spews.
    Expanding upon your point, do you think the media and the other racial provocateurs will credit conservatives for being almost universally in agreement that this was a bad shoot?
    Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

[...]Finally, what happened to "shoot to wound" instead of "shoot to kill" (other than the obvious answer of, "Dead men don't testify.")? Yes, I realize stress and adrenaline are factors in such situations, and that many people are taught to aim for center-of-mass, but does that preclude a warning shot to a fleeing suspect?

Shoot to wound?
    Warning shots?
    I hate to sound condescending here, but that's so much Hollyweird myth.
    It doesn't apply to a bad shoot, as is obvious here, but it's hard enough to hit a moving, hostile target at all, let alone aim for some magical area that will somehow cause a non-lethal wound (another myth) while at the same time making a perp drop instantly.
    It's totally fanciful, courtesy of the same crowd that films ordinary copper jacketed lead core bullets sparking when they strike a hard surface, 1000 rounds fired without a reload from an Uzi, and the famous (and idiotic) tanker trunk explosion scene in "Thelma and Louise."
    And, as already mentioned by someone else, "warning shots" have to go somewhere, maybe just into a tree trunk, or maybe into some innocent bystander a half mile away.
    Don't believe the myth.

Ok. So I'm asking in this particular case do you or T. Lex believe that white jurors will let this go because they are white?

An even better question would be why the unanimous opinion right here on INGO that this looks like a bad shoot wouldn't likely correspond to the jurors in SC where this happened, be they white or black?
    It's as if people still think this is the Jim Crow South, and that we haven't progressed even slightly since 1964.
    Rubbish, all of it, and the sort of crap peddled by fools and those with an agenda to perpetuate.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok. So I'm asking in this particular case do you or T. Lex believe that white jurors will let this go because they are white?

Juries are fickle beasts. Anyone who says they can predict what a jury will do is a liar or a jury consultant (often the same).

South Carolina. Black victim. White officer. This ought not shock anyone, but this trial will inevitably have racial dimensions - either explicit or implicit.

In my experience, a juror of the same race as the defendant is more likely to be the reason for a hung jury than not. That's not even really an opinion - more like an observation.

And let's try to eliminate any misunderstanding. I am not saying that a white jury would acquit. I am not saying that a black jury would convict.

What I am saying is that if the lawyers back the jury (of whatever racial composition) into a corner with an all-or-nothing strategy, the result may be REALLY bad.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Last edited:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I haven't read through all 15 pages... just going to offer my opinion for what its worth.

I am 50 years old, my dad was a cop back in the 70's, I know he would never have shot someone in the back running away unless there was a weapon in that person's hands. Back in his day, running from a cop meant you got chased down and a few extra punches or taps with the old slapjack may be "necessary" to convince you of the error of your ways. Maybe a little clumsiness getting helped into and out of the squad car. But not 8 shots in the back.

The cop was 33 years old. I know any cop that is in his 30's should be ashamed if he could not chase down a pudgy 50 year old. He should have had a PR-24 or expandable baton, quick rap to the side of the knee would have ended that chase in about 10 seconds after he caught up to him. The guy was pulled over for a busted tail light and ran because he was behind on child support payments. Busted tail light, really? What a bull**** reason to pull someone over unless you are fishing for a reason to make an arrest. Running because you are behind on child support, okay he was a piece of crap there, but not John Dillinger...

Then 8 shots to the back after a little tussle? I don't know about cops nowdays, but I went through a hell of a lot worse in basic (and that was the Air Force, nothing too strenuous there...) and dad came home black and blue from re-current training a time or two when they introduced the new PR-24's. Even after he retired, he never let me forget who could take down who... I miss the old fart.

It is my gut feeling it was not racial, I don't think the guy had it out to kill some black guy, but he was pissed that he was not shown proper respect of his authority and took it way to far. I saw the interview with the kid who made the video. He must have trouble walking with balls that big. If he had been seen after that throwdown was dropped, he very well could have been next. That little nonchalant drop right there told me the cop knew he was in the wrong and was starting the cover up. His statements afterwards matched nothing from the video. If I were sitting in jail from one of his cases, I would be on the phone to my lawyer to get his testimony thrown out and a new case. I would have a hard time believing anything he said on the stand now.

Rant over... feel free to pick it apart.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    His brother says "Walter Scott will change the course of this country"

Brother: Walter Scott will change this country - CNN Video

Guys, don't you know, this is 100% absolutely about racism in America. Nothing else.

Also, apparently the cop had a previous complaint in 2013

Officer charged in murder received earlier complaint - CNN Video

Previous complaints are often meaningless. I've had multiple complaints over the years. None were sustained because they either weren't true or were within policy.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Is the video admissible?

can a defense attourney get it thrown out?

change of venue? How are you going to find 12 people that have not seen that video?

I'm thinking that this has plea deal written all over it

manslaughter

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Watched this on the news tonight for first time…wow. Shooting, planting evidence or something, lying, then other police say they tried CPR when they got there but the video says and shows they didn't even try to…..this whole dept. is in dutch. They said if convicted could face death penalty. Whats my take…..

1. Good cops want this guy in jail.
    2. Prosecuter wants this guys hide.
    3. A all white jury will still find him guilty in less than 15 minutes.
    4. 30 years to life….personally I wouldn't have a problem with the death penalty.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Let's not make this another Zimmerman situation. Using that word a bit early.

Also, sort of how I described earlier, looks like he wanted anonymity, feared retribution

Man who took video of South Carolina police shooting feared retribution
    I am unclear why you think this isn't murder under SC law? The apparent immediate evidence tampering points strongly against a reckless/manslaughter result.

eta: I was replying to the earlier version of your post saying that murder was unlikely. Apparently an edit happened in the interim.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Let's not make this another Zimmerman situation. Using that word a bit early.

Also, sort of how I described earlier, looks like he wanted anonymity, feared retribution

Man who took video of South Carolina police shooting feared retribution
    I myself brought up Zimmerman ONLY to remind those that wanted a vigilante hanging based on the story from CNN. IT sounded like it was a cut and dry case ACCORDING TO THE MEDIA.
    I don't have all the facts and neither do any of you as far as I know. IF YOU DO HAVE ALL THE FACTS PLEASE SHARE THEM SO WE CAN GIVE HIM A FAIR TRIAL FOLLOWED BY A FIRST CLASS LYNCHING.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Watched this on the news tonight for first time…wow. Shooting, planting evidence or something, lying, then other police say they tried CPR when they got there but the video says and shows they didn't even try to…..this whole dept. is in dutch. They said if convicted could face death penalty. Whats my take…..

1. Good cops want this guy in jail.
    2. Prosecuter wants this guys hide.
    3. A all white jury will still find him guilty in less than 15 minutes.
    4. 30 years to life….personally I wouldn't have a problem with the death penalty.

I'd have issue with the death penalty, as I do not think it was this officers intent, the entire time, to kill the victim. Lengthy jail sentence? Yes. Death penalty? No.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I myself brought up Zimmerman ONLY to remind those that wanted a vigilante hanging based on the story from CNN. IT sounded like it was a cut and dry case ACCORDING TO THE MEDIA.
    I don't have all the facts and neither do any of you as far as I know. IF YOU DO HAVE ALL THE FACTS PLEASE SHARE THEM SO WE CAN GIVE HIM A FAIR TRIAL FOLLOWED BY A FIRST CLASS LYNCHING.

nobody saw the Zimmerman altercation. Millions have seen this vid. There's absolutely no comparison.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    nobody saw the Zimmerman altercation. Millions have seen this vid. There's absolutely no comparison.
    The guy that took the video himself said he didn't start filming until after things started.
    I don't believe the cop is innocent. OR GUILTY until everything comes out. That was the principal our founding fathers had in mind. "Innocent until proven guilty". I think I read that here on INGO

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The guy that took the video himself said he didn't start filming until after things started.
    I don't believe the cop is innocent. OR GUILTY until everything comes out. That was the principal our founding fathers had in mind. "Innocent until proven guilty". I think I read that here on INGO

True, but there are very specific circumstances in which you can shoot a fleeing felon. This does not appear to qualify.

Top Bottom