SC officer charged with murder in man's death. Video catches him plant evidence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Malice aforethought is kinda like premeditation but not truly the same. I'm not familiar enough with SC law to try to explain the difference.

Also, as SC appears to be a true grand jury case, I don't know that it is accurate that he has been charged with murder. It seems more likely that the prosecutor is asking for an indictment for murder.

I have a hard time seeing this as other than murder, but I agree it could result in a manslaughter conviction.

Me too. The one thing that seems clear from the video is that the officer knew the man was not in a position to harm him when he aimed and fired his weapon. The only thing that I guess would be open to argument is whether or not the officer intended to kill the man. I always have trouble when an application of definition depends on a person's thoughts or intentions. In all but the most extreme cases, you really can't be absolutely sure of a person's intentions.

I would have a hard time believing that the question of whether or not it constitutes murder if a police officer shoots and kills a fleeing, unarmed (and not apparently dangerous) suspect hasn't been well settled by precedent.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Please don't tell me this was done so he can have more money for his soccer stadium

I have no idea why he did it. The only thing I can tell you is that the slogan "Public safety is job one" was a flat out lie. Apparently spending $4,700,000.00 to improve the police department is irresponsible but $6,000,000.00 for a CRICKET field makes sense and giving $17,800,000.00 and some of the most valuable land in Marion County to a developer so they can build a private apartment building is fiscally responsible.

Sure seems legit to me.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Me too. The one thing that seems clear from the video is that the officer knew the man was not in a position to harm him when he aimed and fired his weapon. The only thing that I guess would be open to argument is whether or not the officer intended to kill the man. I always have trouble when an application of definition depends on a person's thoughts or intentions. In all but the most extreme cases, you really can't be absolutely sure of a person's intentions.

I would have a hard time believing that the question of whether or not it constitutes murder if a police officer shoots and kills a fleeing, unarmed (and not apparently dangerous) suspect hasn't been well settled by precedent.

Whether or not evidence like this is sufficient to sustain a conviction for murder has probably been decided, but that only decides whether or not a jury can legally convict. It in no way implies that they must.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Here's a scorching hot take.

Bring the burn cream.

Geraldo: Dashcam Video Gets Officer Slager Off His Murder Charge | Mediaite

Worst thing? He's probably right.

I don't buy it. Slager didn't shoot Scott while they were on the ground, struggling. If he had shot him then, then we're having a different discussion, and such a shoot would likely have been justified. But that's not what happened. Scott got himself out of that struggle, got up, and started running away. Once he did that, even if considered a "fleeing felon", there was absolutely no probable cause that he posed an immediate threat to the officer or to anyone else.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yes, the system can fail, as it certainly does all too often, but I still believe the average person has two eyes, two ears, and a conscience.
    There may be more details to come that either mitigate or aggravate this shoot, but the average Joe and average Joanna see this for what it is, and wants justice served, whatever that may be and whatever course that may take.
    If that justice winds up impeded in any way, make book on it that it wil be the mouthpieces and the lawyers in black robes who will be the ones who caused it, not the people deciding the case.

Okay, we will just have to wait and see, right? He may serve some time, but I'm pretty sure he may be home to see his child off for his/her first day of school.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Whether or not evidence like this is sufficient to sustain a conviction for murder has probably been decided, but that only decides whether or not a jury can legally convict. It in no way implies that they must.

I agree. I was thinking in terms of the charge being made more than whether a conviction would be certain. It just seemed like the murder charge came pretty quickly after the video was released.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I gave up an hour of my life watching Geraldo's opening of Al Capone's vault and I haven't trusted him on anything since.

The thing that's so bad about him is that, no matter what he's talking about, you just know he would prefer to make it entirely about him.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, gee, reading incomprehension much?
    Do I need a notarized statement to make the point that this was a bad shoot in order for you to believe me?
    You just can't take yes for an answer.
    Get the chip off of your shoulder for five minutes and actually take my words at face value, for God's sake.

I don't think you're following posts very well. Or maybe you don't know what is being discussed. So how about you explain how a driving a Mercedes or owing child support explains the victim's "state of mind." You can post up you "psyche" credentials too while you're at it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't think you're following posts very well. Or maybe you don't know what is being discussed. So how about you explain how a driving a Mercedes or owing child support explains the victim's "state of mind." You can post up you "psyche" credentials too while you're at it.

I don't think I misunderstood it one bit when you accused me of saying (or thinking, speaking of "psyche credentials") that Mr. Scott deserved to be shot.
    Go ahead and try to spin your way out of that one, too, or (what you tend to prefer) continue to stir the s*#t pot.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't think I misunderstood it one bit when you accused me of saying (or thinking, speaking of "psyche credentials") that Mr. Scott deserved to be shot.
    Go ahead and try to spin your way out of that one, too, or (what you tend to prefer) continue to stir the s*#t pot.

Like I said, you're not following posts very well. How about you quote the post where I "accused you of saying.... that Mr. Scott deserved to be shot." And I suggest you keep your tone civil. You're a grown man, act like one.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Like I said, you're not following posts very well. How about you quote the post where I "accused you of saying.... that Mr. Scott deserved to be shot." And I suggest you keep your tone civil. You're a grown man, act like one.

Don't lecture me.
    It was YOU who said he "didn't deserve a death sentence" in reply to my own post where (well, Shazam!) I wrote the same thing.
    Also, when I mention state of mind, did it ever occur to that kneejerk (or jerk) reaction of yours that I'm talking about him being in a flight rather than a fight state of mind?
    You're too busy looking for boogeymen where they're not.
    Now, grow up yourself.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I heard an FBI agent (former state police) on fox news the other morning saying every time the FBI sends agents out into the field (serve warrant, surveillance, etc) they have a meeting where the rules of engagement are discussed and laid out. He said police officers get this briefing once in their career, during their time at the academy. He thinks this is something that should be a part of daily briefings. Not sure I agree with that, nor feel it would do much good. After awhile it would become mindless background noise. But I think he makes a valid point about the rules of engagement.. you have way more contact and potential for violent encounters on a day to day basis then an FBI agent does. yet they are briefed EVERYTIME they go out to enforce an action. Something to consider...
    FBI are good folks but they are office workers with guns. Officer safety is not something they are well versed in. They are good investigators but are certainly not used to getting their hands dirty in the streets. I'm not sure what changed in the ROE that requires them to be briefed daily. The USSC has made our ROE very clear. We are confronted by our ROE on a daily basis.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Watched the video and I was outraged and sickened!!! No excuse! No excuse! No excuse!!
    murderer!
    seems to me like the cop got butt hurt he got his taser taken and he was gonna do whatever it took to teach this lowly citizen a lesson (not my words just trying to get In his head)
    like an 'ILL SHOW YOU' moment!
    Rot in hell
    What I find most disturbing is the officer's reaction AFTER the shooting.....cool and calm...too calm. Some reaction from an Adrenaline dump is normal. I saw nothing. He calmly raised his pistol and fired and showed no reaction afterwards.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Hey kut, I would suggest you Strenuously Object about his tone a few times and then Report him to his 3rd grade teacher and have it put on his Permanent Record.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    This is a Reminder that Personal Insults are not tolerated on INGO.

Even if someone "deserves" it, we're not going to tolerate personal attacks and namecalling, partially because stuff like this happens, but also because it's a cruel and uncivilized thing to do in the first place.

This is the one and only warning.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Cause in America we self divide and identify on many, many, ways

As further followup, here are some police involved shootings that have happened since. In each incident a suspect, an officer, or both, were shot. Note that the absence of race in the headlines or in the stories. Note the incident of the contractor security guard being murdered, no mention of race. Again, can't be the ONLY reason this incident has been reported with so much emphasis on race.

Authorities: Sword-wielding man shot, killed after attacking deputy - Orlando Sentinel

Pursuit ends with gunman dead, hostage injured

Guard Dead After Shooting at U.S. Census Bureau Headquarters | NBC4 Washington

Anne Arundel officer remains in critical condition after being shot; police searching for armed gunman - Baltimore Sun

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Don't lecture me.
    It was YOU who said he "didn't deserve a death sentence" in reply to my own post where (well, Shazam!) I wrote the same thing.
    Also, when I mention state of mind, did it ever occur to that kneejerk (or jerk) reaction of yours that I'm talking about him being in a flight rather than a fight state of mind?
    You're too busy looking for boogeymen where they're not.
    Now, grow up yourself.

Didn't deserve a death sentence = accusing someone of saying that person deserves to be shot? Yeah, not on this planet. Nor did you even post the full quote, which if you had been keeping up was directed towards another member, who made reference to Mr. Scott's vehicle and his child support issue. Don't con me, and keep your tongue civil. As long as you use profanity in addressing me, I feel I am more that justified in lecturing you.

Top Bottom