SC officer charged with murder in man's death. Video catches him plant evidence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I heard an FBI agent (former state police) on fox news the other morning saying every time the FBI sends agents out into the field (serve warrant, surveillance, etc) they have a meeting where the rules of engagement are discussed and laid out. He said police officers get this briefing once in their career, during their time at the academy. He thinks this is something that should be a part of daily briefings. Not sure I agree with that, nor feel it would do much good. After awhile it would become mindless background noise. But I think he makes a valid point about the rules of engagement.. you have way more contact and potential for violent encounters on a day to day basis then an FBI agent does. yet they are briefed EVERYTIME they go out to enforce an action. Something to consider...

Honestly, it not the "how" it's done, its the "who" is doing it. Sure sometimes good officers mess up, and there are tragic consequences, however most the time, it's guys who shouldn't be in the profession in the first place.

And having been a guy who almost had to shoot an FBI agent due to their incompetence, in the field, the only advice from them I'm ever willing to listen to, are those who have previously worked in LE.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I don't know. Personally, I have a hard time "judging" how someone processes their grief - especially under particularly tragic circumstances. Have experienced enough of it, and among family members and friends, and seen people I know, respect, and love deal with things in ways that I'm not comfortable with, that as long as their not endangering themselves or others, I think its better to just let them sort it out.

The brother seems to have a really good head about things. Perhaps he will try to leverage the tragedy into achieving some greater good, and wanted to do something to absolutely ingrain what happened. He could become an effective advocate for change.
    Read the next line in the post (don't pull a Kut on me)

I don't know him, family or victim.
    Can't and wont try and attribute motive to his actions
    Myself, I would be holding my brother, maybe CPR, maybe cussing out the cop.

I think society has made an adjustment

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Honestly, it not the "how" it's done, its the "who" is doing it. Sure sometimes good officers mess up, and there are tragic consequences, however most the time, it's guys who shouldn't be in the profession in the first place.

And having been a guy who almost had to shoot an FBI agent due to their incompetence, in the field, the only advice from them I'm ever willing to listen to, are those who have previously worked in LE.

Fair enough. This one was a former state police officer and they indicated he was an expert on the SWAT tactics. So this isn't a rookie agent. I know one agent that is fresh off the farm. The selection process is excruciating.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008

Kut......Kut......Dude....

thats twice today that I agree with you.
    The world may end.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I don't know him, family or victim.
    Can't and wont try and attribute motive to his actions
    Myself, I would be holding my brother, maybe CPR, maybe cussing out the cop.

I think society has made an adjustment

Yeah, good luck with trying to contaminate the crime scene. Stick to cussing, and you'll avoid an involuntary stay at the Gray Bar Hotel.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

I can neither confirm nor deny that he can fit in my pocket. ;) :D

I hope society has adjusted to allow people some space to figure out what is right for them. Obviously, if he had been interfering with something, that's a problem. But, if he was off to the side, doing his thing - whatever it was - the police should have left him alone at least (or offered condolences at best). (As you did.)

As Mr. J pointed out, too many LEOs don't understand the camera-laden world we live in now.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Yeah, good luck with trying to contaminate the crime scene. Stick to cussing, and you'll avoid an involuntary stay at the Gray Bar Hotel.
    thats a good point, I didn't think of that.
    (not that I'm agreeing with you, just out of principle)

where is the line on controlling the scene?
    and is it compromised by first aid, medics, dropping a Tazer?

(ok, not the Tazer part)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Watched the video and I was outraged and sickened!!! No excuse! No excuse! No excuse!!
    murderer!
    seems to me like the cop got butt hurt he got his taser taken and he was gonna do whatever it took to teach this lowly citizen a lesson (not my words just trying to get In his head)
    like an 'ILL SHOW YOU' moment!
    Rot in hell

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Question: doesn't Murder have to be pre-meditated? Or would manslaughter be the more appropriate charge in this situation?

SECTION 16-3-10. "Murder" defined.

"Murder" is the killing of any person with malice aforethought, either express or implied

SECTION 16-3-50. Manslaughter.

A person convicted of manslaughter, or the unlawful killing of another without malice, express or implied, must be imprisoned not more than thirty years or less than two years.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 16-55; 1952 Code Section 16-55; 1942 Code Section 1107; 1932 Code Section 1107; Cr. C. '22 Section 10; Cr. C. '12 Section 148; Cr. C. '02 Section 120; G. S. 2465; R. S. 120; 1869 (14) 175; 1931 (38) 332; 1934 (38) 1463; 1993 Act No. 184, Section 159.

Malice aforethought is kinda like premeditation but not truly the same. I'm not familiar enough with SC law to try to explain the difference.

Also, as SC appears to be a true grand jury case, I don't know that it is accurate that he has been charged with murder. It seems more likely that the prosecutor is asking for an indictment for murder.

I have a hard time seeing this as other than murder, but I agree it could result in a manslaughter conviction.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    With all due respect, I don't have a flagpole tall enough to raise a BS flag as high as I would like over that belief. How in the world does driving a 90s Mercedes, one we don't know that he even owned, indicate the victim's "state of mind?" The only thing I can say with certainty about this guy was he had more kids than he could afford, he didn't want to go to jail, and made the bad decision to run. None of those are deserving of a death sentence.

Well, gee, reading incomprehension much?
    Do I need a notarized statement to make the point that this was a bad shoot in order for you to believe me?
    You just can't take yes for an answer.
    Get the chip off of your shoulder for five minutes and actually take my words at face value, for God's sake.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I respect and admire your established faith in the system and hope you are right. I'm not sure how you define common decency, but it's not something that I see very often when faced with these situations.

Terrorist Pressure Cooker Bomb Boy (Dzokhar Tsarniev) was convicted on all counts yesterday.
    I have little doubt that it won't go well for this LEO, and the number of people crossing their fingers hoping for him to walk will be almost infinitesimally small and shunned.
    It will be ordinary, average Americans of various races on the jury, and -- at least given what we now know -- they will almost certainly vote to convict.
    This identity politics crap must go.
    I doubt I'm alone in that opinion.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would have, I feel there are plenty of instances of injustice to go around. These incidents are not race exclusive, but the media would have you believe they are because it creates a sellable story and promotes outrage which leads to more opportunities for them to exploit.

If your post history agrees, I must commend you.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Terrorist Pressure Cooker Bomb Boy (Dzokhar Tsarniev) was convicted on all counts yesterday.
    I have little doubt that it won't go well for this LEO, and the number of people crossing their fingers hoping for him to walk will be almost infinitesimally small and shunned.
    It will be ordinary, average Americans of various races on the jury, and -- at least given what we now know -- they will almost certainly vote to convict.
    I haven't kept up on the legal end of this. Have specific charges been levied against the LEO?
    I've tried to stay away from the slanted media. In this case their slant might have some justification to them.
    The reason I asked about specific charges is I was wondering about plea bargaining or reduction of charges to 2nd or 3rd manslaughter, heat of the moment stuff. I am asking.
    Thanks.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I have not posted anything about "identity politics". I'm not sure how you know who will be on the jury, but that doesn't matter to me. We have not seen everything dealing with this case and there will be much more to come. We have just seen the dashcam video and now there appears to be other eye witnesses. What about other conversations with the officer and others via walkie talkies? My faith just isn't as strong as yours, but don't read into that, because I'm sure you would not appreciate someone doing that to you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I heard an FBI agent (former state police) on fox news the other morning saying every time the FBI sends agents out into the field (serve warrant, surveillance, etc) they have a meeting where the rules of engagement are discussed and laid out. He said police officers get this briefing once in their career, during their time at the academy. He thinks this is something that should be a part of daily briefings. Not sure I agree with that, nor feel it would do much good. After awhile it would become mindless background noise. But I think he makes a valid point about the rules of engagement.. you have way more contact and potential for violent encounters on a day to day basis then an FBI agent does. yet they are briefed EVERYTIME they go out to enforce an action. Something to consider...

My agency conducts regular training (as frequently as we can) and the rules of engagement are covered pretty extensively. The FBI can conduct a briefing every time they do something like that because it's pretty rare, street cops do it 20 times a day. I'm all about education and training but I cannot put much faith in recommendations from a federal agency, I've worked with them and they have virtually nothing in common with local police. Not discounting what they do, it is just extremely different.

I'd be willing to bet the officer in question had ample training and any reasonable officer with the same training would have made a different decision.

I believe my agency is better than many when it comes to training. Unfortunately someone doesn't feel it's important as he just vetoed 2.5 million dollars which was supposed to go toward improving our facilities and therefore our training. The situations in Ferguson and North Charleston must seem like fun.

http://wishtv.com/2015/04/10/ballard-vetoes-4-7m-for-impd-improvements/

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have not posted anything about "identity politics". I'm not sure how you know who will be on the jury, but that doesn't matter to me. We have not seen everything dealing with this case and there will be much more to come. We have just seen the dashcam video and now there appears to be other eye witnesses. What about other conversations with the officer and others via walkie talkies? My faith just isn't as strong as yours, but don't read into that, because I'm sure you would not appreciate someone doing that to you.

Yes, the system can fail, as it certainly does all too often, but I still believe the average person has two eyes, two ears, and a conscience.
    There may be more details to come that either mitigate or aggravate this shoot, but the average Joe and average Joanna see this for what it is, and wants justice served, whatever that may be and whatever course that may take.
    If that justice winds up impeded in any way, make book on it that it wil be the mouthpieces and the lawyers in black robes who will be the ones who caused it, not the people deciding the case.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I believe my agency is better than many when it comes to training. Unfortunately someone doesn't feel it's important as he just vetoed 2.5 million dollars which was supposed to go toward improving our facilities and therefore our training. The situations in Ferguson and North Charleston must seem like fun.
    Ballard vetoes $4.7M for IMPD improvements | WISH-TV

Please don't tell me this was done so he can have more money for his soccer stadium

Top Bottom