• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    There is specific case law from the USSC that prevents this. I'm not saying it's right, but in Indiana, carrying a firearm is illegal without a license and an officer has a right to detain you until you prove that you have a valid license.

There is a gray area there.. I think if the officer has "reason" to believe a law is being broken they can do what they feel is necessary.

A firearm is just a clear "reason".

A garantee you any police officer can come up with some reason to detain and question someone and it would be accepted.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Drop leg holster = mall ninja

If you think it makes sense to carry one if these around when you aren't going into battle, I'm going to discount everything you say. Sure, it is your right... That doesn't make it right though.

Freaking hilarious.

If you think otherwise, I'll throw you in the same class as the mall ninja idiots.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero

If you think it makes sense to carry one if these around when you aren't going into battle, I'm going to discount everything you say. Sure, it is your right... That doesn't make it right though.

Freaking hilarious.

If you think otherwise, I'll throw you in the same class as the mall ninja idiots.

:popcorn:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Freaking hilarious.

Glad you finally weighed in bigus. I've been on the edge of my seat wondering how you felt about someone wearing a drop leg holster.

Whew! Glad we go that cleared up!

:laugh:

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer

Sorry for voicing an opinion, but if you want to walk around like Rambo in todays climate you may be in for a few surprises. That's just the way it is. Doesn't make what went down on the bridge right, but you have to be realistic. Who's to say what the person who called it in said anyway? Could be anything.

Inuring the anti-gun crowd to OC will never happen unilaterally. Ever. No matter what. Again, it's not right that this happened but when the media whips itself into a frenzy on the gun issue and the (uninformed) general public buys into it, you're gonna have results like this.

Read this https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

It might change the your view a little. Most of the time I cc, but there are times that I will oc because I want to excerise my rights. For a long time, I would never OC because of the "First one shot" theory read this thread AND doing some research on my own has changed my view. Just my :twocents:.

Thanks for the response. I have checked that thread out and will continue to follow it.

Look... I realize I've got a lot to learn about all the topics discussed here and look forward to doing so. At this point, being brand new to gun ownership and all, I'm just trying to soak up everything I can. Obviously my initial reply to this thread didn't go over too well with some of you, but I didn't mean to pi$$ in anyones Cheerios.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is specific case law from the USSC that prevents this. I'm not saying it's right, but in Indiana, carrying a firearm is illegal without a license and an officer has a right to detain you until you prove that you have a valid license.

And this is exactly why I CC. I do not wish to be detained unless I have actually broken a law.
    I have been pulled over multiple times on my bikes when LEO would see my sidearm under my jacket etc. When I produce documentation then they want to run you through the ringer. Never let an opportunity get passed. Pisses me off.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Freaking hilarious.

And then there is this thought. If you want to make a scene or be seen I would say you succeeded.
    I have a couple of drop leg rigs that we wear when doing the he-man camp outs deep in the woods. I would never wear one in the city.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    There is a gray area there.. I think if the officer has "reason" to believe a law is being broken they can do what they feel is necessary.

A firearm is just a clear "reason".

A garantee you any police officer can come up with some reason to detain and question someone and it would be accepted.

They have to be able to prove before a judge why they detained.....and many officer have gottin into trouble because of this....I think if the OP contacts Guy its going to be a field day on these officers. Having a firearm is not a clear "reason" to stop, detain and search someone. If that was the law everyone who OC's would be stopped every time they left the house.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the OP lawyers up he may be opening a great big stinky can of fried POO....be careful.

Ask me how I know...............well, you can ask I just won't answer.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Sorry for voicing an opinion, but if you want to walk around like Rambo in todays climate you may be in for a few surprises. That's just the way it is. Doesn't make what went down on the bridge right, but you have to be realistic. Who's to say what the person who called it in said anyway? Could be anything.

Inuring the anti-gun crowd to OC will never happen unilaterally. Ever. No matter what. Again, it's not right that this happened but when the media whips itself into a frenzy on the gun issue and the (uninformed) general public buys into it, you're gonna have results like this.

Thanks for the response. I have checked that thread out and will continue to follow it.

Look... I realize I've got a lot to learn about all the topics discussed here and look forward to doing so. At this point, being brand new to gun ownership and all, I'm just trying to soak up everything I can. Obviously my initial reply to this thread didn't go over too well with some of you, but I didn't mean to pi$$ in anyones Cheerios.

Don't worry about folks thinking you pi$$ed in their Cheerios. It's their choice as to whether they're gonna eat them or not. Your opinion is as valid as any other, and better articulated than some. :yesway:

OC is what it is. Look at fat people in speedo/bikini on the beach. Yep, they have a right to dress that way. Yep, it is politically/socially incorrect to make disparaging remarks about them, but: THEY ARE STILL FAT. You can't change that. It Is, What It Is. And some people will respond poorly to that.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Today was probably the most extreme treatment I have ever had by the police.

I went out today walking to go to the Martins on Ironwood by IUSB to pick up a few groceries. I was in a hoodie, tan combat pants, and my combat boots and i had my Glock 26 on a leg holster. I went to Martins picked up my goods and went out of the store and headed back to my house. I was minding my own, carrying my groceries thinking about the daily tasks I had left to do when all of a sudden....

A SBPD car flashed their lights blocked the bridge traffic as another cop car did the same, another pulled up behind, and two others blocked the traffic again. 4 officer got out had their guns at the low ready at me and one officer directed me to drop my bag and place my hands in the air where he could see them. He then approached me as the other few officers there and asked me why are you carrying blah blah and do you have a permit to carry.

This scared the absolute **** out of me. He took my wallet out of my pocket where another officer started saying I honor your carrying your handgun but since you are carrying we have the right to do this blah blah and that since this day in age peoples view of guns and what not.

After the officer verified my permit they let me go.

Alright AAR time.

First off I am one guy carrying a bag of groceries, 5 cop cars respond close the bridge block off traffic all to make sure I was made an example.

NOW i can understand if the call came across as man with a gun on a bridge I can totally understand the magnitude of the response by the SBPD. HOWEVER the operator should have asked what the hell I was doing. I called the records department and asked what exactly went down. They told me it was a anonymous phone call and I would have to come in and see the report myself.

It was a bit over exaggerated today, scared the crap out of me thought I was getting arrested and what not. It was a hassle for the officers because to close that section of traffic off is a bit nuts, and a danger to motorists because that bridge with the two lights is a bit of a hassle as well.

I plan on going in Friday to the SBPD to talk to them about all of this I will keep you posted.

Thought I would share my little experience with INGO

Thanks!!!

I am guessing the Krispy Kreme and Dunkin stores were closed then and they had nothing better to do? ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't worry about folks thinking you pi$$ed in their Cheerios. It's their choice as to whether they're gonna eat them or not. Your opinion is as valid as any other, and better articulated than some. :yesway:

OC is what it is. Look at fat people in speedo/bikini on the beach. Yep, they have a right to dress that way. Yep, it is politically/socially incorrect to make disparaging remarks about them, but: THEY ARE STILL FAT. You can't change that. It Is, What It Is. And some people will respond poorly to that.

Thanks for the video............... ugh.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Driving without a license is also illegal. Do they have a right to detain you until you prove you have a valid license?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Freaking hilarious.

Really? Wow. The ignorance just flows from you, eh?

He can carry however he wants to. I carry a drop leg occasionally, and I think I'll start doing it more often. It's more comfortable, easier to draw. Why wouldn't I want that? Hell, I'll carry a couple long guns, too, because it's practical, and I can. What then?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

He can carry however he wants to. I carry a drop leg occasionally, and I think I'll start doing it more often. It's more comfortable, easier to draw. Why wouldn't I want that? Hell, I'll carry a couple long guns, too, because it's practical, and I can. What then?

I would say it is on you. Carry as you wish....invite everyone to the party. Have a great time.

Many think this is a bit cowboy. It is only an opinion and nothing more. Might be expressed a bit loudly but an opinion all the same.

Right now we do not need to make a scene. JMHO and nothing more.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I would say it is on you. Carry as you wish....invite everyone to the party. Have a great time.

Many think this is a bit cowboy. It is only an opinion and nothing more. Might be expressed a bit loudly but an opinion all the same.

Right now we do not need to make a scene. JMHO and nothing more.

HOW IN THE HELL IS WALKING HOME FROM THE GROCERY STORE "MAKING A SCENE?" WHY IN THE HELL DOES IT MATTER HOW SOMEONE CARRIES?

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I don't think you were Cheerio peeing at all.

It's just that these threads are often jacked to a CC/OC discussion, usually steered there by anti OC members who think that OCers need to do it like they do.

The fact that he was OC or that he was using a drop leg has absolutely no bearing on what the cops did and the legalities involved. The same thing could have happened to a CCer when he accidently showed his gun in the grocery while leaning over to pick out his cottage cheese.

His method of carry is completely immaterial. The OP was engaged in a completely LEGAL activity, posing ZERO threat and was attacked by badged thugs with weapons drawn for carrying his groceries.

His carry method is not material since it was 100% legal.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side

HOW IN THE HELL IS WALKING HOME FROM THE GROCERY STORE "MAKING A SCENE?" WHY IN THE HELL DOES IT MATTER HOW SOMEONE CARRIES?

It is clear that you don't get it and therefor fall firmly in the pool with the mall ninja! But that is just my ignorant opinion afterall.

Hopefully rhino will let you borrow his speedo (for swimming in my pool of idiots).

P.s. not that you can comprehend... but just because you can doesn't mean you should. So far as why shouldn't you, well... Why don't you??? Maybe because people will point and laugh. Maybe because you'll attract negative unwanted attention. Maybe because you'll look like an idiot.

Top Bottom