• ...and so much more!
  • bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    No safety version, please.

I'm with theweakerbrother on this one. I would love to see a no-safety version.

Hey, guys, I'm down here at NRA 2012 and have some info for you. I spoke extensively to a Smith rep who aided in the design of the Shield. I'm sorry to say this, but after talking to the Smith rep today, there will not be a non-safety version. One of the common complaint about the M&P line, in addition to the trigger, was that there were way to many variants of the compact and full size line. Customers we getting irriatated in trying to find a M&P with they particular options. Also, in knowing that people would be either pocket holstering or appendix carrying, they made a desicion to for the safety of their customers in order to CYA for the company from greedy lawyers and stupid people (unfortunately they're out there). In order to maintain a streamline product line and reduce manufacture/design cost, a non-safety version was not an option. With the run of the shield, the only pistols that will be available, will be compliant with every states regualtion.

On another note, the safety is not easily activated/deactivated if holstered. You should have no problem wearing it anyway you want and not worry about deactivating/activating the safety duing EDC.

Sorry guys, but unfortunately, you can't please everybody, thats just business...

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I paid $389 at PSS, I think that $289 is a typo. If not, I'm going back to buy everything they get. lol

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    How do they compare in size to a Kahr PM9? I carry my Kahr in a back pocket wallet holster from Stoner, and its about as big as I can do that with. If I have to carry in a belt holster Ive got plenty of pistols for that

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Geez guys. LOOK at the safety. It is not jutting out past the side of the pistol so it would never be accidentally engaged or not. A deep cover pistol like this has to have a safety. I simply can't see all the whining at S&W over this. What other decision could they have made for such a small pistol?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Geez guys. LOOK at the safety. It is not jutting out past the side of the pistol so it would [STRIKE]never [/STRIKE] potentially be accidentally engaged or not. A deep cover pistol like this doesn't need [STRIKE]has to have[/STRIKE] a safety (Just like Revolvers, Most newer .380s and G26, Kahrs, et all). I simply can't see all the whining at S&W over this. What other decision could they have made for such a small pistol?

You've obviously never met someone named Murphy, have you?

Carry in the style in which you train with and train with what you carry. I don't carry a gun because it's fun, because it looks cool or because it's an accessory to my swanky tie. I carry a gun because it might save someone's life. A safety which has been accidentally engaged when the user has drawn it to fire has now given ample opportunity for someone to have the upper hand as I look like a dumb(er) ape trying to fiddle with a lever.

Just because you don't get it doesn't mean there isn't demand for it or that there are multiple reasons why people prefer non-safety versions of firearms. :ingo:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I haven't seen the pistol, but my gut tells me that if the safety is an issue, it could be deactivated without much effort.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    How do they compare in size to a Kahr PM9? I carry my Kahr in a back pocket wallet holster from Stoner, and its about as big as I can do that with. If I have to carry in a belt holster Ive got plenty of pistols for that

The thread in the site advertiser section from Bradis has a video that compares the shield to the Kahr among others.

I'm posting this on all the various "Shield" threads going on right now.
    I have the PM9 and I would LOVE to go to the range with someone who owns the new shield. I own a M&P full in 9mm and pro in 9mm also so having my subcompact as a M&P would be nice. The single stage trigger on the Kahr is buttahh, but it is the ONLY single stage trigger gun I own so it takes the first two rounds for my brain to transition to it each time I shoot it.
    I'll supply some ammo, a Kahr PM9 (M&P full and pro for that matter) and let anyone do a shooting comparison if someone in the group brings the Shield. I'm north of Indy, belong to HCFG but willing to travel. :ar15:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The thread in the site advertiser section from Bradis has a video that compares the shield to the Kahr among others.

I'm posting this on all the various "Shield" threads going on right now.
    I saw a comparison of the Nano and Shield on Youtube today. I was sure that I was going to buy a Nano, but now the Shield is calling my name. I'm in no big rush, but I would like to see a Shield side-by-side with a Nano.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Good God, that makes the Nano look even uglier! ;)

A deep cover pistol like this has to have a safety.

Kahr, Diamondback and plenty of other manufacturers disagree. I would, however, be interested in hearing why you think this is so.

What other decision could they have made for such a small pistol?

Make it without a manual safety or make the manual safety optional, as with the rest of the M&P line? :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Kudos for S&W for coming out with a slim single-stack 9mm.

I can't get past the manual safety though. Oh well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I dislike manual safeties, but after shooting it, I got over that issue pretty quick. Besides, what would keep one from tacking down the safety if it was that big of a problem? I'm sure there are some 'smiths out there who can do such a thing. I had the grip safety on my 1911 tacked down and it's great.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Lawyers.

I'm not going to carry a gun that I've intentionally "deactivated a safety mechanism" on.

Just curious.

How would deactivating a safety mechanism make a gun "more deadly"?

Wouldn't doing work on the trigger be "worse", in the eyes of a lawyer?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How would deactivating a safety mechanism make a gun "more deadly"?

It doesn't.

But a good prosecutor is going to argue that you showed recklessness by removing a known safety mechanism that was installed by the manufacturer.

I didn't say it had to make any sense.

Wouldn't doing work on the trigger be "worse", in the eyes of a lawyer?

A good defense attorney could better articulate a reason for an "enhancement" long before he could try and justify removal of a safety device.

All IMO and IANAL.

Top Bottom