• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There seems to be a pattern of such intimidation and harassment in South Bend. It appears to be a coordinated attempt to repress the people from lawfully bearing arms.

T2D4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    yikes. so weird to see this thread juxtaposed against LSB's "where did you OC today".

SBPD definitely has its own issues to deal with. lots of tension since the all the phone-tapping BS.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Open carry is not reason enough to stop you in states where you don't need a permit to OC. Indiana requires a license to carry, even OC, and therefore they were within the law to stop you. You are required to show your LTCH when requested.

I don't see that the police did anything wrong per say, besides over react. Isn't it funny how they can pull their gun any time and we would go to jail if ours came unholstered?

Gonna stop everyone driving because they must have a license to drive? If that was the case, we'd have license checkpoints instead of DUI checkpoints. SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS!

OP, I think you need to contact a lawyer right now and stop talking about it on the forum. IMHO, the police are trying to intimidate citizens to the point they will lay down their guns.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Just carrying a weapon isn't reasonable suspicion. I would engage an attorney, and stop posting on here.

It is in Indiana.

He shouldn't have worn a drop leg holster, everyone knows you only wear those when you are going FULL YEAGER! If he had a regular holster only three cops might have showed up pointing guns at him, but I'm sure a minimum of 5 officers are required if the suspect has tactical ninja gear on...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I live about three blocks from that Martins (Which is in Mishawaka city limits) I have OC there many times with no problems. But being it only takes a few min. to walk that bridge and 5 leo's showed up, I wonder if the call came from inside the store or the parking lot.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    He took my wallet out of my pocket where another officer started saying I honor your carrying your handgun but since you are carrying we have the right to do this blah blah and that since this day in age peoples view of guns and what not.

....this day in age, people's view of guns and whatnot" has what bearing on the current laws as written. I agree that dispatchers should be trained to ask a little more information. Like maybe: "is the man in question threatning you or anyone around him?' or: Is the man in question pointing the gun at anyone?" or "is the gun in it's holster?"
    Maybe this would only complicate things but if the dispatcher cannot verify some threatning behvior according to the caller they should not send patrols. :twocents:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Today was probably the most extreme treatment I have ever had by the police.

I went out today walking to go to the Martins on Ironwood by IUSB to pick up a few groceries. I was in a hoodie, tan combat pants, and my combat boots and i had my Glock 26 on a leg holster. I went to Martins picked up my goods and went out of the store and headed back to my house. I was minding my own, carrying my groceries thinking about the daily tasks I had left to do when all of a sudden....

A SBPD car flashed their lights blocked the bridge traffic as another cop car did the same, another pulled up behind, and two others blocked the traffic again. 4 officer got out had their guns at the low ready at me and one officer directed me to drop my bag and place my hands in the air where he could see them. He then approached me as the other few officers there and asked me why are you carrying blah blah and do you have a permit to carry.

This scared the absolute **** out of me. He took my wallet out of my pocket where another officer started saying I honor your carrying your handgun but since you are carrying we have the right to do this blah blah and that since this day in age peoples view of guns and what not.

After the officer verified my permit they let me go.

Alright AAR time.

First off I am one guy carrying a bag of groceries, 5 cop cars respond close the bridge block off traffic all to make sure I was made an example.

NOW i can understand if the call came across as man with a gun on a bridge I can totally understand the magnitude of the response by the SBPD. HOWEVER the operator should have asked what the hell I was doing. I called the records department and asked what exactly went down. They told me it was a anonymous phone call and I would have to come in and see the report myself.

It was a bit over exaggerated today, scared the crap out of me thought I was getting arrested and what not. It was a hassle for the officers because to close that section of traffic off is a bit nuts, and a danger to motorists because that bridge with the two lights is a bit of a hassle as well.

I plan on going in Friday to the SBPD to talk to them about all of this I will keep you posted.

Thought I would share my little experience with INGO

Thanks!!!

One of our own:

The Law Offices of Guy A. Relford
    www.relfordlaw.com

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ^^^ I agree 100%. The problem isn't those carrying, or the police responding. The problem is the stupid public yelling "gun".

I would love a 911 call:
    D - "911 what's your emergency?"
    I - "There's a man with the gun!"
    D - "Is he threating a person or a business?"
    I - "Neither, he's got it on his hip and he's not a cop."
    D - "Do you realize it's perfectly legal for citizens to own and carry guns?"
    I - "I don't care, he shouldn't have a gun"
    D - "do you realize that misuse of the 911 system is illegal"
    I - "......"
    D - "thank you, have a nice day".

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Only SWAT cops should use drop leg holster. Having that gun right under your hand is scary, since it would only take a second to sneak it out of the holster. Ban assault holsters!

Seriously though, a drop holster is really obvious and draws maximum attention to yourself, being that is is unusual to see straps and a thigh rig on someone's leg (unless they are walking with crutches or something). So if you choose to OC in this fashion, the antis are not going to overlook you. IMO thigh holsters are superb for tactical training, but absolutely silly for daily wear anyways.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It's not how I OC, but it is one of the most comfortable ways. Perhaps that is why.

Not only most comfortable, but affords a very quick draw. There's less motion involved in drawing, don't have to raise your hand to waist level first. I think its a lot more natural. It's really a matter of what people are used to seeing and not seeing. I'm all for getting people more used to the sight of guns. A man should not be harrassed by 5 squad cars simply for wearing a holstered handgun. I applaud the OP for what he did, I think a lot more of us should do it. If there were hundreds or thousands going about our daily routing in this fashion, the police would have to re-think the criteria for stopping someone.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    I have to honestly say if I saw you with that rig dressed that way, and I was one of the anti-gun lemmings, it would be hard not to say something to someone, cops or otherwise.

Do you wear this thing regularly? Is this the only time you've had trouble? I realize it's perfectly legal but you may want to tone it down until the dust settles a bit on the whole gun climate.

Personally I don't see the allure of OC. If and when I do get my LTCH, it will be CC for me all the way. No need to announce to anybody you're carrying IMO. It does nothing more than draw attention to yourself and right now that's not such a good thing.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    Only SWAT cops should use drop leg holster. Having that gun right under your hand is scary, since it would only take a second to sneak it out of the holster. Ban assault holsters!

Seriously though, a drop holster is really obvious and draws maximum attention to yourself, being that is is unusual to see straps and a thigh rig on someone's leg (unless they are walking with crutches or something). So if you choose to OC in this fashion, the antis are not going to overlook you. IMO thigh holsters are superb for tactical training, but absolutely silly for daily wear anyways.

I just wore it just to pretty much, I usually do a hip holster but I decided why not today.

Top Bottom