SC officer charged with murder in man's death. Video catches him plant evidence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    This thread just solidifies my belief that he will only get a slap on the wrist, if anything. He'll probably be home before his kid is potty trained. There are many who will believe the officer was "wrong" but the dead guy was "wronger" for having the audacity to be driving a Mercedes while owing child support, not to mention that he ran!

You're also ignoring what's obviously being said. Look up murder vs manslaughter.

Also, do I need to quote everyone who's said it wasn't a good shoot and who agrees the officer would be punished?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It is a sad situation of the victim blaming, again. There is a chance since the officer manipulated the seen on video, the prosecutor's have a lot to work with.

Very much like social media, people on juries go with what they feel and believe. The facts do not mean very much when you have someone of ill repute who rubs their moral beliefs the wrong way. They may give the officer a pass since he chased him once, but we shall see.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    The cliffs. Got a call about people acting suspicious in a neighborhood. I respond, and find agents doing a secret squirrel trash pull. The identify themselves as FBI, but NONE of them had their badges, I corral them, but ONE them doesn't getit , and is insistent on retrieving their badge from their truck. I tell her "no" (it was a chick), and to wait until another officer arrives. Chick ignores me, put her hand on the handle to open the back door, and I draw down on her, prone her out, and keep everybody in place until the other officer arrives. They complained, and the Chief told them to pound sand.

!!! Holy crap! YSYEO Likes this....... (for some antisocial reason) Thanks kut, for sharing. For the rest of the evening you are my INGO hero.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    The cliffs. Got a call about people acting suspicious in a neighborhood. I respond, and find agents doing a secret squirrel trash pull. The identify themselves as FBI, but NONE of them had their badges, I corral them, but ONE them doesn't getit , and is insistent on retrieving their badge from their truck. I tell her "no" (it was a chick), and to wait until another officer arrives. Chick ignores me, put her hand on the handle to open the back door, and I draw down on her, prone her out, and keep everybody in place until the other officer arrives. They complained, and the Chief told them to pound sand.

Thank you for the update. I thought FBI carries ID, not a badge?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's not about judging him. It's about why he was pulled over, why he had a bench warrant, why there was a struggle and why whatever else happened that contributed to his death. Elimination of just one of those factors would've most likely changed the outcome of this story.

These are the things that won't bring a murder conviction.

You're also ignoring what's obviously being said. Look up murder vs manslaughter.

Well, I'm thinking the two of us are in agreement, but I may be wrong. I'm believing people will look at his actions more than the officer's. I'm not saying that anyone said it was a good shoot, but I do believe there is the possibility that some who will play a role in this case may see the actions of Mr. Scott as the cause for the officer's action.

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Well, I'm thinking the two of us are in agreement, but I may be wrong. I'm believing people will look at his actions more than the officer's. I'm not saying that anyone said it was a good shoot, but I do believe there is the possibility that some who will play a role in this case may see the actions of Mr. Scott as the cause for the officer's action.

Which is why it isn't going to be murder. There's no way this officer walks free. INGO LEO's are stating that from their expertise.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Which is why it isn't going to be murder. There's no way this officer walks free. INGO LEO's are stating that from their expertise.

I certainly do not discount the expertise of our officers, but looking at murder vs manslaughter and the subcategories of each, how does the state of mind for the victim play into this? I'm asking just in case it is the dead guy's state of mind you were referring to up-thread. If we are talking about the state of mind of the officer, how would his belief that Scott was driving the wrong car, owed child support, etc., help to achieve a manslaughter conviction?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This part is true.

Shhhh!

This thread just solidifies my belief that he will only get a slap on the wrist, if anything. He'll probably be home before his kid is potty trained. There are many who will believe the officer was "wrong" but the dead guy was "wronger" for having the audacity to be driving a Mercedes while owing child support, not to mention that he ran!

I'm not seeing that. I see people who are compiling contributing factors. I've yet to see anyone indicate the victim was "wronger". Saying "if he had not fled this probably wouldn't have happened" is a simple fact. Is the initial stop not pretty routine? Not one person that I've seen has indicated in anyway that makes him "wronger" or that he deserved it or any of that. He DID play a role in the outcome. That does NOT eliminate the officer being completely wrong.

I know a fellow who used to be the onsite legal adviser for King's Island. He was working the day the bus that would eventually crash in Carrollton, Ky came to King's Island. He knew the security personnel who worked the parking lots. That sets up the following story, which he often uses to show "cause" vs "fault."

"Bob" the security guy was one of the most efficient traffic controllers they had. When Bob ran the show, the parking lot cleared out a solid 10-15 minutes faster than if the youngsters and Summer time temps ran the show. Bob was working the day the Carrollton bus was at King's Island. Bob's efficiency got the bus out earlier than it would have if anyone else was directing the traffic patterns. That bus reached a certain point in Carrollton KY at 10:55PM. A drunk driver, Larry Mahoney, was driving on the wrong side of the road, struck the bus, and as a result 27 passengers died on that bus. Was Bob and his efficiency a cause for the crash? Absolutely. If the bus was delayed 10 minutes, it would not have been at that spot for Mahoney to strike it at 10:55PM. Is Bob at fault? OF COURSE NOT. Larry Mahoney is. No rational human, and no court, would say Bob has any culpability in that tragedy.

Sometimes I feel like we're talking past each other. It is not blaming the victim, nor excusing the perpetrator, to discuss the causes that led up to the tragedy be it a shooting or a bus crash.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I certainly do not discount the expertise of our officers, but looking at murder vs manslaughter and the subcategories of each, how does the state of mind for the victim play into this? I'm asking just in case it is the dead guy's state of mind you were referring to up-thread. If we are talking about the state of mind of the officer, how would his belief that Scott was driving the wrong car, owed child support, etc., help to achieve a manslaughter conviction?

I made those points to show this guy wasn't just pulled over and murdered. He had a warrant, witness says there was a struggle, possible that more happened and a taser was grabbed. The officer could've easily been caught in the moment that was only a few seconds and killed out of anger without thinking.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I made those points to show this guy wasn't just pulled over and murdered. He had a warrant, witness says there was a struggle, possible that more happened and a taser was grabbed. The officer could've easily been caught in the moment that was only a few seconds and killed out of anger without thinking.

No doubt. Good points that I didn't get from previous posts. Thanks for walking me through it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Shhhh!

I'm not seeing that. I see people who are compiling contributing factors. I've yet to see anyone indicate the victim was "wronger". Saying "if he had not fled this probably wouldn't have happened" is a simple fact. Is the initial stop not pretty routine? Not one person that I've seen has indicated in anyway that makes him "wronger" or that he deserved it or any of that. He DID play a role in the outcome. That does NOT eliminate the officer being completely wrong.

I know a fellow who used to be the onsite legal adviser for King's Island. He was working the day the bus that would eventually crash in Carrollton, Ky came to King's Island. He knew the security personnel who worked the parking lots. That sets up the following story, which he often uses to show "cause" vs "fault."

"Bob" the security guy was one of the most efficient traffic controllers they had. When Bob ran the show, the parking lot cleared out a solid 10-15 minutes faster than if the youngsters and Summer time temps ran the show. Bob was working the day the Carrollton bus was at King's Island. Bob's efficiency got the bus out earlier than it would have if anyone else was directing the traffic patterns. That bus reached a certain point in Carrollton KY at 10:55PM. A drunk driver, Larry Mahoney, was driving on the wrong side of the road, struck the bus, and as a result 27 passengers died on that bus. Was Bob and his efficiency a cause for the crash? Absolutely. If the bus was delayed 10 minutes, it would not have been at that spot for Mahoney to strike it at 10:55PM. Is Bob at fault? OF COURSE NOT. Larry Mahoney is. No rational human, and no court, would say Bob has any culpability in that tragedy.

Sometimes I feel like we're talking past each other. It is not blaming the victim, nor excusing the perpetrator, to discuss the causes that led up to the tragedy be it a shooting or a bus crash.

No kissing up here, but that long post said all that needed to be said.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    No doubt. Good points that I didn't get from previous posts. Thanks for walking me through it.

I sure hope he doesnt get caught up in the moment and decide to shoot someone in the back 8 times as when you don't have a badge it is called murder and you go to jail, caught up in the moment or not...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I sure hope he doesnt get caught up in the moment and decide to shoot someone in the back 8 times as when you don't have a badge it is called murder and you go to jail, caught up in the moment or not...

I thought the SC officer did go to jail, and is being charged with murder?

Top Bottom