• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just got caught up on this thread. It was like a rollercoaster. Started out *****ing about the coaching and all the mistakes, then the mood slowly changes when they started playing well at the end... win! Then it starts plunging down the other side into *****ing about the coaching and all the mistakes. :):

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Those of you who missed the Seahawks and Cardinals last night play to a 6-6 tie missed what is now widely regarded as the worst played game in NFL history. So at least the Colts weren't involved in that game.

I made the mistake of staying up watching that one until the end. It was like a train wreck watching the kickers fail to close out the game. As far as worst ever...it was actually a pretty interesting defensive battle the first 3 quarters, with some amazing special teams plays on both sides to block kicks at key points in the game.

But OT was by far one of the worst quarters of football I've seen in a long time.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I thought the officiating was fine until the fourth quarter. The Colts were earning all of the penalties they got called for. Things got really inconsistent at the end, though. A cheap DPI extended a Titans drive, and was later followed by the worst DPI call I've seen, perhaps in all of football. Davis made an all-pro pass defense, and the refs flagged Green - who was on the bench. The biggest problem there, though, was that the calls weren't consistent both ways. Doyle got mugged in the red zone, with obvious contact before the ball, and no flag. And McNary earned every bit of his PF that erased the PRob interception, but apparently the identical hit on Street going the other way was A-OK to the officials. And then there was that super-cheap motion penalty on Gore that wiped out a TY TD. (Fortunately, Doyle Rules, and scored a TD a few plays later.)

Luck played like an MVP yesterday. The O Line did what it needed to do - which is basically "don't suck". The defense was atrocious, blowing yet another double-digit lead. (The Drive - and if you watched the game, you know the one I mean - exemplified what our defense is. Drive extended twice by penalties, and they allowed the Titans to convert 3rd-and-15, 3rd-and-20, and 2nd-and-20.)

The coaching was terrible. Punt from 4th and 1 inside the 50, call an inexplicable timeout to help the Titans manage the clock in the 2-minute drill, and then when the Titans inevitably score, take a knee with 34 seconds and 2 timeouts, with Luck playing as well as he has ever played.

Well said on all points. Sometimes I wonder if some of the really bone head play calls come from the coaching staff either being completely task saturated, or just so focused on what's on their game plan sheet (that fancy laminated page we see all the offensive coordinators putting over their mic when calling the plays) says to run that they mis the obvious.

Its been a long time now, but we played against a team when I was in college that no kidding had the first 15 or so plays scripted and they wouldn't change that. Our defensive coordinator picked up on the patter in film study and we saw them do it a number of times. Sometimes they started at a different point in the cycle, but it was pretty predictable what was coming. Maybe the same thing going on with the Colts?

The thing that really frustrates me is the lack of preparedness that is evident at all levels. If you are Andrew Luck and you are in a certain situation, say 3rd and short and the play clock is under 10 seconds, you have to know what play to run and so does the entire offense. That's what audibles are for. QB calls the audible using a code word (Like Omaha for example) and the team knows what to run and executes. You can easily have 3-4 pre-determined plays ready based on down and distance. I just don't see evidence of that with this team.

We had some dropped balls and other silly plays that just seemed to be the kinds of things you see in a pre-game 3/4 speed walk through, not in the game. I wonder if in the effort to try to keep guys healthy, that the intensity of preparation at practice is way down and thus guys are getting used to going part throttle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well said on all points. Sometimes I wonder if some of the really bone head play calls come from the coaching staff either being completely task saturated, or just so focused on what's on their game plan sheet (that fancy laminated page we see all the offensive coordinators putting over their mic when calling the plays) says to run that they mis the obvious.

Its been a long time now, but we played against a team when I was in college that no kidding had the first 15 or so plays scripted and they wouldn't change that. Our defensive coordinator picked up on the patter in film study and we saw them do it a number of times. Sometimes they started at a different point in the cycle, but it was pretty predictable what was coming. Maybe the same thing going on with the Colts?

The thing that really frustrates me is the lack of preparedness that is evident at all levels. If you are Andrew Luck and you are in a certain situation, say 3rd and short and the play clock is under 10 seconds, you have to know what play to run and so does the entire offense. That's what audibles are for. QB calls the audible using a code word (Like Omaha for example) and the team knows what to run and executes. You can easily have 3-4 pre-determined plays ready based on down and distance. I just don't see evidence of that with this team.

We had some dropped balls and other silly plays that just seemed to be the kinds of things you see in a pre-game 3/4 speed walk through, not in the game. I wonder if in the effort to try to keep guys healthy, that the intensity of preparation at practice is way down and thus guys are getting used to going part throttle.

You play like you practice.
    You also play like you are coached.
    The cardinals seahawk game was (as mentioned up thread) a defensive juggernaut. Fast well executed defensive play on both sides of the ball for 3 solid Quarter.

Top Bottom